How accurate is the onboard TMPS PSI readout?

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I've filled my tires up to 33 psi several times now and when I check in the menus, they're at 31 psi.

I have 2 analog stick gauges, made by Milton, and they showed about 32 psi.

After I drive for a while, the tires will go to 33 or 34 psi but this got me thinking one of them may be off a couple of pounds.

I don't have a digital gauge but I do have access to a compressor that has a digital gauge and auto shut off. I'll try that out next week. It's been hot in Texas so I've had to check either early or late in the day.
Sponsored

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Drives me crazy. I have a compressor with a digital gauge. I like to run 35psi in my Goodyear Wranglers. I get all different readings from the TMPS on board and the Ford Pass app. I can never get all 4 tires to read the same PSI. Usually get 3 out of 4

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Drives me crazy. I have a compressor with a digital gauge. I like to run 35psi in my Goodyear Wranglers. I get all different readings from the TMPS on board and the Ford Pass app. I can never get all 4 tires to read the same PSI. Usually get 3 out of 4
Same here. 3 and one different by a pound.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Sounds like you need to disable that screen on your instrument display. :cwl:

Ford Bronco Sport How accurate is the onboard TMPS PSI readout? annoying-photos-ocd-611__605

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I haven’t seen the accuracy specs for Ford’s TPMS Sensors used on the Bronco Sport but you probably can check the specs for your handheld gauges, and the compressors gauge - perhaps these are +/- 2% or whatever and the TPMS Sensors might be accurate to within +/- 1 psi so the readings you are seeing are close enough. There is also the possibility of rounding errors in Ford’s software for FordPass App Vs. what is displayed on the instrument cluster. And there are the different update rates the instrument cluster psi readings and the FordPass App get updated (updates are at different rates). The readings are all “close enough for government work”.

Last edited:

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I have a compressor in my garage, and a nice accurate digital gage. About once a month I check my tires with that and don't even look at the dash gage. Cars did fine without TPMS systems for years so I can do fine without checking it now ! I always let the car sit overnight so the tires are cold when I check the pressure.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
Checked when i got home from the dealer and my tires were inflated to 42 psi at the time of delivery. I broke out the tire gauge, adjusted pressures to the numbers on the door and all the fancy electronics (in car and app) tie out with my pressure gauge.... Well, as close as i can tell with the analog, dial-type gauge. They seem to be holding pretty well too.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
I have a compressor in my garage, and a nice accurate digital gage. About once a month I check my tires with that and don't even look at the dash gage. Cars did fine without TPMS systems for years so I can do fine without checking it now ! I always let the car sit overnight so the tires are cold when I check the pressure.
I think the TPMS is a great tool for alerting the driver to sudden and significant drops in tire pressure. That’s pretty much my only expectation of the TPMS system.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
I think the TPMS is a great tool for alerting the driver to sudden and significant drops in tire pressure. That’s pretty much my only expectation of the TPMS system.
I haven’t seen the accuracy specs for Ford’s TPMS Sensors used on the Bronco Sport but you probably can check the specs for your handheld gauges, and the compressors gauge - perhaps these are +/- 2% or whatever and the TPMS Sensors might be accurate to within +/- 1 psi so the readings you are seeing are close enough. There is also the possibility of rounding errors in Ford’s software for FordPass App Vs. what is displayed on the instrument cluster. And there are the different update rates the instrument cluster psi readings and the FordPass App get updated (updates are at different rates). The readings are all “close enough for government work”.

This is the intent.

However, mine are pretty damn accurate at the moment. they can be reset. I’ll wait for someone else to chime in tell us how.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
As the weather gets cooler, it's a good idea to check your tire pressure frequently since tire pressure drops significantly as the thermometer does the same.
I also check mine after every "The Works" service at the dealership. Usually, they don't even check the pressure, or if they do, my Escapes' 35psi tires are all over the place from 30 to 37.
I took it in once for "The Works," knowing the tires were low, and after the service all 4 tires were still low. I don't believe that this dealership did any of the supposed safety checks included with "The Works."

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Mine is pretty accurate. I deflated them from the 40 psi to 32.5 on a good analog gauge that allows me to deflate and watch the pressure drop. Display reads 32. Someone mentioned a stick or pencil gauge. Toss those things and get a good analog or digital.

Last edited:

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I get the same kind of results with the tires on my Grand Cherokee. I do not think the TPMs are perfectly accurate but are a good way to see if you have a slow leak and need to attend to it. If the tires are within a couple psi then all is good.

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Ford Bronco Sport How accurate is the onboard TMPS PSI readout? IMG_2221

:ontheloo:
Sponsored