Lack of "stop points" on 2022 gear shift dial...is this true?

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just read that the MY2022 has no positive stops at the ends of the gear shift dials (Park and Drive), whereas the 2021 did. Is this actually the case? Is there any way to change or modify this? First with the lack of temperature control displays on the dials, and now this...the more I read, the more I feel like I was shortchanged by factory ordering a MY2022 vs MY2021. Seems like all they did was *remove* features, not add any. Can anyone confirm this detail about the 2022's?
Sponsored

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Just read that the MY2022 has no positive stops at the ends of the gear shift dials (Park and Drive), whereas the 2021 did. Is this actually the case? Is there any way to change or modify this? First with the lack of temperature control displays on the dials, and now this...the more I read, the more I feel like I was shortchanged by factory ordering a MY2022 vs MY2021. Seems like all they did was *remove* features, not add any. Can anyone confirm this detail about the 2022's?
I feel like they removed some smaller features as well. But they have also added some as well from my understanding. Universal Garage door opener, usb In the back are the only ones I'm aware of.

Considering I got an email today that my BL is delayed almost 3 months after ordering and it never even had a production date scheduled. I'll be surprised if I'm lumped into the 2023 model year, and more features are "missing". I anticipated a 6-8 month wait if course, but definitely seems like more missing items then added.

*cough* engine cover, *cough* engine insulation *cough*

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Just read that the MY2022 has no positive stops at the ends of the gear shift dials (Park and Drive), whereas the 2021 did. Is this actually the case? ?
This is the case. I had a 2021 Big Bend and it had positive stops at park and drive. Sold it and got a 2022 Outer Banks and it doesnā€™t. Itā€™s no big deal.

Itā€™s a little strange at first but anything past the stop doesnā€™t matter anyway. If you go past drive. It just stays in drive no matter how much you turn it. Same with going back to park. Heck, you donā€™t even have to go back to park. Just shut the engine off and let the vehicle automatically put it in park.

itā€™s a non-issue.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
What Iā€™m noticing is when ppl order a BS they get it near the end of that model year.
Iā€™d feel like I got a year old vehicle. And then Iā€™ll find out what features where omitted.
Ford, your going down a bad side road with this trend.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It's just what everyone has to do to keep production going.
I'm going back to analog control of a drive at work, cause it's 140wks to get a communications card.

Waiting for vacuum tubes to comeback...

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Never even noticed I had a stop point. But if I didnā€™t I donā€™t think it would matter much to me.
My fan twisty donā€™t have a stop.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
This is the case. I had a 2021 Big Bend and it had positive stops at park and drive. Sold it and got a 2022 Outer Banks and it doesnā€™t. Itā€™s no big deal.

Itā€™s a little strange at first but anything past the stop doesnā€™t matter anyway. If you go past drive. It just stays in drive no matter how much you turn it. Same with going back to park. Heck, you donā€™t even have to go back to park. Just shut the engine off and let the vehicle automatically put it in park.

itā€™s a non-issue.
People get in a twist over nothing.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Never even noticed I had a stop point. But if I didnā€™t I donā€™t think it would matter much to me.
My fan twisty donā€™t have a stop.
Exactly. If nobody had ever driven a 2021 and then a 2022 and happened to notice the difference and then posted it on the internet, it would be a big nothing. Somebody did notice the difference and said something. Then it turns into 'something'. Then it gets people thinking they were short-changed.

I've had both shifter dials. There is a minute difference in the way it operates but if you don't normally try to shift beyond park and drive, there is no difference. Like I said before, if you happen to turn it too far, it doesn't matter because it only shifts as far as park one way and drive the other way, no matter how much you turn it.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
For one, I prefer this. Oddly enough, the Focus hybrid I drove last summer did the same spin around, so it's not new...

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
It is probably an engineering change to keep people from breaking the dial. With a hard stop, some people will keep turning and break the stop. Without the stop, you can turn it all you want but never be able to apply any real force that would break it.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
It is probably an engineering change to keep people from breaking the dial. With a hard stop, some people will keep turning and break the stop. Without the stop, you can turn it all you want but never be able to apply any real force that would break it.
Exactly what I was just thinking.

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
I noticed this at the offroadeo. I kinda prefer my my22 because I just sort of spin it and go.

Reactions: ZQ8

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yup, not an issue with an automatic! I just donā€™t want them doing that with a real manual! I still occasionally reach for the shifter or go for the clutch after driving mostly manuals for 50 years. šŸ˜Ž

Reactions: ZQ8

TheDeadlySpaceman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Heck, you donā€™t even have to go back to park. Just shut the engine off and let the vehicle automatically put it in park.
I assumed the lack of stops was because of this behavior. I always put it into park, but if there are stops then each position is married to a gear. No stops and youā€™re just spinning the dial to move the indicator.

OP
OP
SeanMcNally

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Alright, I thought I replied on this thread already, but maybe not. Iā€™m the original poster, I thought this would be an issue before I got the car. Iā€™ve had it for four months now, and I can confidently say itā€™s not an issue.

Despite the fact that you can scroll past park or drive on the dial, it still moves in a satisfying way, and easily becomes muscle memory after your third or fourth drive. You can feel each click of the dial, which isnā€™t too soft nor too hard to turn, and you know that once you hit your third click, on the fourth click you can stop turning to go from park to drive or vice versa. Itā€™s not an issue.

As for the other downgrades, I already replaced my HVAC unit with a ā€˜21 module and got ā€˜21 folding headrests. The engine on light on the start/stop button doesnā€™t really bother me, and Iā€™m lucky enough to have a car with the trunk pop button near my headlamp switch.
Sponsored