Rat/mouse problem

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I've had rodents infiltrate my engine compartments on a Honda Fit and a Ford Fiesta. The culprits in my case are red squirrels and possibly shrews and voles. I started using the electric zap traps with a few cornnuts for bait. Zapped dozens until the population around the house went down to almost nothing. Now a few years later the population around the house is recovering. took out a couple of squirrels with a 22. I live in the middle of a forest and would leave the critters be if they weren't so destructive.
Sponsored

Froggy

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport base
I live on a farm, tons of rats. You really have to take several preventive steps, there is no , one solution. Like someone said earlier in the post, that some of the foam and wiring are soy base, and rats love soy beans. Cover entrance, with wire scrubs. Spraying with peppermint oil. I also, use electronic sound and light. While, making sure there are no food on the floor, from kids. On top of all that, trapping with a rat trap and mouse trap underneath two front wheels. My bronco with less than 400 miles, was chewed up, in first week. I also, left out corn meal and baking soda!

Almost forgot, I went to harbor freight and bought wire loom, and wire loomed every wire that I could reach. Used tesla tape to secure ends of wire loom. Lol

Last edited:

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Oh My, where to start. I won't bother with tales from the years I lived on an off-grid ranch, in the middle of a Condor refuge in Southern California. You might find ANYTHING in your vehicle! But, now, in a community in the Los Padres National Forest, the big problem is wood rats. Not your little mice (we have them too), but big brown rats. $4000 damage to my F150 which had to live outside because the family car was in the only garage! Got rid of the car AND truck for the BS BL (which lives in the garage). I use electronic noise and light makers to keep the mice out, but the rats fear only other creatures that eat THEM! I've tried many things, including sprays, and various electronic devices (which only seem to work indoors for me), but the only thing that works is peanut butter on a large (rat size 4"x8") spring trap. Got 2 just last week, 1 of which left WITH the trap firmly around his neck (sideways, not a good hit). I found him the next day, still alive, and dropped a log on his head! That one, counting the tail was 14 inches, the earlier one (his mate?) was only 12 inches. So, yeah, rats, mice, and just about any other rodent love to eat wire insulation, plastic and rubber hoses, and just about anything else not made of metal!

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Wifeā€™s friend bought new Honda Odessey. The proud new owner didnā€™t want it sitting at long term parking at the airport while they went back to LA for 2 weeks. Might get vandalized he he
so she she left it with her mother.
Mother no like mini vans.
Mother parked it in the tall grass along side the driveway. mother prefers her BRONCO.

time to go pick up the daughter and kids. only Minivan destroyed. Mice tore thru that thing. wiring + interior. USAA totaled it out yesterday.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
1 of which left WITH the trap firmly around his neck
work assignment
basement
old industrial warehouse
no lighting just cheap-ass ray-o-vac lantern with dying battery
halfway to destination
face to face (skull) with dead rat
not one but the whole rat lineage for eons
all just dangling skeletons in rat traps
someone placed traps on the top of ducts and pipes
trap attached to wire leaders and pipes
trap would snap and leave them hanging
Stephen King kinda stuff

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wifeā€™s friend bought new Honda Odessey. The proud new owner didnā€™t want it sitting at long term parking at the airport while they went back to LA for 2 weeks. Might get vandalized he he
so she she left it with her mother.
Mother no like mini vans.
Mother parked it in the tall grass along side the driveway. mother prefers her BRONCO.

time to go pick up the daughter and kids. only Minivan destroyed. Mice tore thru that thing. wiring + interior. USAA totaled it out yesterday.
mini-van (diaper wagon)
doesn't take long to find a dozen stale french fries
gummie some-thing-or-other and cheerio's
rodents not a surprise

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Place a tiny saucer of antifreeze under your car at night.
It tastes like candy to critters. It will kill them. Or buy poison but get the kind that makes them seek water and place water near by as this will draw them out of the vehicle so you wonā€™t have rotting mouse zombie corpses stinking up your BS somewhere deep inside your dash in some unreachable place.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other solution.
Buy some ā€˜Panther Pissā€™
Yeah Iā€™m not kidding and you can buy it.
Do NOT put it in your vehicle !!!!!
Small plastic bottle,
Tie a few paper towel sections in a knot. Dribble a little Super Cat pee on the knot and toss one under your car, and under the porch, behind the house, by the mail box.
The scent of this predator will drive all your furry critters mad with fear.
Do NOT get this on your skin AND DO NoT D-O N-O-T take a sniff.
I used it to get a squirrel out of my attic.
A week later the neighbors were wondering what happend to the squirrel population and my cat neighbors were taking their cats to the vet because they would no longer go outside.
As for manā€™s best friend.
If your patient your dog will forgive you..
For fun get your buddy to smell a freshly dribbled paper towel. Stand back and watch the show, way back !
He/She will change colors and most likely blow lunch.

Last edited:

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toxoplasmosis, one more thing to get you. I guess Covid is no longer big news.
Centuries from now when mankind is no longer on this planet. Alien anthropologists will land here and study our fossilized remains. Reactivate old data chips. Really get into our business.
When they file their final report it will start with this headline:
Another extinct Industrial race found on a beautiful planet.
As weā€™ve seen on other worlds they fell prey to the Stupid Virus.
Still no intelligent life found anywhere. We are still alone.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just zip tie some dryer sheets under the hood if they get in the engine compartment. The strong smell drives them off.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My explorer got a mouse... One day I bought a muffin and coffee went into work and forgot the muffin. When I got to the car I convinced myself I must have eaten it and thrown the wrapper out but a few weeks later I found the wrapper under the backseat torn to little pieces and made into a bed. I don't condone mouse traps normally, but this is my car, so I went and bought glue traps. I planned on all the floors and a few in the back. I open the tailgate and he is as shocked as I was when I saw him back there. I had a dog bed back there I pulled it out fast and the mouse got trapped under and fell out of the car. I saw it run off. I still set the traps just in case every night for a week but nothing else luckily just the one and no major damage.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Other solution.
Buy some ā€˜Panther Pissā€™
Yeah Iā€™m not kidding and you can buy it.
Do NOT put it in your vehicle !!!!!
Small plastic bottle,
Tie a few paper towel sections in a knot. Dribble a little Super Cat pee on the knot and toss one under your car, and under the porch, behind the house, by the mail box.
The scent of this predator will drive all your furry critters mad with fear.
Do NOT get this on your skin AND DO NoT D-O N-O-T take a sniff.
I used it to get a squirrel out of my attic.
A week later the neighbors were wondering what happend to the squirrel population and my cat neighbors were taking their cats to the vet because they would no longer go outside.
As for manā€™s best friend.
If your patient your dog will forgive you..
For fun get your buddy to smell a freshly dribbled paper towel. Stand back and watch the show, way back !
He/She will change colors and most likely blow lunch.
As I've stated before, I used to own an off-grid ranch in the So Cal mountain badlands. We had lots of visiting critters, including coyotes, an occasional bear, wolf, bobcat, and a mountain lion. We also had a Kuvasz (large guard dog) named Dusty who would chase off anything that came near our goats and sheep. One night, the lion came by and let out a roar under a bedroom window, and promptly left. I took Dusty out, he sniffed the lions track, and huddled up to my leg. He was not about to chase that cat!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need two large dogs. That would scare of the Mt lion.
Sponsored