jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
I realized recently that we got our BS a year ago now! I figured it was time for a bit of a review. In short, we've had absolutely zero issues, and we still love it. It's our only car, so it needs to be able to do a fairly large mix of different things, and it fills that role better than anything else we've ever had.

Our broncito (name still waiting to stick):
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, Area 51 blue, upgraded co-pilot 360+, cargo management system, cargo area protection, no badlands package/moonroof/leather/etc.

Major trips/etc over the last year:
  • TX to camping+offroading in Land Between the Lakes + Turkey Bay (TN/KY) (I should probably write up a trip report, but haven't)
  • Cross-country drive from TX to TN to MI and back to visit family (with hound in the backseat)
  • 7 days in Big Bend (and despite it being in TX, it's still 1000 miles away)
  • Lots of trips down to lost hwy 87
  • Countless trips out to hike with a very smelly and cute hound dog
  • Daily grocery-getting and whatnot
Random aftermarket stuff:
  • Yakima Lock-n-Load platform
  • Rally Innovations front skid plate
  • Roam Adventure Co 95L box (often mounted to platform with a few simple bolts)
  • Ford bronco-branded floor mats
  • Redline tuning hood struts
  • Toyo Open Country AT3 235/65/r17
  • The little tray thingy that fits on the dash behind the center screen
Recalls:
I don't want to jinx myself, but according to all of the NHTSA websites and Ford, none of the recalls have affected my vehicle at all. I honestly expected more issues with a first year model. I guess I luckily got one of the early ones built in late 2020/early 2021 before the various shortages/etc kicked in? (Mine was a dealer mannequin before I bought it.)

Gas Milage:
Okay, the milage for the badlands isn't great. Ours has a rather large roof platform and less road-friendly tires. We average about 19-21 mpg both city and highway. A lot of our long distance driving winds up with the big box loaded on the roof platform, which really hurts highway milage at 70 and above, and is a big part of that average. Neighborhood driving (i.e. short distances with lots of 4-way stops) in the summer with the AC cranked can be as low as 15mpg. Highways at 55mph can be as high as 28mpg. Overall, it's actually about the same as what our old Subaru got, in practice.

It is really fun to drive, though! The 2.0L is peppy!

Interior:
I actually love the interior design. It's exceptionally well-planned and works very well for my needs. All the random pockets and small spaces for gear (and hiding things in the city) are fantastic. I don't make as much use of the MOLLE straps on the seat backs as I should, though. Overall, this is a vehicle that just packs great for camping. The cargo management system makes for a very handy little table, and while I don't often use it for groceries like I thought I would, I still really like it.

The amount of cargo space is nice. Not incredible (at least with a full size spare), but nice. With the back seats up, it's perfectly adequate for as compact as the car is. With the rear seats down, it's really a great amount of space. The cargo protector mats have held up well, and I can't imagine getting one without them, given how often I throw random landscaping/etc stuff in the back. It's nice not to have to worry about tearing up the backside of the rear seats when they're folded down and you're putting stuff on top of them. One thing I adore is how accessible the cargo area is from both the back and from the rear doors. It's very easy to reach things in the middle when the seats are down from back doors. That's really nice when loaded up with camping gear with a big cooler blocking off access from the rear hatch. On a side note, a yeti 110 and a 5gal military water can beside it fit quite nicely across the back, which has become my standard camping setup for the car.

Dog Review:
My dog is stubborn, smelly, loud, gassy, and goes through premium dog food way too fast. That said, she's utterly adorable and I won't be trading her in for the new model...
...Wait, right, review the car<->dog interaction, right, right...

Overall, the BS gets hound approval. Our pup can get in and out without too much trouble, and that really counts for something, as she's getting up there in age and having some hip trouble. The back seat is reasonably comfy for a big pup, and she seems to really like how high she is and how well she can see out the windows in the back.

However, the back door really doesn't open terribly wide. It took her a long time to get used to hopping in. There's not a ton of space for a dog to jump up to the rear floorboard between the back seat and inside edge of the door. She doesn't like jumping directly onto the rear seat (and it's pretty high, too), so it took awhile for her to adapt. It hasn't been a major problem, but I do definitely wish the back door opened out closer to 90 degrees.

Roadtripping:
The various adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and similar features really make this a fantastic car for very long road trips. The high tech bits really do dramatically reduce driver fatigue on long trips and adaptive cruise control makes bouts of heavy traffic on a long drive much less annoying. Initially I heard a lot of people complain about the seats being too shallow or somehow uncomfortable. I've had absolutely zero complaints about the seats on long trips. They're frankly great, and I'm a big guy (6'2", let's pretend I'm still 250lbs).

Onroad Handling:
When you first drive a sport, it feels kinda huge. The clearly visible hood and relatively high-up seating position is most of that, though. As soon as you get used to it, you realize just how agile this car is. It corners really very well (not a sports car, but a lot better than I expected), and the turning radius is way tighter than I expected. It's really very peppy and fun to drive to. I didn't expect it to be as much fun on windy mountain roads as it is, but it's really pretty fun to drive on them!

Offroad Capability:
So I actually do take this out on moderate trails. Look, I know it's not a "real" offroader, but show me something else that's as capable in a compact package that's still a daily driver. The Cherokee Trailhawk is still the only thing that really competes, and I just flat like the sport a lot better. The AWD system in this is frickin incredible. This will climb damn near anything. It could definitely use more clearance, though. 9" isn't really quite enough. I keep toying with the idea of a small lift, and yeah, it would be better offroad if I did, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Overall, a year in, and I've had zero issues and still love the vehicle even more than when I first got it.

Edit: I can't leave out a few photos...
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220403_154656520
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220401_211722416

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20211229_124649795(1)
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20211104_211204782

And of course, the previously-mentioned hound on one of her favorite hikes :)
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220114_175831003
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I realized recently that we got our BS a year ago now! I figured it was time for a bit of a review. In short, we've had absolutely zero issues, and we still love it. It's our only car, so it needs to be able to do a fairly large mix of different things, and it fills that role better than anything else we've ever had.

2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, Area 51 blue, upgraded co-pilot 360+, cargo management system, cargo area protection, no badlands package/moonroof/leather/etc.

• TX to camping+offroading in Land Between the Lakes + Turkey Bay (TN/KY) (I should probably write up a trip report, but haven't)
  • Cross-country drive from TX to TN to MI and back to visit family (with hound in the backseat)
Recalls:
I don't want to jinx myself, but according to all of the NHTSA websites and Ford, none of the recalls have affected my vehicle at all. I honestly expected more issues with a first year model. I guess I luckily got one of the early ones built in late 2020/early 2021 before the various shortages/etc kicked in? (Mine was a dealer mannequin before I bought it.)

Gas Milage:
Okay, the milage for the badlands isn't great. Ours has a rather large roof platform and less road-friendly tires. We average about 19-21 mpg both city and highway. A lot of our long distance driving winds up with the big box loaded on the roof platform, which really hurts highway milage at 70 and above, and is a big part of that average. Neighborhood driving (i.e. short distances with lots of 4-way stops) in the summer with the AC cranked can be as low as 15mpg. Highways at 55mph can be as high as 28mpg. Overall, it's actually about the same as what our old Subaru got, in practice.

Interior:
I actually love the interior design. It's exceptionally well-planned and works very well for my needs. All the random pockets and small spaces for gear (and hiding things in the city) are fantastic. I don't make as much use of the MOLLE straps on the seat backs as I should, though. Overall, this is a vehicle that just packs great for camping. The cargo management system makes for a very handy little table, and while I don't often use it for groceries like I thought I would, I still really like it.

The amount of cargo space is nice. Not incredible (at least with a full size spare), but nice. With the back seats up, it's perfectly adequate for as compact as the car is. With the rear seats down, it's really a great amount of space. The cargo protector mats have held up well, and I can't imagine getting one without them, given how often I throw random landscaping/etc stuff in the back. It's nice not to have to worry about tearing up the backside of the rear seats when they're folded down and you're putting stuff on top of them. One thing I adore is how accessible the cargo area is from both the back and from the rear doors. It's very easy to reach things in the middle when the seats are down from back doors. That's really nice when loaded up with camping gear with a big cooler blocking off access from the rear hatch. On a side note, a yeti 110 and a 5gal military water can beside it fit quite nicely across the back, which has become my standard camping setup for the car.

Dog Review:
My dog is stubborn, smelly, loud, gassy, and goes through premium dog food way too fast. That said, she's utterly adorable and I won't be trading her in for the new model...

Overall, the BS gets hound approval. Our pup can get in and out without too much trouble, and that really counts for something, as she's getting up there in age and having some hip trouble. The back seat is reasonably comfy for a big pup, and she seems to really like how high she is and how well she can see out the windows in the back.

However, the back door really doesn't open terribly wide. It took her a long time to get used to hopping in. There's not a ton of space for a dog to jump up to the rear floorboard between the back seat and inside edge of the door. She doesn't like jumping directly onto the rear seat (and it's pretty high, too), so it took awhile for her to adapt. It hasn't been a major problem, but I do definitely wish the back door opened out closer to 90 degrees.

Roadtripping:
The various adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and similar features really make this a fantastic car for very long road trips. The high tech bits really do dramatically reduce driver fatigue on long trips and adaptive cruise control makes bouts of heavy traffic on a long drive much less annoying. Initially I heard a lot of people complain about the seats being too shallow or somehow uncomfortable. I've had absolutely zero complaints about the seats on long trips. They're frankly great, and I'm a big guy (6'2", let's pretend I'm still 250lbs).

Onroad Handling:
When you first drive a sport, it feels kinda huge. The clearly visible hood and relatively high-up seating position is most of that, though. As soon as you get used to it, you realize just how agile this car is. It corners really very well (not a sports car, but a lot better than I expected), and the turning radius is way tighter than I expected. It's really very peppy and fun to drive to. I didn't expect it to be as much fun on windy mountain roads as it is, but it's really pretty fun to drive on them!

Offroad Capability:
So I actually do take this out on moderate trails. Look, I know it's not a "real" offroader, but show me something else that's as capable in a package that's still a daily driver. The Cherokee Trailhawk is still the only thing that really competes, and I just flat like the sport a lot better. The AWD system in this is frickin incredible. This will climb damn near anything. It could definitely use more clearance, though. 9" isn't really quite enough. I keep toying with the idea of a small lift, and yeah, it would be better offroad if I did, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Overall, a year in, and I've had zero issues and still love the vehicle even more than when I first got it.
14 months in ditto above observation ,not a single issue . Great suv .

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review 7A647AEC-F7A5-45DC-AFBC-630A63D1DB50

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review 8AEBD883-B418-421A-9E23-3E426754C081

Polish ghost

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford escape

Recalls:

Gas Milage:

Interior:

Dog Review:

Roadtripping:

Onroad Handling:

Offroad Capability:
So I actually do take this out on moderate trails. Look, I know it's not a "real" offroader, but show me something else that's as capable in a package that's still a daily driver. The Cherokee Trailhawk is still the only thing that really competes, and I just flat like the sport a lot better. The AWD system in this is frickin incredible. This will climb damn near anything. It could definitely use more clearance, though. 9" isn't really quite enough. I keep toying with the idea of a small lift, and yeah, it would be better offroad if I did, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Can't wait to get mine riding higher up then the escape titanium it's great small SUV with intelligent four-wheel drive but getting the Ford bronco will be even nicer when not be able to just lock it into 4x4 and not have to worry about stepping on the gas a little harder to keep my four-wheel drive going where I live on a very long crappy Old logging trail to get to my house from the highway nine inches of clearance is a lot more than I have on the escape I would like to get more when I get it but it'll be like night and day coming down this Old trail with the two big water mud holes it's such a rough trail FedEx won't even come in they'll leave my stuff by the highway and run wish I would get a email from Ford telling me it's being made

tennisbp

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Recalls:

Gas Milage:

Interior:

Dog Review:

Roadtripping:

Onroad Handling:

Offroad Capability:

Thanks for this review. I am excited for my May delivery! I also got some furry friends that will be enjoying the BS with me.

I wanted to ask about the effect on MPG with just the lock n load platform attached. I live in an apartment right and won't have much space to store it, so it will most likely live on the car. Just curious if you had much mileage data on that. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
jofer

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
I wanted to ask about the effect on MPG with just the lock n load platform attached. I live in an apartment right and won't have much space to store it, so it will most likely live on the car. Just curious if you had much mileage data on that.
The rack itself seems to take off about 2-3mpg at highway speeds and essentially nothing at low speed. It is quite noisy when you get above 75, though. I don't have a wind fairing of any sort at the moment, which would help significantly with noise and possibly with mileage.

Most of my mileage issues come from when I have large boxes (e.g. the Roam 95L) and other gear mounted on top of the rack. That takes another 3-5mpg off, especially at higher speeds.

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Please tell me this is a typo and you haven’t been running the same oil for 1 year..
No typo. Unlike many who think they know better, I follow the direction provided by Ford engineers, you know, the folks who actually designed the vehicle. Right now I have ~4K on the odometer (I live on a 16 mile long island). My car says I still have 23% oil life, but we get too many summer people here so I had to get an appointment in May so I wouldn’t have to wait until September.

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No typo. Unlike many who think they know better, I follow the direction provided by Ford engineers, you know, the folks who actually designed the vehicle. Right now I have ~4K on the odometer (I live on a 16 mile long island). My car says I still have 23% oil life, but we get too many summer people here so I had to get an appointment in May so I wouldn’t have to wait until September.
Lol okay wise guy… who would have guessed you drove 4k miles in a year?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I changed mine at 1600 miles and prob again at 3000 miles. Engine break in metal bits in oil and dirty manufacturer process I want to get all of that out. Once vehicle gets miles on it slacking off is fine.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I changed mine at 1600 miles and prob again at 3000 miles. Engine break in metal bits in oil and dirty manufacturer process I want to get all of that out. Once vehicle gets miles on it slacking off is fine.
There’s nothing wrong with doing it this way, but it’s not necessary on modern vehicles. What does your owners manual say about break-in maintenance?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Unlike many who think they know better, I follow the direction provided by Ford engineers, you know, the folks who actually designed the vehicle.
Exactly. The oil life monitor is pretty clever.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
There’s nothing wrong with doing it this way, but it’s not necessary on modern vehicles. What does your owners manual say about break-in maintenance?
Looks like max is 1 yr or 10,000 miles. Which makes me wonder now. Magic is within that now getting it done in a year even if under the mileage. So does the oil change indicator come on after a year even if mileage isn’t reached?

With the explorer I’ve gone off the indicator trusting it to know, though it seems to recommend oil changes far too infrequently. But then I’m of the age where oil changes were 3,000 mi & you adhered to that if you were at all a proponent of properly maintaining vehicles.

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review AAA69DD7-85C4-40D4-A32B-E024700D07A6

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review 54DEC0AD-BCFC-4414-9F9E-88CF603E2109

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Ah yes, break-in maintenance. That part I missed. I didn’t see anything specifically saying you needed to do this.

Now my dealer I’m sure recommends oil changes much more frequently than the oil life monitor does for perhaps obvious reasons. I’m a dealer maintenance guy though & will buy the service plan for the BS, so I’ll likely go with dealer recommendations more frequent than the oil life monitor as long as Ford is paying per service (the cost of the plan should remain constant).

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review B431BCED-BF78-4BCD-9E5F-1418281F8664

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review C17A445C-A4C0-45B8-952C-0A55004010AB
Sponsored