magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Looks like max is 1 yr or 10,000 miles. Which makes me wonder now. Magic is within that now getting it done in a year even if under the mileage. So does the oil change indicator come on after a year even if mileage isn’t reached?
Interesting point. The Ford App indicates the vehicle “learns” how it is being driven. I had my battery disconnected for 6 weeks while we were in Florida this winter. When I connected the battery It said 25% and now it is only 23%. Which would carry me to May as opposed to the original one year mark of April.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE

Houseof7th

Badlands
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I realized recently that we got our BS a year ago now! I figured it was time for a bit of a review. In short, we've had absolutely zero issues, and we still love it. It's our only car, so it needs to be able to do a fairly large mix of different things, and it fills that role better than anything else we've ever had.

Our broncito (name still waiting to stick):
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, Area 51 blue, upgraded co-pilot 360+, cargo management system, cargo area protection, no badlands package/moonroof/leather/etc.

Major trips/etc over the last year:
  • TX to camping+offroading in Land Between the Lakes + Turkey Bay (TN/KY) (I should probably write up a trip report, but haven't)
  • Cross-country drive from TX to TN to MI and back to visit family (with hound in the backseat)
  • 7 days in Big Bend (and despite it being in TX, it's still 1000 miles away)
  • Lots of trips down to lost hwy 87
  • Countless trips out to hike with a very smelly and cute hound dog
  • Daily grocery-getting and whatnot
Random aftermarket stuff:
  • Yakima Lock-n-Load platform
  • Rally Innovations front skid plate
  • Roam Adventure Co 95L box (often mounted to platform with a few simple bolts)
  • Ford bronco-branded floor mats
  • Redline tuning hood struts
  • Toyo Open Country AT3 235/65/r17
  • The little tray thingy that fits on the dash behind the center screen
Recalls:
I don't want to jinx myself, but according to all of the NHTSA websites and Ford, none of the recalls have affected my vehicle at all. I honestly expected more issues with a first year model. I guess I luckily got one of the early ones built in late 2020/early 2021 before the various shortages/etc kicked in? (Mine was a dealer mannequin before I bought it.)

Gas Milage:
Okay, the milage for the badlands isn't great. Ours has a rather large roof platform and less road-friendly tires. We average about 19-21 mpg both city and highway. A lot of our long distance driving winds up with the big box loaded on the roof platform, which really hurts highway milage at 70 and above, and is a big part of that average. Neighborhood driving (i.e. short distances with lots of 4-way stops) in the summer with the AC cranked can be as low as 15mpg. Highways at 55mph can be as high as 28mpg. Overall, it's actually about the same as what our old Subaru got, in practice.

It is really fun to drive, though! The 2.0L is peppy!

Interior:
I actually love the interior design. It's exceptionally well-planned and works very well for my needs. All the random pockets and small spaces for gear (and hiding things in the city) are fantastic. I don't make as much use of the MOLLE straps on the seat backs as I should, though. Overall, this is a vehicle that just packs great for camping. The cargo management system makes for a very handy little table, and while I don't often use it for groceries like I thought I would, I still really like it.

The amount of cargo space is nice. Not incredible (at least with a full size spare), but nice. With the back seats up, it's perfectly adequate for as compact as the car is. With the rear seats down, it's really a great amount of space. The cargo protector mats have held up well, and I can't imagine getting one without them, given how often I throw random landscaping/etc stuff in the back. It's nice not to have to worry about tearing up the backside of the rear seats when they're folded down and you're putting stuff on top of them. One thing I adore is how accessible the cargo area is from both the back and from the rear doors. It's very easy to reach things in the middle when the seats are down from back doors. That's really nice when loaded up with camping gear with a big cooler blocking off access from the rear hatch. On a side note, a yeti 110 and a 5gal military water can beside it fit quite nicely across the back, which has become my standard camping setup for the car.

Dog Review:
My dog is stubborn, smelly, loud, gassy, and goes through premium dog food way too fast. That said, she's utterly adorable and I won't be trading her in for the new model...
...Wait, right, review the car<->dog interaction, right, right...

Overall, the BS gets hound approval. Our pup can get in and out without too much trouble, and that really counts for something, as she's getting up there in age and having some hip trouble. The back seat is reasonably comfy for a big pup, and she seems to really like how high she is and how well she can see out the windows in the back.

However, the back door really doesn't open terribly wide. It took her a long time to get used to hopping in. There's not a ton of space for a dog to jump up to the rear floorboard between the back seat and inside edge of the door. She doesn't like jumping directly onto the rear seat (and it's pretty high, too), so it took awhile for her to adapt. It hasn't been a major problem, but I do definitely wish the back door opened out closer to 90 degrees.

Roadtripping:
The various adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and similar features really make this a fantastic car for very long road trips. The high tech bits really do dramatically reduce driver fatigue on long trips and adaptive cruise control makes bouts of heavy traffic on a long drive much less annoying. Initially I heard a lot of people complain about the seats being too shallow or somehow uncomfortable. I've had absolutely zero complaints about the seats on long trips. They're frankly great, and I'm a big guy (6'2", let's pretend I'm still 250lbs).

Onroad Handling:
When you first drive a sport, it feels kinda huge. The clearly visible hood and relatively high-up seating position is most of that, though. As soon as you get used to it, you realize just how agile this car is. It corners really very well (not a sports car, but a lot better than I expected), and the turning radius is way tighter than I expected. It's really very peppy and fun to drive to. I didn't expect it to be as much fun on windy mountain roads as it is, but it's really pretty fun to drive on them!

Offroad Capability:
So I actually do take this out on moderate trails. Look, I know it's not a "real" offroader, but show me something else that's as capable in a compact package that's still a daily driver. The Cherokee Trailhawk is still the only thing that really competes, and I just flat like the sport a lot better. The AWD system in this is frickin incredible. This will climb damn near anything. It could definitely use more clearance, though. 9" isn't really quite enough. I keep toying with the idea of a small lift, and yeah, it would be better offroad if I did, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Overall, a year in, and I've had zero issues and still love the vehicle even more than when I first got it.

Edit: I can't leave out a few photos...
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220403_154656520
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220401_211722416

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20211229_124649795(1)
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20211104_211204782

And of course, the previously-mentioned hound on one of her favorite hikes :)
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220114_175831003
A year in and 25000 miles so far. Enjoyed every bit of it.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Interesting point. The Ford App indicates the vehicle “learns” how it is being driven. I had my battery disconnected for 6 weeks while we were in Florida this winter. When I connected the battery It said 25% and now it is only 23%. Which would carry me to May as opposed to the original one year mark of April.
Yes, it sounds like it extended you another month based on not being driven? & I’m thinking with 4,000 miles if it was strictly condition based, you’d still have say 50% or so oil life left rather than 23%.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
How many threads are going to get stolen with this inane oil change discussion?

Back to topic: thanks for the well written review. I like that you went into to detail to give actual reasons rather than just “feelings”. And I agree with you about the doors and the need to open wider. Many Sport owners are dog owners and it would help.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
16 months and 18,500 miles,
All is well with my Base model.
My long term Mpg average over many thousands of miles per the computer is 26.8
Trip meter #2 gets logged and reset at my 5,000 mile oil change intervals.
But in my note book, remember those ? I keep a log and the math says my long term average is 25.6 mpg.
At my 20k service I’m getting a fresh air AND cabin filter.
I’ll install these myself and save $50 in labor on the cabin filter I bet, I’ll ask.
I still want a Maverick AWD

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
How many threads are going to get stolen with this inane oil change discussion?
Many more will be stolen cause we have the I like to change at 7000 miles and the I like to change at 2000 miles and owners manual says this and ford engineers said that. I have my dealer change my oil and someone else I like to change my own oil. My dealer service writer said no need to change oil early then someone else says metal bits dirty break in oil change early. Sales guy at dealer told me to read owners manual and general manager at dealer says talk to service dept. When all is said and done no ones opinions are changed ppl just ignore everyone else's opinions so its completely useless to even discuss in this forum. So yes useless discussion everyone just go off and do what they want its their vehicle what ever.....

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Many more will be stolen cause we have the I like to change at 7000 miles and the I like to change at 2000 miles and owners manual says this and ford engineers said that. I have my dealer change my oil and someone else I like to change my own oil. My dealer service writer said no need to change oil early then someone else says metal bits dirty break in oil change early. Sales guy at dealer told me to read owners manual and general manager at dealer says talk to service dept. When all is said and done no ones opinions are changed ppl just ignore everyone else's opinions so its completely useless to even discuss in this forum. So yes useless discussion everyone just go off and do what they want its their vehicle what ever.....
If you read this in the voice of Leo Getz it's a lot funnier!

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I realized recently that we got our BS a year ago now! I figured it was time for a bit of a review. In short, we've had absolutely zero issues, and we still love it. It's our only car, so it needs to be able to do a fairly large mix of different things, and it fills that role better than anything else we've ever had.

Our broncito (name still waiting to stick):
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, Area 51 blue, upgraded co-pilot 360+, cargo management system, cargo area protection, no badlands package/moonroof/leather/etc.

Major trips/etc over the last year:
  • TX to camping+offroading in Land Between the Lakes + Turkey Bay (TN/KY) (I should probably write up a trip report, but haven't)
  • Cross-country drive from TX to TN to MI and back to visit family (with hound in the backseat)
  • 7 days in Big Bend (and despite it being in TX, it's still 1000 miles away)
  • Lots of trips down to lost hwy 87
  • Countless trips out to hike with a very smelly and cute hound dog
  • Daily grocery-getting and whatnot
Random aftermarket stuff:
  • Yakima Lock-n-Load platform
  • Rally Innovations front skid plate
  • Roam Adventure Co 95L box (often mounted to platform with a few simple bolts)
  • Ford bronco-branded floor mats
  • Redline tuning hood struts
  • Toyo Open Country AT3 235/65/r17
  • The little tray thingy that fits on the dash behind the center screen
Recalls:
I don't want to jinx myself, but according to all of the NHTSA websites and Ford, none of the recalls have affected my vehicle at all. I honestly expected more issues with a first year model. I guess I luckily got one of the early ones built in late 2020/early 2021 before the various shortages/etc kicked in? (Mine was a dealer mannequin before I bought it.)

Gas Milage:
Okay, the milage for the badlands isn't great. Ours has a rather large roof platform and less road-friendly tires. We average about 19-21 mpg both city and highway. A lot of our long distance driving winds up with the big box loaded on the roof platform, which really hurts highway milage at 70 and above, and is a big part of that average. Neighborhood driving (i.e. short distances with lots of 4-way stops) in the summer with the AC cranked can be as low as 15mpg. Highways at 55mph can be as high as 28mpg. Overall, it's actually about the same as what our old Subaru got, in practice.

It is really fun to drive, though! The 2.0L is peppy!

Interior:
I actually love the interior design. It's exceptionally well-planned and works very well for my needs. All the random pockets and small spaces for gear (and hiding things in the city) are fantastic. I don't make as much use of the MOLLE straps on the seat backs as I should, though. Overall, this is a vehicle that just packs great for camping. The cargo management system makes for a very handy little table, and while I don't often use it for groceries like I thought I would, I still really like it.

The amount of cargo space is nice. Not incredible (at least with a full size spare), but nice. With the back seats up, it's perfectly adequate for as compact as the car is. With the rear seats down, it's really a great amount of space. The cargo protector mats have held up well, and I can't imagine getting one without them, given how often I throw random landscaping/etc stuff in the back. It's nice not to have to worry about tearing up the backside of the rear seats when they're folded down and you're putting stuff on top of them. One thing I adore is how accessible the cargo area is from both the back and from the rear doors. It's very easy to reach things in the middle when the seats are down from back doors. That's really nice when loaded up with camping gear with a big cooler blocking off access from the rear hatch. On a side note, a yeti 110 and a 5gal military water can beside it fit quite nicely across the back, which has become my standard camping setup for the car.

Dog Review:
My dog is stubborn, smelly, loud, gassy, and goes through premium dog food way too fast. That said, she's utterly adorable and I won't be trading her in for the new model...
...Wait, right, review the car<->dog interaction, right, right...

Overall, the BS gets hound approval. Our pup can get in and out without too much trouble, and that really counts for something, as she's getting up there in age and having some hip trouble. The back seat is reasonably comfy for a big pup, and she seems to really like how high she is and how well she can see out the windows in the back.

However, the back door really doesn't open terribly wide. It took her a long time to get used to hopping in. There's not a ton of space for a dog to jump up to the rear floorboard between the back seat and inside edge of the door. She doesn't like jumping directly onto the rear seat (and it's pretty high, too), so it took awhile for her to adapt. It hasn't been a major problem, but I do definitely wish the back door opened out closer to 90 degrees.

Roadtripping:
The various adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and similar features really make this a fantastic car for very long road trips. The high tech bits really do dramatically reduce driver fatigue on long trips and adaptive cruise control makes bouts of heavy traffic on a long drive much less annoying. Initially I heard a lot of people complain about the seats being too shallow or somehow uncomfortable. I've had absolutely zero complaints about the seats on long trips. They're frankly great, and I'm a big guy (6'2", let's pretend I'm still 250lbs).

Onroad Handling:
When you first drive a sport, it feels kinda huge. The clearly visible hood and relatively high-up seating position is most of that, though. As soon as you get used to it, you realize just how agile this car is. It corners really very well (not a sports car, but a lot better than I expected), and the turning radius is way tighter than I expected. It's really very peppy and fun to drive to. I didn't expect it to be as much fun on windy mountain roads as it is, but it's really pretty fun to drive on them!

Offroad Capability:
So I actually do take this out on moderate trails. Look, I know it's not a "real" offroader, but show me something else that's as capable in a compact package that's still a daily driver. The Cherokee Trailhawk is still the only thing that really competes, and I just flat like the sport a lot better. The AWD system in this is frickin incredible. This will climb damn near anything. It could definitely use more clearance, though. 9" isn't really quite enough. I keep toying with the idea of a small lift, and yeah, it would be better offroad if I did, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Overall, a year in, and I've had zero issues and still love the vehicle even more than when I first got it.

Edit: I can't leave out a few photos...
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220403_154656520
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220401_211722416

Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20211229_124649795(1)
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20211104_211204782

And of course, the previously-mentioned hound on one of her favorite hikes :)
Ford Bronco Sport One year, 13k mile review PXL_20220114_175831003
Great write up as always. I agree the limiting factor with the car isn’t the AWD system because that’s great, it’s the clearance.

If it had just a bit more it’d almost be unstoppable.

Last edited:

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
great write-up. and good to see the bronco sport has been treating you well!
awesome pics 👍🏻.

we just passed 19500km or 12100ish miles.
not a single issue other than the brake recall.

Funkygus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I know the answer! We should create a greatest hits thread. Aside from when to change oil we can discuss other important topics like the pros and cons of letting your engine warm up for 20 minutes each day.

FauxPaw

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
How do you like the Rally Innovations skid plate? Has it taken any hits?

OP
OP
jofer

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
How do you like the Rally Innovations skid plate? Has it taken any hits?
So far so good!

It has actually taken a couple of hits. One on river gravel/rock and one coming out of a steeper-than-I-expected mudhole. Nothing that would have done significant damage, but both would have at least scraped up the plastic underside of the bumper pretty thoroughly and might have broken it.

I'm sure it wouldn't hold up as a full skid plate, but it's perfect for what I want it for, which is preventing a root or stick from going behind the bumper and into the radiator/etc. It's not going to support the weight of the car, but it's a big improvement over plastic in the front, and the badlands has a gap in protection there.

It does trap mud, gravel, grass, and whatnot, though. Easy to clean out, but it's mildly annoying sometimes.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
My wife will be glad to know it is dog approved. For our dogs I'll probably use the portable steps for them to get in the back and fold down the passenger side seat so they can get to the back seat by the route of least resistance and biggest doors.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Had my Big Bend for a year in mid April, 34,000 miles so far and no problems. Several oil changes so far.

Reactions: Jrl

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Escape
14 months,38,000 miles on my Big Bend. My only issue is the factory tires, the Continentals. I am actually getting rid of them today. Never seen a tire that punctures so easily. I have posted on other threads about surface rust on the brake calipers, that seems to only occur in wet conditions and easily wears off. I have taken on trips all over the Midwest, from the U.P. of Michigan to the southern end of Indiana. I have the 1.5 3 cyl turbo, so I have been changing the oil every 4-5,000 miles. No oil loss problems, or any other fluid loss problems. Good vehicle over all, right now showing MPG at 29.2.
Sponsored