new BS orders through Dealership- deposit or no deposit required?

K5 Blazer FL

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 K5 Blazer
I ordered mine last week, BL/BL, area51/silver roof, tow package, co-pilot 360.

After the sales person submitted the order and handed me the order print out I asked about a deposit and he said it wasn’t necessary.
Sponsored

Denefblah

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I was told about a deposit before placing my order. However, my dealer never requested a deposit when we put our order in.

mooredl1

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ford
I recently placed an order for a BS Cactus Gray BB w/ BB & Tow Package as well as roof crossbars, CMS, floor mats and splash guards. When I asked our salesman if they would need a deposit he said "not necessary". My wife is getting a BS also and she asked, "what if we change our mind?" He said, "no problem, we will just sell the vehicle."

I am seeing other members stating they paid as much as $1k deposit for ordering a new BS build.

What is everyone's experience with dealerships asking or not asking for deposits on build orders?
Hi folks,
I ordered a new BS Cactus Gray BL - w/ BL & Tow & 350 package on March 5, last week. $500 deposit. I've ordered several cars over the years, always had to put down something. I'm interested on when y'all start hearing about progress of the build. btw, I'm located in southwest Florida.

area51babe

First Name
Kimberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ordered my OB on Jan 29th, dealer said no deposit needed. (Denver metro area). He said that if I change my mind, they’d have no trouble selling it.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I did Build and Price for a Badlands then got local quotes from several dealers. Then I picked a dealer, they had me confirm options, and they ordered it. They didn't ask for any deposit.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Ordered OB/Ob in Jan. At first he said no deposit then when we were finalizing asked for $1000. Apparently (he said) if Ford auditors come around they would be in trouble with no deposit orders.
That actually makes sense. With limited supply still, dealers are probably trying to get their hands on as many as possible. They could place a no deposit order every time someone was interested, and try to get more delivered. Ford probably wants deposits to make sure the first models are being distributed to people who are more committed to buying.

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
$1000 deposit in Columbus, OH--said he couldn't place the order without it. Not an issue to me at all if they ask for one. Did say it is 100% refundable if I changed my mind because they would have no issue selling it. Ordered 2/11. No updates, not even an order confirmation.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
My lifelong experience reading about and seeing friends leaving a deposit with the dealer is that it is a bad idea. It's a leverage point that they can (and usually will) use against you. When "your" vehicle arrives they can "make a mistake" and sell it to somebody else or tell you the price has changed or try to get you into a different vehicle, etc... If you say no or don't do what they want they will keep your deposit or foot drag for as long as possible.

I'd only do this (maybe) at a dealer I have a long term relationship with. In my case, no deposit required. They can still the vehicle out from under me but at least there won't be a fight to get my deposit back.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
My lifelong experience reading about and seeing friends leaving a deposit with the dealer is that it is a bad idea. It's a leverage point that they can (and usually will) use against you. When "your" vehicle arrives they can "make a mistake" and sell it to somebody else or tell you the price has changed or try to get you into a different vehicle, etc... If you say no or don't do what they want they will keep your deposit or foot drag for as long as possible.

I'd only do this (maybe) at a dealer I have a long term relationship with. In my case, no deposit required. They can still the vehicle out from under me but at least there won't be a fight to get my deposit back.
Pay with the CC and reverse the charges in case of shenanigans like that. That's why I personally am not concerned about a reasonable deposit.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Pay with the CC and reverse the charges in case of shenanigans like that. That's why I personally am not concerned about a reasonable deposit.
I'll agree that's easier than leaving cash or a check. But the last time I cancelled a charge it was not entirely painless or instant.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Did a 1K deposit. Locked in the amount for my trade in no matter how long it takes to get here.

Phillipsmikes

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
$1000 deposit in Columbus, OH--said he couldn't place the order without it. Not an issue to me at all if they ask for one. Did say it is 100% refundable if I changed my mind because they would have no issue selling it. Ordered 2/11. No updates, not even an order confirmation.
Which dealer in Columbus?
Sponsored