SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm not sure what I did to troubleshoot and fix this but it has been fixed. Shortly after my very last post on this thread, I tried some things out and it worked. Haven't had this issue since. Now I just wish I paid attention to what I did.
Sponsored

NJBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I think i finally solved this issue. I have been messing around with it for weeks trying different things, Last night i decided to using the key fob to open the lift gate i hit the button 2x it opened i closed it locked the truck and tried the button and to my surprise and joy it opened! I hope this works for other people, I know i missed being able to open the hatch without having to unlock the truck first.
Holy smokes....this have been driving me nuts and so glad you posted this. Worked like a charm and fixed! Thanks.

DatWayMon

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I think i finally solved this issue. I have been messing around with it for weeks trying different things, Last night i decided to using the key fob to open the lift gate i hit the button 2x it opened i closed it locked the truck and tried the button and to my surprise and joy it opened! I hope this works for other people, I know i missed being able to open the hatch without having to unlock the truck first.
Thanks so much for posting this. It didn't solve the problem on the first attempt, but after three or four tries everything is back to normal.

This is the second forum post in as many days that has saved me from having to make a trip to the dealership.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I tried this a week ago and have been trying it every day to see if it still works, and it does. The last try was outside the supermarket an hour ago.

Definitely fixed it for me.
This happened to my Bronco Sport again -- not sure what causes "intelligent" access to stop working with the gate every so often. But unlocking (2x clicks) with the fob, closing, locking with the fob, and doing this four times in a row finally 'reset' something and it works. Don't give up after one unlock-lock cycle if you're trying this fix.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Unfortunately, I can't get the fix outlined here to 'stick': glass opens fine with intelligent access, but not the gate. I can temporarily fix it but a day later it stops working until I go through the lock/unlock cycle with the key fob.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Mine worked for about a month, then quit opening the hatch yesterday morning. I did the fix, and it's now working again.

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Bringing this back up again. It happened again to me yesterday. Glass opens, tailgate wont until I use the fob. It keeps coming back. It's as if a module goes to sleep after so long, and then stops monitoring the tailgate button. Then the only way to wake it back up (for a short period of time) is to use the fob. Then it works again. I have not seen anything from ford yet on this issue. If you have experienced this, please add to this thread for visibility.

Edit: Looked up the wiring for this. Looks like the Liftgate and Glass are both monitored by the BCM, but the output for the glass actuator comes from the Battery Junction box, while the tailgate output comes directly from the BCM. Which... I bet shut down the relay due to an error in the programming to save power.

Last edited:

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have not seen anything from ford yet on this issue. If you have experienced this, please add to this thread for visibility.
+1 -- this is exactly what happens to me. While the liftgate does not open when I press the button on the gate, I noticed both rear turn signals still flash.

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Huh, I've had this issue completely go away even before I updated the software. I believe I put my fix somewhere in here. Maybe last comment or 2 ago. Might check that cause I don't remember how I did it. Too long ago. But great detective work on the source of the problem. Hopefully Ford will come out with a permanent fix.

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Update: the issue came back!

There was no rhyme or reason with how it happened but it was a VERY simple fix.

Take the fob and hit the lift gate unlock button x2. Lift it a little bit, shut it, go over to the touch door locks on the handle and touch it where you would normally to lock the vehicle. That's it. Tested it bunches of times. It recognizes the fob now in my pocket and allows me to open the gate without doing anything extra other than pressing that button to unlock and "ajar" the lift gate.

Another theory: maybe you just need to send the signal to the lift gate every once in awhile the same way you you send the signal when you double tap unlock to unlock all doors? I don't know.

Try it and tell me if it works.

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Bringing this back up again. It happened again to me yesterday. Glass opens, tailgate wont until I use the fob. It keeps coming back. It's as if a module goes to sleep after so long, and then stops monitoring the tailgate button. Then the only way to wake it back up (for a short period of time) is to use the fob. Then it works again. I have not seen anything from ford yet on this issue. If you have experienced this, please add to this thread for visibility.

Edit: Looked up the wiring for this. Looks like the Liftgate and Glass are both monitored by the BCM, but the output for the glass actuator comes from the Battery Junction box, while the tailgate output comes directly from the BCM. Which... I bet shut down the relay due to an error in the programming to save power.
Oh wow. I just said the same thing as you basically. Probably should've read the new comments.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
On mine after it stopped working I hit the liftgate unlock button on the fob twice then the third time I held it for a few seconds. Worked fine after that.

ACGilbert

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
This problem has been with mine since day two. Use the Fob then all is well for a while. It’s so intermittent I can’t figure out what actions, if any, trigger it. My Badlands is a keeper anyway.
AC

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This problem has been with mine since day two. Use the Fob then all is well for a while. It’s so intermittent I can’t figure out what actions, if any, trigger it. My Badlands is a keeper anyway.
AC
I think it literally just loses recognition of the fob after a period of time. I had to do the x2 trunk unlock trick for the 2nd time since I got mine in April. It's a minor inconvenience now that I know how to fix it.

Bill G

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands, 66 Tiger
If I’m not mistaken the BCM is supposedly the culprit behind the “no key present” starting issue when it’s hot too. Still no fix for that either according to dealer.
But, as AC said, my BL is still a keeper!
Sponsored