Isolated problems or the Ford norm

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
I keep reading through the various (“issues, noises, problems, etc.”) threads and have to ask because I haven't owned a Ford since high school (22 years ago). Is this par for the course, a bad batch, QA part issues from COVID, or poor manufacturing overall?

I've always owned foreign-made cars, Honda or Subaru, and they lasted 10 plus years with routine maintenance and minor repairs. With my BSBL scheduled to be built in May, I'm growing more concerned that this vehicle is going to have a much higher cost of ownership from needed repairs and/or will not last 10 plus years. Any diehard Ford owners that can put me at ease?
Sponsored

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
Always keep in mind that you're looking at forums where people are discussing their experience. Those who have no complaints, just praise, tend not to make as many posts about it as those who do have complaints. People tend to be more vocal when something is wrong, in other words, so the negative voices (right or wrong) drown out the positive ones.

Some of it will come down to people being more picky than others, some concerns are genuine but rather rare. Unless you see a particular issue that is clearly widespread, it's unwise to dwell on it unless you should have the bad luck to run into it for yourself.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Considering Ford has sold thousands of Bronco Sports, the number of complaints posted here or on other forums as well as formal complaints to NHTSA are very low.
I wouldn't make my purchase decision based on what few have posted.
FWIW no vehicle or manufacturer is perfect.. Do your own research and do what's best for you.

Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
The modern vehicle is a very complex piece of machinery.
they make several unusual noises, I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s very noticeable and throwing a light or code.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Always keep in mind that you're looking at forums where people are discussing their experience. Those who have no complaints, just praise, tend not to make as many posts about it as those who do have complaints. People tend to be more vocal when something is wrong, in other words, so the negative voices (right or wrong) drown out the positive ones.

Some of it will come down to people being more picky than others, some concerns are genuine but rather rare. Unless you see a particular issue that is clearly widespread, it's unwise to dwell on it unless you should have the bad luck to run into it for yourself.
This is the correct answer. Plus, because I’ve committed to the BSBL now with an order, regardless of the decontenting or potential noise concerns, I’m spending all my time on this forum. I’m sure had I committed to another vehicle and spent time on their forums, that I’d be wondering the same thing, but I don’t now read about others.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I keep reading through the various (“issues, noises, problems, etc.”) threads and have to ask because I haven't owned a Ford since high school (22 years ago). Is this par for the course, a bad batch, QA part issues from COVID, or poor manufacturing overall?

I've always owned foreign-made cars, Honda or Subaru, and they lasted 10 plus years with routine maintenance and minor repairs. With my BSBL scheduled to be built in May, I'm growing more concerned that this vehicle is going to have a much higher cost of ownership from needed repairs and/or will not last 10 plus years. Any diehard Ford owners that can put me at ease?
I’m replacing a 16 year old Ford Escape. No major issues except for the Iron Oxide Cancer that comes from living up north where they now rinse the roads in liquid salt prior to any hint of snow. I’ve own primarily Fords for 50 years. Never really had any major or constant problems. Owned a Nissan, Honda’s, a Lexus and a Chevy tossed in there as well. Same experience, take care of them, they’ll take care of you.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.

Well I hope I can put your mind at ease, I’m a little on the fence too, only about this 3 cylinder engine tho, can we get 150000-200000 miles from her I sure as heck hope so. I just traded in my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew with only 94,000 miles an I only used the warranty once when about 3 1/2 years old when an ac line ruptured. That’s the only thing that let go in the 19 years I owned her, I’m sure the engineering has come along way in those 19 years. I’m a Diehard Ford guy wouldn’t own anything but Ford. But hey it’s not for everyone. You got your diehard Chevy or Dodge or Honda guys etc, but at least your trying and I Hope you have a wonderful experience with your Bronco Sport when you get her. Good Luck either way, Steve

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I, like escape2bronco and jad67428, am a die hard Ford guy. I got that from my father who only drove Ford's. Now, in my 60 years of vehicle ownership I have owned a variety of other manufacturers products but those were early in my life and I couldn't be too choosy as $$$ was the primary driver! That being said, I owned a 71 mercury comet gt that I owned for 7 years and was the car my wife and I drove on our honeymoon to Vegas in June of 79. It was 115 degrees in Vegas then! No AC but that car was a beast and other than routine servicing the only thing that ended its life was an accident that totaled her. She never left me on the road. I had an 08 escape 4wd v6 I owned for 10 years drove it all over the state of California to and from Colorado (I70) even once in the winter over the high passes in a snow storm and it was a trooper. I know this is a long post but I just wanted to give my personal experiences with Fords. Thanks for letting reminisce.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

I have the same concerns as you lol. I recently retired my 08 corolla 5 speed manual with well over 300k miles. Most reliable I’ve owned. Now I have a 21 bronco sport as my commuter car. I drive 90 miles round trip Mon-Fri. I hope this car gives me at least 5 reliable years..

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
From looking at reliability scores, Ford has definitely improved. Drivetrains are far better than they used to be. Cars do have more parts and more electronics to cause minor issues these days, and I think they lag a bit on that.

My previous two cars were Hondas, I had a 2017 crv that had a serious oil dilution issue, and a couple annoying issues with the grill shutters and tpms. My folks had a ‘00 odyssey with major transmission issues just out of warranty. With my car Honda wouldn’t admit anything was wrong, and I get the feeling like they’re resting on their laurels and not acknowledging problems.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
My last 3 work trucks were a 2010 Ranger, 2014 F250 and 2017 F150. Combined, those trucks accumulated around 450,000 miles with ONE repair outside of routine maintenance. A LF wheel bearing assembly failed prematurely on the F150 around 80,000 miles. We've been running Rams since 2020 and they've got some big shoes to fill reliability wise; so far so good but it's too early to tell how they will hold up. From 2000 to 2010 we had GMs and dumped thousands upon thousands into those trucks, not to mention all the down-time. Never again.

Our '12 Focus went 128,000 trouble-free miles, and ended up being better than our '05 Toyota Matrix, so our BS also has a lot to live up to.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Well I hope I can put your mind at ease, I’m a little on the fence too, only about this 3 cylinder engine tho, can we get 150000-200000 miles from her I sure as heck hope so. I just traded in my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew with only 94,000 miles an I only used the warranty once when about 3 1/2 years old when an ac line ruptured. That’s the only thing that let go in the 19 years I owned her, I’m sure the engineering has come along way in those 19 years. I’m a Diehard Ford guy wouldn’t own anything but Ford. But hey it’s not for everyone. You got your diehard Chevy or Dodge or Honda guys etc, but at least your trying and I Hope you have a wonderful experience with your Bronco Sport when you get her. Good Luck either way, Steve
I recall when 4 cylinders in pickups were relatively new, and people expressed the same concern about longevity as you are questioning here regarding the 3 cylinders. Turned out ok for 4 cylinders...I suspect it'll prove the same for these 3 cylinders.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
From looking at reliability scores, Ford has definitely improved. Drivetrains are far better than they used to be. Cars do have more parts and more electronics to cause minor issues these days, and I think they lag a bit on that.

My previous two cars were Hondas, I had a 2017 crv that had a serious oil dilution issue, and a couple annoying issues with the grill shutters and tpms. My folks had a ‘00 odyssey with major transmission issues just out of warranty. With my car Honda wouldn’t admit anything was wrong, and I get the feeling like they’re resting on their laurels and not acknowledging problems.
I had Hondas for years, starting back in the 1980s and most recently with a 2018 Honda Odyssey we had until recently. Throughout those years, I enjoyed all of them, and loved the peace of mind knowing what quality cars they were. Everybody always talked about how great they were. They were top notch! Despite almost all of them breaking down on my routinely! Electrical problems beyond repair on an Accord I had in the late 80's. Countless warranty fixes on my 2006 loaded Odyssey, including engine mounts that must have been made out of playdoh, based on how frequently they failed, one-by-one, as well as lumbar support bars in the seats you had to be careful to lean back against or they'd shatter. The 2018 Odyssey was beautiful! Wonderful driving experience. Both sliding doors broke and were repaired under recall, and the back hatch popped off it's rails routinely and had to be reset. Couldn't handle it for more than 3 years and about 32k miles, so got rid of it and don't see myself ever getting another Honda. Loved them, until I got tired of fooling myself and realized how crappy they are!
Sponsored