Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Because the vehicle is sitting there idling while not moving, which is zero mpg.
If you're remote starting your vehicle because you want it toasty warm or nice 'n' cool before driving that's one thing. If you're doing it because you think it's good for the engine then you're doing it for the wrong reason. There's no benefit to the engine for a warm up beyond the few seconds it takes to get oil pumped throughout the engine. 5W20 oil is quite thin, and it will flow nicely even at very low temps. Further, the computer keeps the mixture rich by injecting more fuel into the cylinders (it's a direct-injected engine) when the engine is cold. We used to do this manually with a choke, but the computer does it automatically these days. The problem is gasoline is a magnificent solvent, which can serve to clean the oil film off the cylinder walls.

It's better to drive the car carefully while it warms up. That way you waste less fuel, and the engine warms up faster limiting the time the computer keeps the mixture rich.
Sponsored

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
2021 BS Outer Banks 1.5. I drive in Sport mode, constant 27 MPG combined and when towing my camper I get 17 MPG in the hills and straight highway i typically get 30 MPG. Display is pretty accurate but I check at actual fill up and milage on the ODO. I never drive in normal unless in snow or in eco as the shifting points suck.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
These are boxy vehicles that although small in size are not exactly lightweight. The weight is a big factor for acceleration; the harder you accelerate the more fuel required. The 1.5L engine is capable of accelerating the Bronco Sport to 60 mph in under 8 seconds, but if you do it all the time your mileage will suffer. The boxy shape affects mileage on the highway. Higher speed requires more power which requires more fuel. Anything over 70 mph will have a significant impact on mileage.

You can't beat the laws of physics. EcoBoost engines offer owners a choice between power & efficiency. TANSTAAFL. Eco or boost; you must choose.
TANSTAAFL= There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm going to have to disagree with your assumptions of the boxy shape affecting mileage much and especially with the opinion that anything over 70 will have a significant impact on mileage.

I average around 29 mpg on my Outer Banks, with around 1/2 of the mileage I put on being in town and half on the freeway. On the freeway, I do 80~85MPH at all times unless traffic stops it which is almost never and I'm on the freeway every week. When I drop down to 75, the mileage goes to around 30 mpg. Running around town it's around 27-1/2 mpg so there isn't a huge difference between town and freeway.

And, I like a brisk acceleration off stoplights and on freeway onramps, and the onramps I try to see how quickly I can go from 20 or so to 85.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I average around 29 mpg on my Outer Banks, with around 1/2 of the mileage I put on being in town and half on the freeway. On the freeway, I do 80~85MPH at all times unless traffic stops it which is almost never and I'm on the freeway every week. When I drop down to 75, the mileage goes to around 30 mpg. Running around town it's around 27-1/2 mpg so there isn't a huge difference between town and freeway.
Thanks for the data point. I don't think we are in as much disagreement as you think. Driving 80 mph in traffic is not the same as 80 mph on the open road. If you're in a line of cars you're essentially drafting, which is cheating when it comes to fuel economy! The difference you report between 80-85 mph and 75 mph would be accounted for in the reduced engine RPM at those speeds. If you add wind resistance it should be much higher, especially with a vehicle like the Bronco Sport that is in no way designed to be slippery. Here's some data showing how speed affects fuel mileage:

https://www.mpgforspeed.com/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/09/tested-speed-vs-fuel-economy/index.htm

And, I like a brisk acceleration off stoplights and on freeway onramps, and the onramps I try to see how quickly I can go from 20 or so to 85.
If you're getting 27+ mpg around town with a heavy foot then color me surprised. Question: Is this hand-measured mileage or what the computer is indicating on the dash? I've found the indicated mileage is optimistic--typically from 1 to 2.5 mpg better than actual (hand-computed) mileage. This is true of our Badlands, the 2017 Mustang I traded for the Badlands, and the wife's Escape (both the 2014 she had and the 2020 she now owns). To get the most accurate measurement you should track mileage over three tankfuls.

Your avatar doesn't show where you live, but I'm guessing someplace warmer. Cold temps really bring down fuel economy, especially if you make a lot of short trips. That's because the engine runs richer (computer injects more fuel than normal) until it achieves operating temperature. If you're getting 27+ in town my guess is you live somewhere warm.

Sensei

Big Bend
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My heavy foot is the explaination for me only gettting 23-25mph on the reg.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Base Model.. In shadow black of course..
Ford Bronco Sport Lagging gas mileage 53E1D616-74F6-4612-B4D7-E5EF09DD2066
?
My granny driving mpg’s after a reset, meaningless but I wanted to panic the mileage guru’s :’P

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
if I drive conservatively on a road trip on the highway, Eco mode, cruise control etc. the best I have gotten is up to 38.2 mpg but that was in warm weather and very flat. I have gotten 460+ miles on a single tank going from New York to Burlington VT and back which put me around 30mpg which is pretty standard for me on a road trip.

This time of year with remote start (for the heat when I hop in) or to thaw the glass, plus winter fuel, and a lot of local driving I'm in the mid to maybe high 20's

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Only does that in Eco Goat mode.
I just put in my forth full tank of gas at around 1200 miles. Barely broke in my mpg with the 1.5 is averaging 33, +/- 2 which is amazing considering my cummute. I drive in "Normal Mode" exclusively from Hallandale to Miami International, a 50 mile round trip. It's Freeway 95% of the way. It's almost impossible to use cruise because of congestion and wild swings in speed, that is why I am amazed at my mpg. One big difference I've noticed is type of fuel I use. It loves Sunoco ethanol free 90. I put in a tank of Mobile EF 89 and milage dropped to 25-27 mpg. Be sure and reset the mpg at fill up, you'll have a more accurate average if you change fuel specs.

Ford Bronco Sport Lagging gas mileage 20220120_172949
Sponsored