SondraBurnsRed

Outer Banks
First Name
Sondra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Is anyone else struggling with their gas mileage? The best I do is 21mpg, right now I'm between 19 and 20mpg. I was under the impression that I should be getting 25 city and 28+ highway. I drive normal and not like a jack ass, i keep rpms at about 1.5 while cruising. I've tried the eco mode and that doesn't seem to do anything. Am I missing something? I have falken wild peaks, but even with the stock tires I still averaged crap mpg.
Sponsored

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Is anyone else struggling with their gas mileage? The best I do is 21mpg, right now I'm between 19 and 20mpg. I was under the impression that I should be getting 25 city and 28+ highway. I drive normal and not like a jack ass, i keep rpms at about 1.5 while cruising. I've tried the eco mode and that doesn't seem to do anything. Am I missing something? I have falken wild peaks, but even with the stock tires I still averaged crap mpg.
I have 3000 miles on my OB and as soon as I increased my tire pressure to 38 Front 40 rear my mileage went from 22 to 25. I also switched to Full synthetic oil. Oh and Thats with 245/60-18 BFG Trail-Terrain tires.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
My wife is on her first trip with her '23 BL. Curious to see what her mileage will be. Returning Sunday. 1,500 miles.

I've done essentially the same trip twice in my '22 FE Ti. 33 and 32 mpg. That's significantly better than the mileage for the trip in my '14 FE Ti with the previous 2.0. Also 8-speed transmission in the '22. 6 in the '14.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
With only 750 miles on the clock I’m getting an average of 34 mpg hand calculated. Most of what we drive is 55 to 70 mph roads. Not many stoplights or stop signs.

Tires are stock but I run 36 psi in them.

I know it’s not many miles, but I seem to have a driving style that lends itself to good mileage. My 2013 fusion hybrid with 129,000 miles has a life time average mpg of 53.7. It was as high as 54.1 but the battery is aging so it’s dropped a bit. With a tailwind my one way mileage on the 26.7 mile trip to work has been as high as 73 mpg.

Not too bad for a car Ford de-rated the mpg from 52 to 47 and sent folks who bought the 2013 hybrid model a 750 buck check.

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Gotta be the slightly added weight of those tires. Right out of the dealership to a next two days of driving, we are averaging in the high 20's to low 30's, depending on highway/city driving.

Last edited:

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
I'm surprised at the mileage ours is getting. Took a 4 hour trip and averaged 24 mpg. I would get that in my Town car with the 4.6 in it. lol. Thought it would be better than that. Did not use eco mode though, maybe next time I'll try that.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have about 350 miles and getting about 21. I was at 22 for a while though.

The manual said it won't be accurate until 2-3k miles have been driven. I've also just been driving in town... about 10 minutes to work with 30 mph speed limit and maybe 6 stop signs. Not really ideal.

I'm going out of town today so I'll see what I can get on the highway. I may reset it when I start to get a good number. I'm also not tracking manually, just whatever is on the screen.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is anyone else struggling with their gas mileage? The best I do is 21mpg, right now I'm between 19 and 20mpg.
Have you owned your car through all four seasons yet? Winters in Pittsburg are pretty cold, and if you make a lot of short trips you will be driving with a cold engine most of the time. The powertrain control module (PCM) increases the amount of fuel going to the engine when it's cold to heat up the catalytic converter as rapidly as possible because it doesn't remove pollutants until it's up to operating temperature. This isn't as much of a problem in the summer because the engine warms up much faster.

OP
OP
SondraBurnsRed

SondraBurnsRed

Outer Banks
First Name
Sondra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Have you owned your car through all four seasons yet? Winters in Pittsburg are pretty cold, and if you make a lot of short trips you will be driving with a cold engine most of the time. The powertrain control module (PCM) increases the amount of fuel going to the engine when it's cold to heat up the catalytic converter as rapidly as possible because it doesn't remove pollutants until it's up to operating temperature. This isn't as much of a problem in the summer because the engine warms up much faster.
Yes, I live in Pittsburgh, and my OBX is a 2021, I'm the only owner. I haven't noticed much of a difference through out the seasons. I drive an Elantra as well and I average about 32 mpg with that. My driving habits are good, I drive for a living and have been for the last 5 years. I just see all these people getting good mpg and mine sucks and has been since I bought the car.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Yes, I live in Pittsburgh, and my OBX is a 2021, I'm the only owner. I haven't noticed much of a difference through out the seasons. I drive an Elantra as well and I average about 32 mpg with that. My driving habits are good, I drive for a living and have been for the last 5 years. I just see all these people getting good mpg and mine sucks and has been since I bought the car.
The only other factor I can think that might have that dramatic an effect on your fuel economy is weight. Do you carry a lot of gear in your car?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Do you have a cargo carrier on the roof?

OP
OP
SondraBurnsRed

SondraBurnsRed

Outer Banks
First Name
Sondra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Do you have a cargo carrier on the roof?
I do, a low profile one. But I put that on a few months after I bought it when we did some traveling. Even before that it sucked butts.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
My 2022 Big Bend has averaged between 26-28 mpg since new. Here's a screen shot of the current reading.
Ford Bronco Sport Gas mileage? 20230413_104039
Mostly local driving on roads with speed limits between 35 and 55. Calculated mpg generally within a mile per gal, low side.

Last edited: