Lost my battery at 19 months

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
A heads up. It's usually a really cold morning when your battery goes and mine was no exception on my 2021 BL. Battery gave no indication it was getting weak. When I got in the dash was black and start button made no noise. Tried a jump box I carry in back and it wouldn't work. Got out my decades old battery charger and it went up to 15 amps. As I was standing there wondering about putting this much charge into the battery, the circuit breaker on the charger kicked it off. So I decided my battery was dead.

Some disassembly required to remove battery. The battery has a lip all the way around to hold it tight. So you can't pull it straight up, it must slide out from the front. That means taking loose and removing the air box and intake as well as unplugging a couple of connections to sensors. There is a YouTube video available.

I'm not up to speed on current batteries with glass beads, but the one in my Bronco didn't have the latest generation. The guy at O'Reilly's pulled up the replacement and told me that my old battery is not shown for my vehicle. So I got the new one, installed and everything seems fine. Didn't lose any radio presets or anything from unit being without power. Just a heads up that when the battery goes it goes. You want be able to get it out of park to push out of the garage for jumpers. At least in happened at home and not out in the woods.
Sponsored

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Look into resetting the BMS. Tells the battery management system that you replaced the battery. My Focus it can be done manually. Not sure if the BS has a similar procedure.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Battery Sensor Reset (Battery Management System (BMS) Reset):
When you install a new battery, reset the battery sensor by doing the following:
1. Switch ignition on, and leave the engine off.
Note: Complete Steps 2 & 3 within 10 seconds.
2. Flash the high beam headlamps five times, ending with the high beams off.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 3 times.
The battery warning lamp flashes 3 times to confirm that the reset is successful.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/ford-bms-battery-monitoring-system-how-it-works-how-to-properly-charge-how-to-power-accessories.7576/

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thanks for the tips on reset. I'm aware of that. But, everything is working fine, so I'm not going to jack with it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You want be able to get it out of park to push out of the garage for jumpers. At least in happened at home and not out in the woods.
Look for "Manual Park Release" in your Owner's Manual.

Use the manual park release to move your transmission from the park (P) position in the event of an electrical malfunction or emergency.
Activating the Manual Park Release Cable
  1. Apply the parking brake.See Electric Parking Brake.
Note: If the vehicle battery has run out of charge, use an external power source to apply the parking brake.
Ford Bronco Sport Lost my battery at 19 months {filename}

1. Locate the manual park release cable access cover on the lower instrument panel dash to the bottom left-hand side of the steering column.
  2. Remove the access cover using a plastic wedge or pry tool.
Note: Do not pull the tether until you are in the driver seat.
  1. Power your vehicle on without your foot on the brake pedal.
Note: Do not attempt this procedure when the engine is running. Failure to follow this instruction could result in vehicle damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.
  1. Once in the driver seat, press and hold the brake pedal. Do not release. Pull the orange tether towards the driver seat until the tether locks in the override position. Leave the tether.
  2. If done correctly, a Park Not Available, Transmission Not in Park, or Shift System Fault appears in the instrument cluster display.
Note: Your vehicle is now out of the park (P) position and is free to roll.
  1. With your foot still fully applied on the brake pedal, disengage the parking brake. See Electric Parking Brake.
  2. Switch off the ignition.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Thanks for the tips on reset. I'm aware of that. But, everything is working fine, so I'm not going to jack with it.
It's not about everything is working fine. There is more going on in the background. The BMS if not reset will think you are still using a aged battery, could damage the new battery due to how the BMS is managing the battery. Could cause insufficient charging and decrease the life of the new battery. Will take 2min to manually reset.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
As mentioned, BMS needs to be reset. Important to do.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A heads up. It's usually a really cold morning when your battery goes and mine was no exception on my 2021 BL. Battery gave no indication it was getting weak. When I got in the dash was black and start button made no noise. Tried a jump box I carry in back and it wouldn't work. Got out my decades old battery charger and it went up to 15 amps. As I was standing there wondering about putting this much charge into the battery, the circuit breaker on the charger kicked it off. So I decided my battery was dead.

Some disassembly required to remove battery. The battery has a lip all the way around to hold it tight. So you can't pull it straight up, it must slide out from the front. That means taking loose and removing the air box and intake as well as unplugging a couple of connections to sensors. There is a YouTube video available.

I'm not up to speed on current batteries with glass beads, but the one in my Bronco didn't have the latest generation. The guy at O'Reilly's pulled up the replacement and told me that my old battery is not shown for my vehicle. So I got the new one, installed and everything seems fine. Didn't lose any radio presets or anything from unit being without power. Just a heads up that when the battery goes it goes. You want be able to get it out of park to push out of the garage for jumpers. At least in happened at home and not out in the woods.

My Badlands battery was acting up in the same time frame as yours (19 months).
The battery is under factory warranty, you could have gotten a replacement for free.
The replacement battery is a Motorcraft AGM which is better than the original installed battery.
I have not had any issue's since replacement.

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yes. I could have gotten it under warranty, but this was on Sunday and ice everywhere. I didn't want to jack with a dealer and take a week to get a battery.:rockon: When the O'Reilly guy rang up the battery it was $261. My son said, "We meant to put that on my business account" and the price went to $170. Pretty good mark-up in batteries, huh?

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My Badlands battery was acting up in the same time frame as yours (19 months).
The battery is under factory warranty, you could have gotten a replacement for free.
The replacement battery is a Motorcraft AGM which is better than the original installed battery.
I have not had any issue's since replacement.
The original battery is a Motorcraft AGM battery. I had to replace my battery at around 18 months. I was out of the warranty period because of the miles I drive.

I had my dealer install the same Motorcraft AGM battery. I also had a noisy alternator. It was making a slight clicking sound, still changing though. The dealer replaced the alternator which was also out of warranty.

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Battery Sensor Reset (Battery Management System (BMS) Reset):
When you install a new battery, reset the battery sensor by doing the following:
1. Switch ignition on, and leave the engine off.
Note: Complete Steps 2 & 3 within 10 seconds.
2. Flash the high beam headlamps five times, ending with the high beams off.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 3 times.
The battery warning lamp flashes 3 times to confirm that the reset is successful.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/ford-bms-battery-monitoring-system-how-it-works-how-to-properly-charge-how-to-power-accessories.7576/
It warmed up a bit and I went out and performed BMS rest. But, in the thread just above the one you quoted another poster says the BMS checks the battery on start and after every few hours?

"
Have always had my trickle charge hooked up to the terminals as detailed when I installed it:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/project-obronco.2688/post-47293

No issues. I charge with the vehicle off anyhow. I don't know why the video is charging koeo other than to demonstrate that the sensor operates. When you restart the car, it's going to recalculate the battery charge. Video admits the car recalculates state of charge every few hours regardless. If there was any other effect, there would be some complicated procedure to calibrate after a battery replacement. I think the point about not grabbing loads directly off the battery is the most important part. "

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The original battery is a Motorcraft AGM battery. I had to replace my battery at around 18 months. I was out of the warranty period because of the miles I drive.

I had my dealer install the same Motorcraft AGM battery. I also had a noisy alternator. It was making a slight clicking sound, still changing though. The dealer replaced the alternator which was also out of warranty.
In my case your statement, "the original battery is a Motorcraft AGM" is not accurate.
The original factory installed battery in my 2021 Badlands was a FoMoCo lead acid battery.
The replacement I received under warranty was a Motorcraft AGM which is better than my original, and better yet I didn't have to pay for it.

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
In my case your statement, "the original battery is a Motorcraft AGM" is not accurate.
The original factory installed battery in my 2021 Badlands was a FoMoCo lead acid battery.
The replacement I received under warranty was a Motorcraft AGM which is better than my original, and better yet I didn't have to pay for it.
I had my BS OB in service today to inspect the condition of the brake pads. All good after 77,000 miles.

I asked the service manager the AGM battery question. He told me that the OEM battery should be the AGM unit, however Ford was struggling to get parts and some installed batteries were common lead acid.

My BS was an early 21 and was equipped with the AGM battery.

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Same here with my BL. I suspected Ford may have skimped on the factory installed battery. The guy at O'Reilly's seemed to think that. Overall, I'm very satisfied with y BL. It's never been back to the dealership for repairs.

sholescurtis

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

Having gone thru the same thing in my last two VWs ( so done with them), I’m disappointed to hear this. My understanding of recent battery purchases is that they often have at least a 3-4 yr way. Was this not the case?
Sponsored

Last edited: