thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I’m guessing you meant “don’t place in garbage“. That’s because used oil is considered hazardous waste, and a used filter has used oil in it. Your local landfill should have a place where you can drop off used filters.
I did mean garbage. I'm still terrible at spelling.
I have not found a place in Albany that takes used oil filters for recycling. All the parts stores I visited say "we're only mandated to take the oil"

We have to transfer it now. They won't let you leave a gallon jug of it anymore.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
13MikeH -- where did you put the jack stands?
I have a 3.5T jack, used the jack mounts on each side to lift. From there I saw similar weld points angled toward the engine and placed one under each of those and left the jack extended on the passenger side. No problems and felt very stable. I even accessed and closed the driver door and it held solid. I'll post pics of options in a bit. Working on a project as I type.
Basically I just followed the pinch welds with the red arrows. Also a lot of solid bracing and jack points. You could also use control arms according to the manual.
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change PXL_20210701_182346872~2
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change PXL_20210701_182040576~2
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change PXL_20210701_182138529
mo

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I bought some 5 gallon buckets with lids from Home Depot to dump used oil in. Then I don't have to make trips to used oil disposal in town as often.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I did mean garbage. I'm still terrible at spelling.
I have not found a place in Albany that takes used oil filters for recycling. All the parts stores I visited say "we're only mandated to take the oil"

We have to transfer it now. They won't let you leave a gallon jug of it anymore.
Well that stinks. I‘m all for recycling properly when I can, but in your case I’d probably just dump the filter in the trash.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I'll call local a Walmart and ask.

Twice called and no answer. I'll have to ask in person.
It's been a while since I had to check.
I called one advance auto parts location and they don't take them, however another location (father away) will .

Autozone and O'Reilly are the same way. Call first and make sure.

Two Napa stores assured me they don't and won't take used oil let alone used filters.
They both said they have no way of know if it is contaminated or not.

Last edited:

Goombah

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 & 2021 Bronco Sport BB
Finally broke 1K. Thank you for great info on tools. Went like a charm. I used Penzoil Platinum 5W-20W. Also only Wix HP filters. Odd when I dumped what. I drained out it was slightly less than 5 quarts. Should be 6.3 quarts. I guess there was some metal absorption. And yes I’m an old school mechanic. I believe in changing at 1K.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Finally broke 1K. Thank you for great info on tools. Went like a charm. I used Penzoil Platinum 5W-20W. Also only Wix HP filters. Odd when I dumped what. I drained out it was slightly less than 5 quarts. Should be 6.3 quarts. I guess there was some metal absorption. And yes I’m an old school mechanic. I believe in changing at 1K.
6.3? Did you mean 5.3? Specs say 5.3(1.5L);5.5(2.0L) filter included. Mine was a bit less than 5.1 when I drained, filter and all. I'd say 1K that first change isn't a terrible choice.

Goombah

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 & 2021 Bronco Sport BB
6.3? Did you mean 5.3? Specs say 5.3(1.5L);5.5(2.0L) filter included. Mine was a bit less than 5.1 when I drained, filter and all. I'd say 1K that first change isn't a terrible choice.
I meant 5.3, our Ranger we had was 6.3.. Temporary brain fart.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
So I am at 8000 KM of normal driving and my oil quality is 50%. The dealer said it can up to a year and that there is no need to change the oil too soon. Is this true?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So I am at 8000 KM of normal driving and my oil quality is 50%. The dealer said it can up to a year and that there is no need to change the oil too soon. Is this true?
I would personally say, new motors, new oils, engineers spec it out. If your dealer will back up any claims or issues they are correct. The first 3000 I changed my oil, trying to eliminate any metal or break in crud, it was cheap and easy to do, worth the peace of mind to me. I knew a guy who had an OLD chevy. NEVER ONCE changed the oil...ever. If the light came on he dumped in a quart. Never changed it. Eventually parted with the car, gave it to a local for demolition derby. It had a white film inside the pan and the thing won the derby. It couldn't be stopped. Would I suggest that route? NOPE. But do we put a little more into the value of oil changes than necessary? Maybe.
Sponsored