jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
This may be a bit of a silly thing to post, but hopefully it helps someone.

For whatever reason, my dealer didn't install the front license plate holder, even though I live in a state where they're required. They told me it was just a matter of drilling a few holes and screwing it in and I should be able to figure it out just fine. Took quite awhile to find the front license plate mount, but it was hidden underneath the spare tire.

However, the only mounting hardware was these odd nail things. (Yeah, I know, stop laughing at me...) There were also no instructions of any sort and I couldn't find anything online.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_142246759

So those are pop rivets, which took me way, way longer to figure out than it should have. (Yeah, I know, I'm not the brightest...) To use them, you need a rivet gun, which thankfully are cheap-ish ($20) and easy to find.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_142831987

You'll need to drill three holes in the front bumper. I think I used a 3/16" bit, but eyeball the thick end of the rivet and see:

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_142846311

The bumper is really thin where the mount goes, so be careful not to push too hard when drilling.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_143046824

The thick end of the rivet goes in, and the nail sticks out:

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_143255753

Put the rivet gun on the nail and pump the handle a few times until the rivet flattens and the nail pops out.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_143502253

Finish all three and you're good to go!
Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder PXL_20210529_143544824

I'm probably the only one who 1) didn't have a dealer who would install it, and 2) had never seen a pop rivet before, but I was a bit baffled by the whole thing and lack of instructions. Hopefully this helps someone, anyway#
Sponsored

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So many lazy dealers. Cannot pop rivet license plate holder on? They sent you away driving illegally with no front plate. Another dealer can’t trim to fit mud flap/splash guards to go on with fender flares?

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
your dealer sucks

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Looks good, good job

Sandman

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Bronco Sport
If anybody has a front license plate mount they don't need. I am a volunteer FF/EMT need to add my station tag on front. My dealer does not have any

Dedbolt

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS, 2013 Harley Switchback
I took off my plate holder off the front. Didnt want it installed as I live in a state that doesn't require a front plate...and the dealer put it on crooked. It bugged me and had a plate from the dealership on it. Your welcome to it.

Mascot1978

Outer Banks
First Name
Bev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

For whatever reason, my dealer didn't install the front license plate holder, even though I live in a state where they're required. They told me it was just a matter of drilling a few holes and screwing it in and I should be able to figure it out just fine. Took quite awhile to find the front license plate mount, but it was hidden underneath the spare tire.

However, the only mounting hardware was these odd nail things. (Yeah, I know, stop laughing at me...) There were also no instructions of any sort and I couldn't find anything online.

So those are pop rivets, which took me way, way longer to figure out than it should have. (Yeah, I know, I'm not the brightest...) To use them, you need a rivet gun, which thankfully are cheap-ish ($20) and easy to find.

You'll need to drill three holes in the front bumper. I think I used a 3/16" bit, but eyeball the thick end of the rivet and see:

The bumper is really thin where the mount goes, so be careful not to push too hard when drilling.

Put the rivet gun on the nail and pump the handle a few times until the rivet flattens and the nail pops out.

I'm probably the only one who 1) didn't have a dealer who would install it, and 2) had never seen a pop rivet before, but I was a bit baffled by the whole thing and lack of instructions. Hopefully this helps someone, anyway#
Don't feel bad....I spent 2 hrs on the front plate last night trying to get screw to stay in because the pre-drilled holes in bumper were either stripped, or I did it trying to simply mount a front plate which i have done a thousand times!!! Anyone know what I can do to make bolts stay in holes? Can't put nut on back of screw. Didn't get rivets. I did not attempt to do back plates....too aggravated?

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Don't feel bad....I spent 2 hrs on the front plate last night trying to get screw to stay in because the pre-drilled holes in bumper were either stripped, or I did it trying to simply mount a front plate which i have done a thousand times!!! Anyone know what I can do to make bolts stay in holes? Can't put nut on back of screw. Didn't get rivets. I did not attempt to do back plates....too aggravated?
Go to a bigger screw.....

Move it over 1/4 in...

Use a self adehesive tape on the contact spots like 3m

Fill holes with a sealant and do it again ..

Remove bumper and sue a bolt and nut.

tahpasohej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Edition
jofer, thanks for your post. I was able to find the stock front license plate at the dealer. The cost was about $33 after sales tax.

The part number is:
M1PZ17A385AA

This link shows the part on a diagram: Ford OE M1PZ17A385AA - Front License Plate Bracket (carid.com)

Your help eliminated any surprises (rivet gun) and the end result looked like it was installed at the assembly plant.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
My dealer wanted me to come back later to get plate installed. But I saw this thread and did it myself to save a trip back to dealer.

Tip: there are two small dimples in the front bumper for the two upper rivet holes. So if you drill where the dimples are it will be placed perfectly. I drilled the two upper holes first, put rivets in, then drilled the one lower hole last.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Our BS/BB did not come with one, & it is not listed on the window sticker. I got one from a nearby dealer & installed in a couple minutes using screws.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing front license plate holder 100_1821.JPG

BenOutside85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Subaru Outback

Mine came with having to do it myself too. This really helped as I too had not used a rivet gun before. Thanks so much for clear pics and instructions!

rkym

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport
Any one have a front license bracket for sale? i'm in need of one

Thank you
Sponsored