Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Has anyone tried to use the hook-clips in the rear cargo area to make a cover?

I put together the following (very crude) drawing of something that I think will work with some further engineering from the group. Essentially, use a thick canvas rectangle, put a grommet in each corner and suspend it between the hooks using stretch type cords with removable hooks. This could be easily put up, and taken down, within seconds and keep prying eyes from seeing what is in your cargo space.

Any help bringing this idea further with suggestions, materials, construction techniques, would be great. (Please also pardon me if this idea has already been posted.)

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 7D7A32FC-93C2-4692-AE9A-FF8C8982F68D
Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 5DCE8290-7190-4D89-A615-5B5E3EDEBC90
Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 5C23C97D-8A72-4C8A-8D88-79435A2AD9DF
Sponsored

ClineDesign

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OBX, 99 Chevy Silverado 2500, CT90
We put this together using bungie cords sewn into the cover. On the seat side we just tucked it into the seat back on our OBX, we tried velcro but it wasn't strong enough. I like to think of it as a temporary fix.

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea tempImagewtupj2

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea tempImagejIZ7O3

The Outer Banks have this cover on the rear seat backs that we tucked the material into.

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 2021-ford-bronco-sport-outer-banks_100782162_m

I'm hoping someone with a 3D printer comes up with screw-in connectors that we can use on an existing rollup cover. #challenge

Last edited:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I haven't had a need to pursue it, but prior to purchase I considered adding a fabric cover at the top, using the window sills. I think it would be easy to drill and pop-rivit some button snaps or thread in Tenax studs to hold the cover. Then you need a piece of fabric and put the other part of the fastener in the appropriate place. I may still do it someday, but like I said, I haven't felt the pressure to do it. Between the Badland dark windows, tinted further, and the black Instacrates It's nearly impossible to see anything in there.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
In our all black interior Explorer we just use an old black tablecloth. With the tinted windows, things in the back disappear. I would imagine the same of the Bronco Sport with tint.

TnyM

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 Chevy c10, '22 Bronco Sport BL

I put together the following (very crude) drawing of something that I think will work with some further engineering from the group. Essentially, use a thick canvas rectangle, put a grommet in each corner and suspend it between the hooks using stretch type cords with removable hooks. This could be easily put up, and taken down, within seconds and keep prying eyes from seeing what is in your cargo space.

Any help bringing this idea further with suggestions, materials, construction techniques, would be great. (Please also pardon me if this idea has already been posted.)

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 7D7A32FC-93C2-4692-AE9A-FF8C8982F68D
Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 5DCE8290-7190-4D89-A615-5B5E3EDEBC90
Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 5C23C97D-8A72-4C8A-8D88-79435A2AD9DF
WOW! The last week I've been trying to come up with a concept like this myself! Amazing. I don't have my Bronco yet... So I haven't been able to take measurements, but it looks like you're on the right track.

That being said.. I have a few sample swatches of different materials coming in the mail.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
We put this together using bungie cords sewn into the cover. On the seat side we just tucked it into the seat back on our OBX, we tried velcro but it wasn't strong enough. I like to think of it as a temporary fix.

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea tempImagewtupj2

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea tempImagejIZ7O3

The Outer Banks have this cover on the rear seat backs that we tucked the material into.

Ford Bronco Sport Home Brew Cargo Cover Idea 2021-ford-bronco-sport-outer-banks_100782162_m

I'm hoping someone with a 3D printer comes up with screw-in connectors that we can use on an existing rollup cover. #challenge
I've got the cargo mgmt system but I have some thoughts on a cargo cover.
Yours looks good, one addition to suggest;
Sew in a dowel rod along the front edge and use elastic loops sewn into the cover and hook them over the back seat headrests. Leave one end open so you can remove the rod of you need to.

OP
OP

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
WOW! The last week I've been trying to come up with a concept like this myself! Amazing. I don't have my Bronco yet... So I haven't been able to take measurements, but it looks like you're on the right track.

That being said.. I have a few sample swatches of different materials coming in the mail.
I have a Base model without window tinting. I've thought about tinting....however all I keep thinking about is how many car's aftermarket tinting bubble after a few years.

I'm going to prototype this design this weekend...probably go to Home Depot and just get a canvas painters drop cloth, cut it to size, install the grommets, get some real small 'stretchies' and see how it looks.

I'm figuring <$15 in parts.

OP
OP

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a Base model without window tinting. I've thought about tinting....however all I keep thinking about is how many car's aftermarket tinting bubble after a few years.

I'm going to prototype this design this weekend...probably go to Home Depot and just get a canvas painters drop cloth, cut it to size, install the grommets, get some real small 'stretchies' and see how it looks.

Just a post script...it was kinda funny how I got my BS....I have been calling around to dealerships since February; couldn't find any that were not spoken for or the dealer wanted to "market adjust" it +$5K. In September, I was on the phone with a dealer about 30 miles away asking about stock. He said that they had one, but they were putting a lift kit on it and offered it to me...I declined...didn't want it modified. I left him my name and number.

About a half hour later, the salesman called and said "Listen, I'm not bullshitting you....but when we spoke we only had one. A carrier just pulled onto our lot and there is a Base model in gun metal grey on it, and the vehicle is not spoken for. He said that it wasn't expected, and simply showed up as an allocated vehicle. I asked that he hold it for a half hour so I could get up there...I paid MSRP, no "market adjustment".

Comparatively speaking with value for the dollar, I'm quite impressed with how much the Base has in it compared to other trims....however I really was hoping for a Badlands.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw

Having done a fair amount of sewing in my life, I have one suggestion. Make sure to finish the cut edges in some manner in order to prevent them from unraveling. Could be as simple as putting some glue on them or if u have access to a sewing machine, binding the edges with a zigzag stitch. Just my two cents.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw

Another thought, what about ponytail elastics for the small 'stretchies'?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I got a regular old furnature pad/blanket. I fold it to the size I need, drape it over my junk,
X-cross two bungies over it and I’m done. No sewing.
It’s versatile and big enough to cover everything if I put my back seats down.
Easily covers everything behind the front seat backs..
Plus I got a blanket in the car, winter survival gear ya know.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Our 99 Explorer Sport has a cargo cover that clips into the plastic interior quarter panels & you can pull it out to cover whatever is in the back. I am suprised the bronco Sport does not have one.

hkhart

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I bought a Rubbermaid tote from Lowes to keep extra stuff in such a winter supplies, emergency kit, grocery bags and have it connected by bungee cord. I also did limo tint.

TnyM

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 Chevy c10, '22 Bronco Sport BL

Do you have the dims between the clips?

Or can someone on the forums get me the dims between the clips? (I don't have my BS yet)

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm trying to figure out a tray system to fit in the back and then just setting the plastic mat on top the trays. That way you have out of sight storage and at the same time have useable space on top of the plastic mat but only losing about 6 inches of verticle space. I might actually have to make this thing out of 2x4's I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Sponsored