Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well, thanks everyone for your replies. I don't believe I have a bad BOV and I 100% hear the turbo noise. Maybe this has devolved into a discussion on semantics at this point.

Thanks for nothing ya party poopers
:crying:

OP
OP
Cursed Bronco

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a aFe CAI on my 1.5. The turbo noise doesn't become noticeable till around 3000 rpm and really sings at 5000. The turbo sounds even better IMO with the CAI. I also have a custom exhaust to add to the sound salad the little dragon makes when wound up. I might be biased but my 1.5 sounds better than most 4 cylinder cars with similar mods. The video posted sounds nothing like mine, I would look at the few things others have mentioned. If its under warranty get it into the shop in case its something more serious, ( and expensive ).
Thanks for your response! The posted video is the same sound, albeit much more often and more pronounced. A lot of people in the aftermarket add intakes to amplify turbo noise just like this, but I guess they must all have faulty engines. Stututu doesn't exist unless it's bad :cwl:

OP
OP
Cursed Bronco

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What exactly is turbo flutter?

Turbo flutter is the noise that occurs after you let go of the accelerator once you hit peak boost. It's caused by the airflow passing over the turbine blades in the turbocharger, which can be pretty loud.

But is turbo flutter bad? It's usually not harmful to the engine, but the noise can disturb some. This noise happens due to a few things, namely the state of the blow-off valve. Turbo flutter can become commonplace with a modified blow-off valve (or without one altogether). It occurs when the intake air from the turbocharger doesn’t have a place to go since the blow-off valve normally handles this. Without somewhere to go, the air goes back into the turbocharger, creating what is known as turbo flutter.

https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/blog/turbo-flutter-what-causes-that-noise

OP
OP
Cursed Bronco

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just took this video after work as

well

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Thanks for your response! The posted video is the same sound, albeit much more often and more pronounced. A lot of people in the aftermarket add intakes to amplify turbo noise just like this, but I guess they must all have faulty engines. Stututu doesn't exist unless it's bad :cwl:

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I just took this video after work as

well

That's not compressor surge and is NO WHERE near the sound that I posted. I also wouldnt describe it like this, like you did in your OP

"where I hear the obvious compressor surge "stutututu" sound"

But maybe thats just me🤷‍♂️.

Again, my link was a BAD VALVE. The valve would not fire open. It remained shut always. That is compressor surge at its absolute worst. What you have here is what @Mark S. alluded to and is just how the 1.5 is wired to "blow off/out/recirc" its excess pressure on a hard WOT, which is with a quick wisp of flutter at the very beginning of the charge dump. It tells me either the PCM, or the relay is a bit slow in its initial opening, when you first let off the throttle. The flutter I alluded to on my current Mustang setup (with a properly working valve) is a bit different and is at the tail end of the charge; because the intercooler volume is so large, it takes a long time to dump it back through the hose.

Congratulations on discovering the difference between compressor surge and turbo flutter.

Last edited:

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
So how come when I create that noise while sitting in the passenger seat after a bowl of pinto beans, my wife gets mad?
Sounds like you are venting to Atmosphere instead of Recirculating to intake. You will need probably 5ft of tubing to correct that problem

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
So how come when I create that noise while sitting in the passenger seat after a bowl of pinto beans, my wife gets mad?
Opening the windows helps with the Helmholtz resonance sound effect but not all resonant noises, but still may be necessary, requested or ordered, under the conditions you describe.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Opening the windows helps with the Helmholtz resonance sound effect but not all resonant noises, but still may be necessary, requested or ordered, under the conditions you describe.
And that's what I told her, although not quite using the words you did.

I said: "roll down the windows for a minute".