Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Why not Minot, Freezings the Reason. 82,83 loved that base.
SR-71 Crew swap, In and out like the Firefox, Clint Eastwood’s Bird/Movie,
Windchills in the -95 degree range for a week,
The Moose Incident,
F-5 Tornado along side the Alert Birds,
Snowed in at a Remote LCF for the weekend, Great food there.
The Jacalopes,
A woman behind ever tree LoL,
So flat you can stand on the hood of your truck and see the back of your own head.

We sat for a week at a time on alert, ready to start engines and skedaddle should the Russkies start shooting nukes. Our flightcrew of four (pilot, copilot, navigator, boom operator) lived together in the alert facility, located near the end of the runway. We had alert vehicles--mid-'70s Dodge four-door pickups--we used to drive to the gym, base exchange, etc. Coming back from a trip to the BX one day the copilot was driving. He saw a jackrabbit sitting in the grass near the road. No one else around, he decides to give chase. Yeah, the tundra looks a lot smoother than it is...

My favorite fun fact about Minot: The aircraft ramp was manned (flight crews, maintenance folk, security, etc.) until the temperature decreased below -60F. -59F, perfectly safe. -60F deadly dangerous; close the ramp!
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
These used were over the place in Grand Forks, and Minot, ND when I was serving in the USAF. We used to call them nuclear-hardened shrubbery.

Ford Bronco Sport Hood Insulation fairbanks-carplugs-5934-890
Used along with horse blankets! My father worked for Autolite at the time and the Dakota's and Minnesota were his territory. He could tell some cold stories too!

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
So flat you can stand on the hood of your truck and see the back of your own head.

We sat for a week at a time on alert, ready to start engines and skedaddle should the Russkies start shooting nukes. Our flightcrew of four (pilot, copilot, navigator, boom operator) lived together in the alert facility, located near the end of the runway. We had alert vehicles--mid-'70s Dodge four-door pickups--we used to drive to the gym, base exchange, etc. Coming back from a trip to the BX one day the copilot was driving. He saw a jackrabbit sitting in the grass near the road. No one else around, he decides to give chase. Yeah, the tundra looks a lot smoother than it is...

My favorite fun fact about Minot: The aircraft ramp was manned (flight crews, maintenance folk, security, etc.) until the temperature decreased below -60F. -59F, perfectly safe. -60F deadly dangerous; close the ramp!
Roger that !

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
Would hood insulation change the warm-up time on the engine? Probably a little but not enough for you to notice the difference. I’m guessing the base model does not have heated seats. That is something I kind of insist on and I will finally have a heated steering wheel when my BS arrives. Luxuries for sure but so nice to have when it is in the teens and lower. The block heater is a good idea that would be a lot more effective than the insulation. Also garage parking, if you’ve got it, will also help.
The heated steering wheel is my favorite feature. A game changer for me on all but the warmest days.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
We didn't live far north enough to need an engine block heater, but we would start the cars at night, let them run for 10-15 minutes, turn them off and then put a blanket over the engine to keep it insulated until early morning. Car defrosters didn't work very well either. Modern vehicle technology is really nice.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
We didn't live far north enough to need an engine block heater, but we would start the cars at night, let them run for 10-15 minutes, turn them off and then put a blanket over the engine to keep it insulated until early morning. Car defrosters didn't work very well either. Modern vehicle technology is really nice.
Ford Bronco Sport Hood Insulation 1652406068596

OP
OP
Osco

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My wife has them in her car. First time she turned them on without telling me, I thought I had peed in my pants. 😳
I believe ya brother.
I spent several winters in deep cold, plugged in cars, vinyls seats and all that.
Not once did I wish for heated seats.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I believe ya brother.
I spent several winters in deep cold, plugged in cars, vinyls seats and all that.
Count me in the other camp. I have had heated seats in my vehicles since 2003. I even have heated seats on my motorcycle. The motorcycle has heated grips and now my BS will have a heated steering wheel. I have been wanting a heated steering wheel since about 2001 when I had a loaner Audi A6 that had it in the middle of MI winter.

The first vehicle to have them was a MINI Cooper S in '03 and that had 2 settings, bun warmer & nut roaster. Since then the VWs have had 3 settings that seem to be more appropriate. The heated seats I installed in my motorcycle seem to follow the MINI's philosophy.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I didn't know I needed heated seats and steering wheel until I had them. Now I don't leave home without them.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
Ok so, I got a first run Base model back in December 2020
With the beloved Engine cover.
If I Added the hood Insulation would that help my motor warm up faster in the winter, My winters only drop into the teens.
I could care less about sound deadening as even now I have to listen to hear this little mill work.
It’s just so slow to get the water temp gage moving.
Ok so I’m a wussy, I remote start for ten or fifteen minutes and then I drive a mile sometimes two before the heater starts warming up the cabin.
I don't think the hood insulation would help the engine warm up any faster, but would help keep the heat in the engine compartment for subsequent starts during the day.

brianloch1974

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Ugh now in addition to cardboard on grills I’m remembering when cars had multiple electrical cords sticking out of the grill. Block heater, interior heater, and yes battery blanket.

At this rate is anybody old enough to remember (even I only vaguely remember them as a kid) those stick on things you’d put on your car side windows to keep them defrosted? They basically I guess made a section of the glass double pane. I can’t even find a pic of one now.

Now this thread just has me 🥶 thinking about it! Love modern cars with their effective heat/defrost systems, heated seats, heck heated steering wheel is like something from a whole other world now
These also! LOL

Ford Bronco Sport Hood Insulation whistle for deer lol

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Oh wow man that is going back now! I’m assuming you can still buy them, though I can’t recall the last time I saw a car with then pasted to the front bumper.
Yep, gotta love those deer whistles........ gotta em on mine 🦒