Rat/mouse problem

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
First off should a rat/mouse be able to get into the car? I feel like it’s a manufacturing defect that should be covered they are destroying my beautiful new Bronco what should I do??
They are sneaky and can squeeze into very small gaps. He or she is only looking for a home away from the cold. If you park outside your more at risk. Was an article awhile back about a squirrel that filled an engine bay with walnuts. Its just what rodents do.

From what I heard they leave when the car moves so driving should chase it out for a small time. If you don't have pets or kids you can leave bait traps and hope it dies outside the sport. Keeping it out entirely is almost impossible.

Be sure to check your important parts for damage as they like to chew on things. Could also get a dozen cats and be the crazy bronco cat guy or gal or other non binary individual.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
There are sprays and oils that will supposedly keep them away. I have no experience with them.

I have used moth balls to drive rats out of my shed.

Reactions: Jrl

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
unfortunately those little suckers can pretty much find a way into anything. If they can find a space that their skull fits through, they are coming in. I fight a constant war with them at work and I'm usually losing.

if you are inside a garage, i would put traps around. There are also those ultra sonic mouse repellent things but I have no idea if they work or just snake oil.

Really a crummy issue to deal with, sorry to hear it ?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I keep spring loaded mouse traps from hardware store in my garage with fresh peanut butter on them. Have got a couple over the years. I also have cats that like to do all night outside patrols which works pretty good too...

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
unfortunately those little suckers can pretty much find a way into anything. If they can find a space that their skull fits through, they are coming in. I fight a constant war with them at work and I'm usually losing.

if you are inside a garage, i would put traps around. There are also those ultra sonic mouse repellent things but I have no idea if they work or just snake oil.

Really a crummy issue to deal with, sorry to hear it ?
The ultrasonic repellents work great for mice. Spiders, not so much.

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
First off should a rat/mouse be able to get into the car? I feel like it’s a manufacturing defect that should be covered they are destroying my beautiful new Bronco what should I do??
It must be a Ford thing. I have caught 26 mice using spring traps in the cab of my 2013 F150 which is parked outside.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
It must be a Ford thing. I have caught 26 mice using spring traps in the cab of my 2013 F150 which is parked outside.
Found Out Rats Devour!

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had them in my toyota once too, but it was parked for a week at a trailhead while I was backpacking. I think they'll find a way into any vehicle if they want to. Interesting tip about the mint oil, I'll have to remember that.

bowhunter3714

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
I had posted this in another thread.

OK, I have to chime in here on this mouse issue.

Our 2017 Fusion has had the wiring harness chewed up twice after we purchased it.

Why are rodents attracted to vehicles? I'll tell you. Around 2011 I believe, Ford started using soy based oil.

NOTE: I have a 2011 F-150 that's parked right next to our 2017 Fusion, my truck has never had a rodents problem and I have never treated the engine compartment for rodents.

Ford uses a soy-based electrical wire coating that is cheaper and more environmentally friendly. It also tends to attract rodents that love the material for nest building.

FIXES for this issue.

1. Antifreeze made know days is no longer poisonous to animals like it was back in the day. It may give a dog an upset stomach but will not kill it.
2. The best thing to keep rodents away from your vehicles engine compartment is a rodent spray. These sprays work. Haven't had the wiring harness chewed on since 2019.
Ford Bronco Sport Rat/mouse problem 16375401539621072661112036998675-

Tawnygal

First Edition
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tonyadoughty.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Cotton balls with some peppermint oil on them will keep rodents away and the car will smell great.
The mouse in my daughter's apartment used the peppermint oil soaked cotton balls to build his little mouse nest :)

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
as pointed out above, it is most likely due to soy-based wiring insulation. the rodents are also looking for cozy stuff for their homes. underhood blankets, firewall insulation, plastic stuff etc. we see alot of rodents come in thru the interior exhausters (little flaps behind the rear bumper cover that allow air to escape when you shut the doors).
toyota has an actual chili-pepper tape they use for such items. there are also other ways to keep them out like traps, ultrasonic etc etc.
mice are teenie, they get in the smallest of voids. honestly i don't think any manufacturer would give in to any fault regarding rodents.
any vehicle that sits (now think about all the vehicles sitting waiting for chips, parts etc) for an extended time, will attract rodents.

nch5013

Big Bend
First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 KB Big Bend
Ooof! I have had this issue! Bugger was eating my hiking snacks that I'd leave stashed in the car, and chewed some of the foam spacers where the spare sits.

Changed my cabin air filter a week and a half ago, and shewee!! This! The new K&N has a big rubber "boot" housing that will keep him/her/little sh%% out! Thinking about trying snacks in the car again...
Ford Bronco Sport Rat/mouse problem Screenshot_20220818-093205_Photos
Sponsored