thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
Tomarrow marks my first week with by outerbanks. Since I have to plug in to the front USB for android auto, I find my self not always using it. I find with my note 10,that usb c from the console usually offers fast charge mode vs standard charge from the media bin.

In these situations I'm using the onboard navigation with "pinch zoom".Does anyone else find it not as intuitive as Waze? Or at least, harder to use?
Sponsored

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Tomarrow marks my first week with by outerbanks. Since I have to plug in to the front USB for android auto, I find my self not always using it. I find with my note 10,that usb c from the console usually offers fast charge mode vs standard charge from the media bin.

In these situations I'm using the onboard navigation with "pinch zoom".Does anyone else find it not as intuitive as Waze? Or at least, harder to use?
I love it. It could be a little more responsive, but the navigation itself works very well (directions, rerouting, etc). I find the traffic info to be spot on. If it shows red, you can bet that traffic is stopped. That has been VERY handy.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
No, I like the Ford nav. In fact with that and satellite, and HD radio I find little reason to plug in my phone, and just plop it on the charging pad instead. It connects via Bluetooth for calls and messages, and that's just fine.

BroncoSportVA

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone know if the map will be updated wireless or is it something we have to pay for? I like the Ford nav. Maybe it's my phone, I find that Android Auto and google map take a while to boot up on the screen.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I love it. It could be a little more responsive, but the navigation itself works very well (directions, rerouting, etc). I find the traffic info to be spot on. If it shows red, you can bet that traffic is stopped. That has been VERY handy.
I haven't tried it yet. Do we have to pay extra for traffic?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I haven't tried it yet. Do we have to pay extra for traffic?
A 5 year free trial was included with my OB. I believe it was included with all NAV packages. I absolutely love it. Very accurate.

OP
OP

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
* trial length and service reliabikity may vary by model, year or trim

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
* trial length and service reliabikity may vary by model, year or trim
that's all true, but we are talking about the new Bronco Sport, are you?

OP
OP

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am. I saw that in the link provided above. I'll follow up in 4 months if I still have Sirius xm. I have Co pilot 360 plus

Last edited:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm a 10+ year long user of Garmin, so I am biased.

But the Ford nav is bad compared to Garmin. The map options aren't as good. The navigation isn't as intuitive. It works, but if you really, truly don't know where you're going, and have some idea of the roads you need to be on, it will have you take an exit and follow three surface streets to get on another highway instead of going two more exits and using the exit ramp for the road you wanted. This is a result of being forced to set a specific route goal of Eco, Miles, Time. It doesn't use more logic than that, so if a curvy, windy road will save 1 min, it will divert off a main road for that back road.

It's also very, very stubborn about detours. If a road is closed (this happened to me), it will insist you take every possible turn to get back on the routes, even turn on any dead end and u-turn. I had to take a 50 mile detour and I basically had to turn off the Nav because it only insisted I go back to the closed road. The detours were all variants of using a few streets that... you guessed it, lead back to a closed road.

The Garmin lets you block off a section and say "never drive there". The POI just feel better categorized and it's less steps to set a destination. Though if you're willing to do the extra fiddling, the Ford is pretty good at setting multiple destinations, or having the Nav calculate how to make all the stops.

Waze is decent, but the linking to the Bronco Sync3 display is subpar. If it had a native Waze app and you could put the phone aside, that would be OK. But they couldn't sell Nav upgrades if you could just put a free app on it.

As a specific example. If I am going from X to O, the Ford nav will try to get me to follow orange, then pink (and every other road too) instead of just going green on the highway. I don't want to look at cows. I don't want to get stuck behind a tractor on the back road. I don't want to take all the turns and stop signs just to save a half mile. Especially the dangerous left across the highway where pink meets green. The Nav disagrees.
Ford Bronco Sport onboard nav kinda sucks, right? Capture.JPG

Last edited:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I am. I saw that in the link provided above. I'll follow up in 4 months if I still have Sirius xm. I have Co pilot 360 plus
My XM radio trial subscription was only 3 months, but I was offered the chance to add another year for $60.
The XM traffic trial subscription is 5 years. I also have CoPilot 360+.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
As a specific example. If I am going from X to O, the Ford nav will try to get me to follow orange, then pink (and every other road too) instead of just going green on the highway. I don't want to look at cows. I don't want to get stuck behind a tractor on the back road. I don't want to take all the turns and stop signs just to save a half mile. Especially the dangerous left across the highway where pink meets green. The Nav disagrees.
Ford Bronco Sport onboard nav kinda sucks, right? Capture.JPG
Right, but isnā€™t this all based on what you have set for preferences? If you have fastest time enabled, and you have traffic data, it will take traffic into account.
As far as detours are concerned, I think the biggest problem with any NAV program is that they donā€™t necessarily know how much of the road is closed. Traffic data might help here, but Iā€™m not sure.
Sponsored