Interesting rumor - Badlands trim dropped

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
This thread has me thinking a lot about the "what if"...

I test drove an OB first, my impression was that i liked it. Not loved it but liked it a lot. It was just missing "something".

Next I test drove the Badlands mannequin they had and the missing "something" was the extra torque of the 2.0. Another thing was the front camera, there have many times where a front camera would be nice. Also the rear diff sets the Badlands apart in capability as well and semi-deep snow and ice are things I want to be able to traverse with relative ease.

So If there was no Badlands would I have bought the OB? I don't think so. While I like the styling better than the competitors i just don't think it offers anything for me that my Rav4 Hybrid doesn't already have and my Rav4 gets 40mpg and has a garage door opener <zing!>.

OTOH, we saw a Cactus grey OB today and it sure looked nice.

So "what if" the Badlands off-road hardware and tech was in every trim? I think the OB would be an easy choice with just a slight bit of thought going to a base model I could build up but we like the creature comforts too much in our old age.
Sponsored

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
WHAT??? Can’t you read between your own lines? You basically said the 2.0 was done-for and now you’re backpedaling! Your logic has doomed the 2.0! :cwl::cwl::cwl: But seriously, it’s just a freaking trim package that pissed a lot of people off because “I can’t believe it included a moonroof”., which BTW was a requirement for me. Anyway, who cares. I hope going forward you can order a la carte and get what you want. I ordered mine loaded (skipping the cargo management system) and love it.
Please show me where I said anything about Ford duping the 2.0 motor .

Seems some here missed the points I made , which doesn't surprise me. The BS is the same thing , except for some add on comforts or Bolt on performance Parts . Last I looked they are all AWD , the BL has different controls for it .

They stopped making all BS because of parts shortages , so did a lot of other car manufacturers , you will never get the real story by these Articles by people who are just guessing . Yes I have gave my opinion , like everyone else here , but if you look at the history of car marketing , they all make changes to trim , options by what is actually being purchased . When we looked for a BS to purchase , the dealers were trying to push the BL & it was not something we wanted or needed or the extra expense .

Of the BS's in my area , five including ours , only one is a BL & its not about availability , it may be now , because there are few BS 's are available in any trim .

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I think you're spot on about the plan and the demand. A lot of offroaders like to kit up their own vehicle. They buy a base model and then take the money saved and buy up suspension, axle, wheel and equipment upgrades. The BS would be the same thing, if there was any aftermarket stuff to be had. Oh yeah, here and there a few things have popped out. A brush guard. An air kit. A couple lights. But it's too early in the release and the state of the world makes engineering and production of aftermarket stuff almost impossible. It's going to take time.

So the options are to get the most capable thing right now (Badlands) or buy something else and wait. Jeep does the same thing with the Trailhawk badge. It's the most capable thing Jeep makes, but still isn't as upgraded as someone could potentially do with a large selection of aftermarket stuff. Someday someone is going to make a Big Bend locker. They just will. You can't buy that today.

I bet the percentages of actual builds ordered was something more like 5%, 30%, 30%, 30%, 5%. The engine and the offroad components had to have poached other trims and the Outer Banks having the only full LUX package available (and Badlands with 95% of that) had to poach for tech oriented buyers. I will probably never use more than four of the seven GOAT modes. I bought it most of all for the engine. Badlands was the only 2021 trim I would pay for. I'm not the only one.
Nailed it. Well said

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Speaking of defecting from Jeep, where is that "no more beep beep jeep jeep' bronco babe?

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Dumbest article I ever read. No Badlands in dealer inventory so their conclusion is Ford will drop that trim cause none are in inventory? Yeah that makes a lot of sense??
I finally have my VIN delivery 7/8-7/14. Ordered 3/23/21. I doubt they'll drop the BL. It has the larger engine and packs a hell of a snap that keeps on going.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
The Bronco Sport and Maverick will share a factory and the 2.0 engine (only available in the badlands trim) is the only common engine between the two. Just one of the many reasons dropping the Badlands trim doesn't make sense.

Mudpie

First Edition
First Name
Mudpie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2009 Jeep JK
I would guess the only Badlands sitting on lots for more than a week have been priced above MSRP.

I've looked for a month to get BL+BL only to find that every one "in stock" was either a special order, not even close to production or sold. I looked as far away as 600 miles from home.

I gave up looking when everybody I called wanted MSRP+.

I was quote $15,000 over MSRP for a FE.

Mudpie

First Edition
First Name
Mudpie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2009 Jeep JK
The Bronco Sport and Maverick will share a factory and the 2.0 engine (only available in the badlands trim) is the only common engine between the two. Just one of the many reasons dropping the Badlands trim doesn't make sense.
FE has the 2.0L as well

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
FE has the 2.0L as well
Correct, but they're likely done or close to done making the FE trims, as it's a 2021 model year trim only (i.e. none will be made in 2022 and beyond).

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
There is zero chance they remove the Badlands trim. If for no other reason than to be able to keep using their "best in class" advertising. It's the same reason all car manufactures keep a top trim vehicle and narrowly define the "class" their vehicle is in.

JPK Omaha

First Name
JPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
I would reach the opposite conclusion. The reason Badlands are short in inventory is because that's the model most people want. And most of them are sold before they reach the dealer. Most people don't want a wimpy little 3 cylinder.

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
This is a wild thread — I absolutely lucked into my Badlands, and I’m so thrilled I did. I was just checking out the inventory at a local dealer, which had five or six Base and Big Bend models in blah colors (white, silver, etc) on the lot. I test drove one and liked it — had been considering a Wrangler, which I’d wanted for years — and mentioned to the salesman that I was most interested in an Outer Banks, preferably black or red, and that I was also hoping for a moonroof. “Oh, we have a red BS inside the showroom,” he says. Walked in and fell head over heels in love with this beautiful Badlands, and a few hours later, I was driving it home. I had no idea how fortunate I was to even stumble across one.