onboard nav kinda sucks, right?

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Tomarrow marks my first week with by outerbanks. Since I have to plug in to the front USB for android auto, I find my self not always using it. I find with my note 10,that usb c from the console usually offers fast charge mode vs standard charge from the media bin.

In these situations I'm using the onboard navigation with "pinch zoom".Does anyone else find it not as intuitive as Waze? Or at least, harder to use?
Why would anyone these days pay for a Navigation system?
Sponsored

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Not as simple as that since it's part of the 360+ package that has features I want.

I don't know the answers to these - With phone nav what happens when you are out of cell range and want to start a nav? Does the phone have all the necessary maps stored on board?

Seems like when you're overlanding there will be times there isn't cell service.

Last edited:
OP
OP

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
Map version na119 that mine has is rather outdated. Albany NY added exit/entrance 3 to i87 just before covid and it really confused onboard nav. Ford's nav update site says "no new maps for my Vin"

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
SiriusXM Traffic/Travel Link reared it's head today while I was parked in the middle lane on the interstate this morning. Happened to glance at the Ford nav screen and noticed the next turn ahead had changed. Not going anywhere anyway I made the turn and got my family member to her hospital appointment on time. First experience with the nav recalculating while on route based on traffic.

Question to the experts -
Did the Ford nav alert me to the change and I just missed it?
How did Sirius know RT90 was a parking lot?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
SiriusXM Traffic/Travel Link reared it's head today while I was parked in the middle lane on the interstate this morning. Happened to glance at the Ford nav screen and noticed the next turn ahead had changed. Not going anywhere anyway I made the turn and got my family member to her hospital appointment on time. First experience with the nav recalculating while on route based on traffic.

Question to the experts -
Did the Ford nav alert me to the change and I just missed it?
How did Sirius know RT90 was a parking lot?
There’s no alert, it just changes. If you have voice guidance active it will announce the new turn.
It uses a traffic monitoring network. As I’ve said before I don’t know how often it updates, but it is accurate and handy.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
You think using a cell phone mounted to your windshield, eating through data while driving in and out of low signal coverage is better?
Personally, I got tired of doing that years ago.
Built in NAV is so much classier ?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Does the phone have all the necessary maps stored on board?
It might, if it’s a route you’ve done before. Otherwise, no. It pulls that data when it needs it.
You could test this by asking for directions and then turning off cell service.

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You think using a cell phone mounted to your windshield, eating through data while driving in and out of low signal coverage is better?
Google Maps is displayed on screen. Cell phone in pocket.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I probably didn't give the Ford nav a fair trial, but wasn't impressed. I just connect to Google Maps via my iPhone. Don't think you can beat Google.

ODucksfan17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB
You can always use the navigation app Sygic with AA or CarPlay. Those are offline maps.
Sponsored