Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Right, but isn’t this all based on what you have set for preferences? If you have fastest time enabled, and you have traffic data, it will take traffic into account.
As far as detours are concerned, I think the biggest problem with any NAV program is that they don’t necessarily know how much of the road is closed. Traffic data might help here, but I’m not sure.
Yes. It is all about those preference, but as I said, the system works in absolutes and you can't set a threshold or choose "most logical route" or "prefer highway pathing". So whether those odd backroad routes save 1 min or 1 mile, the Ford nav will just choose them. I haven't found my older Garmin doing that kind of routing. The logic is just... more logical. It's like the difference between a chess computer that plays 2 moves ahead and one that plays 5 moves ahead.

Traffic data might affect it when the route is plotted, but the system doesn't appear to dynamically change routes based on the Sirius traffic/weather alerts. The Garmin system uses constant traffic updates. If a crash happened 5 miles ahead and stopped traffic, I would probably hear about it prior to getting in the backup. Also, Ford messed up my Sirius Travellink services with the last update and it still isn't working right, so there's that.
Sponsored

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
I do not have nav onboard as I went badlands without packages and extras. I prefer Waze....seems far more intuitive, and the cop feature is nice☺
It would be cool if pre-collision assist has an extra feature that slows the car when it detects a highway trooper or any patrol when you're ""accidentally"" heavy on the accelerator
Screen would flash: "Slowing down, traffic ticket detected"

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Traffic data might affect it when the route is plotted, but the system doesn't appear to dynamically change routes based on the Sirius traffic/weather alerts. The Garmin system uses constant traffic updates. If a crash happened 5 miles ahead and stopped traffic, I would probably hear about it prior to getting in the backup.
Sync absolutely will dynamically change the route if traffic is involved. The vast majority of my 5,000 miles are on the highway and when traffic is bad I get reroutes long before I hit the traffic. I don’t know how often it updates, but as I’ve said before it works beautifully and has saved me many times.
Traffic is also displayed on nearby roads whether or not a route has been entered, which I like.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It would be cool if pre-collision assist has an extra feature that slows the car when it detects a highway trooper or any patrol when you're ""accidentally"" heavy on the accelerator
Screen would flash: "Slowing down, traffic ticket detected"
You know...that's not crazy....not kidding you may want to suggest that to Ford. Everything is electronic...what's it matter if the signal slows for an accident or a cop??

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Sync absolutely will dynamically change the route if traffic is involved. The vast majority of my 5,000 miles are on the highway and when traffic is bad I get reroutes long before I hit the traffic. I don’t know how often it updates, but as I’ve said before it works beautifully and has saved me many times.
Traffic is also displayed on nearby roads whether or not a route has been entered, which I like.
Good to hear. I had Uconnect, and it seems like it took me the most indirect and extensive route possible. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. Waze seems to learn my preferences (we have five access points to US23) and knows the route I prefer. Works for you it works. I'm not bashing sync by any means.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
A 5 year free trial was included with my OB. I believe it was included with all NAV packages. I absolutely love it. Very accurate.
Thank you. I had no idea I got free traffic with my OB. I hated dealing with Sirius sales people when my husband had Sirius on his Jeep, so I tossed the Sirius info for my OB. Just got my account. They got my junk email account and landline.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thank you. I had no idea I got free traffic with my OB. I hated dealing with Sirius sales people when my husband had Sirius on his Jeep, so I tossed the Sirius info for my OB. Just got my account. They got my junk email account and landline.
Enjoy it...I believe it's a short subscription and they are very difficult to deal with when you want to get rid of it. Stand firm and cancel. Within a week they will offer $5 rates. As some have said they are making money off every account wether it's $5 or $50. They want you to subscribe

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enjoy it...I believe it's a short subscription and they are very difficult to deal with when you want to get rid of it. Stand firm and cancel. Within a week they will offer $5 rates. As some have said they are making money off every account wether it's $5 or $50. They want you to subscribe
Yup. Played the game with the Jeep subscription. I hated it. I didn't even bother signing up for the free 3 months. The free 5 years for the navigation I'll do.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone know if the map will be updated wireless or is it something we have to pay for? I like the Ford nav. Maybe it's my phone, I find that Android Auto and google map take a while to boot up on the screen.
The Ford Nav updates are automatic and free. However, the Nav updates take FOR-EV-VER!!
Connected to WiFi my update to Nav 2-20 took NINE FRIGGEN DAYS!! And, BTW, some functions shut off while the updates are in progress. Very, very frustrating. It's a lot easier to do the updates via thumb drive, but it still takes about an hour. The files are very large, like 11GB. But an hour is a lot better than 9 days.

Oh, yeah....after the very first of 13 files downloads, Sync says it's up to date, even though it still has lots and lots of files to load.

In my experience, it's better to turn off automatic update AND WiFi (you have to do both to prevent automatic updates) and just do the manual update.

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
The Ford Nav updates are automatic and free. However, the Nav updates take FOR-EV-VER!!
Connected to WiFi my update to Nav 2-20 took NINE FRIGGEN DAYS!! And, BTW, some functions shut off while the updates are in progress. Very, very frustrating. It's a lot easier to do the updates via thumb drive, but it still takes about an hour. The files are very large, like 11GB. But an hour is a lot better than 9 days.

Oh, yeah....after the very first of 13 files downloads, Sync says it's up to date, even though it still has lots and lots of files to load.

In my experience, it's better to turn off automatic update AND WiFi (you have to do both to prevent automatic updates) and just do the manual update.
Yep, I learned the hard way as well,

Download the nav's and sync updates to usb drive, a lot less :cwl:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Yup. Played the game with the Jeep subscription. I hated it. I didn't even bother signing up for the free 3 months. The free 5 years for the navigation I'll do.
It’s an all-in-one subscription. So you’ll end up with 3 free months of radio, and 60 free months of traffic, not one or the other. You have to accept both. It’s easy enough to let the radio trial lapse and not renew it, if that’s what you want. However, I believe that a traffic subscription REQUIRES a radio subscription and can not be used as a stand alone product. I could be wrong, but I think if you let the radio trial end without renewing you‘ll lose traffic.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s an all-in-one subscription. So you’ll end up with 3 free months of radio, and 60 free months of traffic, not one or the other. You have to accept both. It’s easy enough to let the radio trial lapse and not renew it, if that’s what you want. However, I believe that a traffic subscription REQUIRES a radio subscription and can not be used as a stand alone product. I could be wrong, but I think if you let the radio trial end without renewing you‘ll lose traffic.
Update: The only active sirius accounts are traffic plus and travel link. Both listed complementary. Good till 01/27/2026.

Thanks. Sirius currently won't let me into my account. I guess they want to talk to me. ? I'm pretty sure the traffic was the only open account. When I checked yesterday, the traffic was working, but the radio kept telling me how wonderful xm is and how I should sign up. They don't have my credit card info. I'll update if I ever get into my account.

Last edited:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I‘ve had no problems in the past with my other XM subscriptions, but I do know that it sometimes can be a hassle.

Update: The only active sirius accounts are traffic plus and travel link. Both listed complementary. Good till 01/27/2026.

Thanks. Sirius currently won't let me into my account. I guess they want to talk to me. ? I'm pretty sure the traffic was the only open account. When I checked yesterday, the traffic was working, but the radio kept telling me how wonderful xm is and how I should sign up. They don't have my credit card info. I'll update if I ever get into my account.
No credit card is needed for the radio trial. You just need to activate it.

Last edited:

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I‘ve had no problems in the part with my other XM subscriptions, but I do know that it sometimes can be a hassle.

No credit card is needed for the radio trial. You just need to activate it.
Sirius told me I missed that boat. They have already started with the weekly letters. Had to sign up for my 3 month trial when I picked up my BS. She's now 6 months old.

Fritz Bay

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford Nav is not nearly as good as Google Maps for finding forest roads and trailheads.
Sponsored