atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
Ok so vehicle was purchased oct 2021. We had the brake recall done july 2022.

August 27th 2022 my wife and are driving on I-10 in florida cruise set 75ish i believe.

Wrench comes on and says service vehicle soon. Then it starts having issues maintaining the speed. I figured id better pull over and check it out so i get off on first exit and pull into a truck stop. As soon as i pulled up to a pump the brakes went almost to the floor and turned hard as a rock. No power brakes.

I pulled it out of the way and we called ford to get it towed. 4hrs later they had it delivered to a ford in pensacola who wouldnt even look at it until sept 17th. We had to have it moved to another one.

Long story short it was the vacuum pump. Bad thing is if this had failed on the interstate when id have needed to do a quick stop we would probably be a splat mark.
Sponsored

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Ihave to say moving away from the old pull lever emergency brake was not good. No one is going to easily find the BS emergency brake that quickly.

I like the pull bar in the middle just for those occasions.

OP
OP

atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
Ford Bronco Sport Lost brakes 12k miles 2021 bronco sport base model Screenshot_20220920-135522_Chrome

Cant say if its the same as the booster.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ihave to say moving away from the old pull lever emergency brake was not good. No one is going to easily find the BS emergency brake that quickly.

I think I could find mine pretty quickly.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

You can use the electronic parking brake for an emergency.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Just a general statement -- while there are of course differences between vehicles, most parking brakes are not very effective.

In fact, I believe the mfrs began referring to them as "parking brakes" because they (or their attorneys) were concerned that the previous term "emergency brake" implies that it is a brake that is effective in an emergency -- which is usually not the case.

IDK about the Bronco Sport specifically -- it may be better than average but many parking brakes are intended for just that -- parking. Take my 2002 WRX -- it has rear rotors that have a small brake drum built in, with shoes that are used exclusively for the parking brake. Needless to say, they fade within seconds (ask me how I know).

Even vehicles with 4-wheel disc brakes that use the rear calipers and pads as the parking brake do not decelerate very well when using the parking brake.

No doubt *any* braking is better than none, just don't expect the parking brake to do very much.

OP
OP

atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
Just a general statement -- while there are of course differences between vehicles, most parking brakes are not very effective.

In fact, I believe the mfrs began referring to them as "parking brakes" because they (or their attorneys) were concerned that the previous term "emergency brake" implies that it is a brake that is effective in an emergency -- which is usually not the case.

IDK about the Bronco Sport specifically -- it may be better than average but many parking brakes are intended for just that -- parking. Take my 2002 WRX -- it has rear rotors that have a small brake drum built in, with shoes that are used exclusively for the parking brake. Needless to say, they fade within seconds (ask me how I know).

Even vehicles with 4-wheel disc brakes that use the rear calipers and pads as the parking brake do not decelerate very well when using the parking brake.

No doubt *any* braking is better than none, just don't expect the parking brake to do very much.
Exactly. The parking brake is tied to the rear brakes which have almost no weight on them in a braking situation.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
IDK about the Bronco Sport specifically -- it may be better than average but many parking brakes are intended for just that -- parking.
The operative word is "emergency." From the owner's manual:

Note: Do not apply the electric parking brake when your vehicle is moving, except in an emergency. If you repeatedly use the electric parking brake to slow or stop your vehicle, you could cause damage to the brake system.

You can use the electric parking brake to slow or stop your vehicle in an emergency.
Ford Bronco Sport Lost brakes 12k miles 2021 bronco sport base model Screenshot_20220920-135522_Chrome
Pull the switch up and hold it.
The red warning lamp illuminates, a tone sounds and the stoplamps turn on.
The electric parking brake continues to slow your vehicle down unless you release the switch.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I think one of the issues here is the perception of what “emergency “ means in this circumstance. This is about a loss of normal braking function in the vehicle. It’s not about a braking scenario that requires heavy braking (like a sudden obstacle in the road). The emergency brake is a redundant system that is designed to give the driver an alternative way to stop the vehicle when there is a failure in the primary system.

I think most people understand this but I think it’s important sometimes to be sure everyone is talking about the same thing.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I agree with the manual, although I'm surprised Ford felt the need to explain that the parking brake should not be used to repeatedly.:cool:

Seriously, is that a problem -- people routinely using the parking brake to slow/stop their vehicle?

Anyway, to be clear, I'm not saying the parking brake should never be used -- only that people should not expect much deceleration if/when they do use it. I get the impression that some people (no one here of course, generally speaking) have watched too many Fast & Furious movies and expect the parking brake to be like a boat anchor.

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
Growing up my father always stressed ‘Parking brake’. It was to be used to keep a parked car from rolling. During high school (late 70’s) the driver’s training course always told us it was not and ‘Emergency brake’ although it could be used in an emergency. Those were all step on, handle pull to release. My ‘80 Mustang had the brake bar between the seats. The trucks were step on. One was pull to release. The other was step off. What the all had in common? They were mechanical. Sounds like the Sport is an electronic switch attached to a new design. 🤞🤞🤞 that it works for all of us if we need it. Personally, I’m hoping if I stand on the brakes, the ABS does what it’s supposed to and I’m thankful I learned to drive with old school power assist brakes and steering that was crap compared to what we have today. Sorry for the long rant of a post. 🫣

OP
OP

atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
I think we've gotten a little off the rails on this one.

The root problem here is why are power brakes failing on a new car with 12k miles?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I think we've gotten a little off the rails on this one.

The root problem here is why are power brakes failing on a new car with 12k miles?
Yup, definitely gone off-topic, sorry OP.
Sponsored