onboard nav kinda sucks, right?

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Doesn't "SUCK" at all. Sorry you don't like it. There are other options for you.
I'm with you, Martin. I've played with it and it works just fine for me, about the same as the iPhone built in map but without the alerts Waze gives you, which are nice but not really necessary for me.

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Not as simple as that since it's part of the 360+ package that has features I want.

I don't know the answers to these - With phone nav what happens when you are out of cell range and want to start a nav? Does the phone have all the necessary maps stored on board?

Seems like when you're overlanding there will be times there isn't cell service.
Google Maps you can choose an area and download all of the maps of that area locally on your phone. Apple Maps as long as you start the trip when you have service it will download all of the maps for the directions it is currently taking.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Google Maps you can choose an area and download all of the maps of that area locally on your phone. Apple Maps as long as you start the trip when you have service it will download all of the maps for the directions it is currently taking.
With Ford nav you don't have to

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 OB+OB, 360+, Tow Pkg. (2021)
Yup. Played the game with the Jeep subscription. I hated it. I didn't even bother signing up for the free 3 months. The free 5 years for the navigation I'll do.
I think the dealership started my trial for me. Sirius is working and I got an email welcoming me. I have not interacted with them, so I hope Sirius goes away quietly in 3 months…

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably didn't give the Ford nav a fair trial, but wasn't impressed. I just connect to Google Maps via my iPhone. Don't think you can beat Google.
I prefer Waze. Just sayin…..

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why? "Just sayin..." is just noise.
If I’m doing any real traveling, I have a Garmin. I seem To get better traffic updates with Waze. Google would be my second choice. Third, Apple Maps. I would rather look at a paper map drawn by an angry 3 legged dog, sitting on a bed of nails, with several paper-cuts on its paws, and broken crayon bits, than use the worthless failure attempt
of the Uconnect navigation device that I had in my Fiat! I could literally sit in a gas station lot, and use the “find the nearest gas station” option, and it would not find the place I was at, but something 30 miles away!

I know every app and website tracks your data, but lately google seems to be getting more intrusive, like Facebook. IMHO Facebook is the devil! But that’s another story for another time…

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Ford navigation tried to kill me yesterday. Google and android auto both avoided a horrible intersection. Ford had me close my eyes, pray and hit the gas. 😳 There were two better options that didn't take me out of my way.

OP
OP

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I regret every time I try to use the on board nav.
From finding a location with the OSK to the voice "recognition." it's poor and not expected to improve. While Android auto does leave a lot to be desired, it does do a better job.

I do find I am able to use Android auto more after installing a Motorola MA1 Wireless adapter.
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/anyone-using-an-android-auto-wireless-adapter.6028/post-111585

It works as expected 9 out of 10 time I use it. My phone can stay In my hip pouch, or I can use the faster console charger if needed.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I regret every time I try to use the on board nav.
From finding a location with the OSK to the voice "recognition." it's poor and not expected to improve. While Android auto does leave a lot to be desired, it does do a better job.
I agree that Google Maps is easier to use than Ford's nav system, but I find that the more I use Ford's system the easier it gets. It's like anything else I suppose; practice makes perfect. Google's voice recognition system is far less restrictive on what you can say, but once you learn what SYNC 3 will and won't accept for voice commands it works pretty well.
Sponsored