More noise since having wheels installed.

cgui1971

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I have noticed more noise since having Fuel Black Zephyr wheels installed. All same specs as stock except the offset is 25 instead of 37.5 on the stock and the width is 8.5 inches instead of 7 inches like the stock rims. Would this cause more noise ? What is the minimum offset I could have without it causing noise, if this in fact what is causing the noise.
Ford Bronco Sport More noise since having wheels installed. IMG_0273
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Did you put different tires on at the same time?

OP
OP
cgui1971

cgui1971

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
No, got the same tires Toyo Open Country AT 3

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
You shouldn’t have more noise. What kind of noise are you getting? You may get a little more road noise. Turn lock to lock etc and see if anything is touching. Eyeball it and see

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
You shouldn’t have more noise. What kind of noise are you getting? You may get a little more road noise. Turn lock to lock etc and see if anything is touching. Eyeball it and see
I believe I read on this forum that the least amount of offset should not be below 30 if your stock is 38 .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
“width is 8.5 inches instead of 7 inches like the stock rims.”

Ok so your tires are wider correct?
More rubber on the road, more noise,
I bet your mpg’s will be different.
Noise is resistance.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have noticed more noise since having Fuel Black Zephyr wheels installed. All same specs as stock except the offset is 25 instead of 37.5 on the stock and the width is 8.5 inches instead of 7 inches like the stock rims. Would this cause more noise ? What is the minimum offset I could have without it causing noise, if this in fact what is causing the noise.
I think you will get more useful answers if you describe the noise you're hearing.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
“width is 8.5 inches instead of 7 inches like the stock rims.”

Ok so your ties are wider correct?
More rubber on the road, more noise,
I bet your mpg’s will be different.
Noise is resistance.
Osco wide ties went out back in the late 60 s just saying.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Osco wide ties went out back in the late 60 s just saying.
I was raised in Florida sugar sand and beach sand. Plus we had swamp mud. I have no experience at all with rock gardens.
It was common knowledge that in sand wide tires held the vehicle up better.
And in mud tall tires worked best as they dug in deep to grab.
Sand liked chevrons and mud liked chevrons and big blocky treads spaced far apart. Mud tires sucked on pavement, really really bad. Chevrons are the absolute worst on road.
Sand/on road tires were do~able on road but wore out quick.
I was not talking about styles of off road tires city buggies wore to look cool.
Up here in my Appalachian mountains guys with Cowboy Cadillacs still like wide big knob chunky tires. Lots of rocks and mud up here with doses of Georgia Red Clay.

Last edited:

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
In my experience, Osco has it right. We loaded a truck full of kids from Phoenix with rocks to give the wide smooth tires more traction in the mud. As long as there is a bottom tall skinny tires work great. They help keep you from bottoming out when you drop your wheels into the ruts. In sand, wide tires work great and letting some air out makes them wider. On rock, tall wide tires soften the ride. I wish my BL came with 16 in. wheels. In snow, BFG KO2's excelled on my Jeep Liberty. A bit more noise, and worse mileage, but worked well everywhee I took it. The only times I got stuck in 175,000 miles was pulling a trailer. Once the trailer was unhooked, the Jeep was golden.

ohiooutdoors

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport More noise since having wheels installed. IMG_0273
I mean it can be the design of the wheel, the tread pattern, the width, the weight etc.

My OB wheels used to hum at highway speeds since I bought it off the dealerhsip floor. Put my new wheels on and it has been signficantly quieter.

On my FRS I had wheels that used to almost whistle because of their design (3 piece ccw lm5t).

OP
OP
cgui1971

cgui1971

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
It's hard to describe but if I was to describe it, it would be very loud road noise. It is really bad when I turn at a slow speed, sometimes when I am just going straight at a slow speed or slowing to a stop. It lessens as I speed up.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
It's hard to describe but if I was to describe it, it would be very loud road noise. It is really bad when I turn at a slow speed, sometimes when I am just going straight at a slow speed or slowing to a stop. It lessens as I speed up.
Have you double checked that all the lug nuts are tight? I’m just worried by your description of it being so much worse at lower speeds.

OP
OP
cgui1971

cgui1971

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes they seem tight enough but I think I will bring it in tomorrow morning to get a balance and rotation done

TSP Overland

Outer Banks
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Yes they seem tight enough but I think I will bring it in tomorrow morning to get a balance and rotation done
Hey @cgui1971 ! How many miles are on your Bronco Sport now?

We wonder if the the bigger, heavier Fuel wheels have had a negative effect on your wheel bearings. The factory Badlands wheels are around 27 lbs each last we checked, and the Fuel wheels in that size are around 33 lbs. each. Usually, if you hear a strange or clunking noise when cornering, or have a shaking steering wheel, it could be wheel-bearing related.

While you're getting a balance and rotation, ask the shop to check for any noticeable play with the wheel bearings - if the tech is experienced enough, they will know what to do. If there is noticeable play, then the wheel bearing may be on its way out.
Sponsored

Last edited: