Kperry62

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
This is my first car with oil indicator tech. I currently have 3,500 miles on my Outer Banks. On the Ford App it’s says I’m at 55% oil life and has an estimate of November for an oil change.

Is this correct? Reliable?
Sponsored

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This is my first car with oil indicator tech. I currently have 3,500 miles on my Outer Banks. On the Ford App it’s says I’m at 55% oil life and has an estimate of November for an oil change.

Is this correct? Reliable?
it's just a guideline. I'm planning to change oil @ 2000 or so. After that I will reset oil life and go by 10k meter, unless when i check oil it looks or smells odd.
I was actually going to just change the filter @1000 but....it's not F150, got to do it all.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just changed my oil on FE @ 1300 miles.
So you need T30, 13 & 15mm socket and 76mm oil filter socket.
I had a bigger OEM filter.
There were 2 surprises.. first a key/pin looking thing fell out (anyone knows what that pin/key for?) and second I got a present from Mexico. Last picture.

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG20210611211039

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG20210611214808

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG20210611200030

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG20210611201812

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG20210611200015

Last edited:

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I am curious about the the "don't place in garage" icon. I wonder where it should be recycled.

Last edited:

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
something i forgot to mention, when i was changing oil it seemed way too hot after 2-3 hours or its sitting in the driveway. anyone noticed similar situation?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
something i forgot to mention, when i was changing oil it seemed way too hot after 2-3 hours or its sitting in the driveway. anyone noticed similar situation?
I think the engine is shorter than even a V-6 crank wise end to end.
Less mass and surface to radiate heat away when cooling.
The oil pan is deeper than other engines. The oil is not as spread out, it's going to hold more heat longer.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just finished the first change on my 2.0L at 3,267 mi. I can verify it's 4 x T30 screws attaching the bumper cover up through the bash plate from underneath (remove these first); and 6 x 13mm bolts attaching the bash plate (watch out, it's heavy and just drops right out). 15mm drain plug. The OEM filter and my FL-910-S were the same size. Using 5W30 MC Synthetic Blend as recommended. Curiously the cleanest oil change ever, it all just comes right down without getting on anything. It was easy to fill and screw on the new filter too. While 5.5qt did indeed come out, It was just about full at 5qt 8oz having filled the filter first, so I left it. There is definitely a little bit of fuel blowing/washing by into the crankcase in these engines. Oil was dirty enough already. Haven't seen any,, but haven't inspected the bottom of the drain pan yet for any shiny bits. Slide the bash plate forward in its mounting holes to mesh best with the bumper cover attachment/screws. Reset meter. Take in used oil.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I am curious about the the "don't place in garage" icon. I wonder where it should be recycled.
I’m guessing you meant “don’t place in garbage“. That’s because used oil is considered hazardous waste, and a used filter has used oil in it. Your local landfill should have a place where you can drop off used filters.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Going for it today. Hard to beat Costco Kirkland synthetic 10qts for $26. Fomoco filter...y'all made it sound pretty easy. With lower riding sedans I haven't changed oil for a while just too much of a pain. If it is simple I may stick with it. Otherwise I think osco is on to something at Ford for $40

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Went really smooth. The metal plate is heavy-ish but balanced. Thanks for the torx and mm wrench details. My filter was pretty snug so I used a filter wrench to take it off... probably still a bit warm when I took it off so it was likely swole a little. No issues just easier getting my hands on it after a few turns.
Out the door for $21 oil and filter. Hard to beat. And I can dispose of oil at the local bus garage they have a oil furnace for winter and use up old oil. Bonus.
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change PXL_20210630_171001242
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change PXL_20210630_171005880

The insulating panel on the bash plate was interesting. Likewise the location of filter and oil plug couldn't be much better. So simple.
* and to my mild disappointment, no random keys or lizard bait...just a normal oil change with maybe a bug carcass from highway travel that's about all the surprises I got

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigB'sBrono21

BigB'sBrono21

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Going for it today. Hard to beat Costco Kirkland synthetic 10qts for $26. Fomoco filter...y'all made it sound pretty easy. With lower riding sedans I haven't changed oil for a while just too much of a pain. If it is simple I may stick with it. Otherwise I think osco is on to something at Ford for $40
other than taking the time to remove all the screws around the plastic/metal panels, it is really straightforward. Good luck,

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
other than taking the time to remove all the screws around the plastic/metal panels, it is really straightforward. Good luck,
And really...that wasn't too bad. Used a impact driver and that sped it up a lot. Probably the cleanest oil change I've done. For 2500 miles it was reasonably grimy.
Sponsored