Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
There was a recall and they fixed it. I don't know what more to tell you.
Maybe they fixed the FDM recall since at least those parts are now available.
Sponsored

PapaHotel

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer 2019 Ecosport
I swung by my local Ford dealer to see what the colors of the new cars looked like in the flesh instead of online. I saw 4 Ford Escapes sitting there with recall-hold placards in the windshield. Bummer for the buyers for sure.

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
I just checked on my bronco sport, bought it in February of 2021 and it has no current recalls. It’s a big bend with big bend package, so not all sports are affected.

Rkers

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I received a notice on Ford Pass regarding the brake pad recall; it says "front brake pads".

Haven't received my official letter...I wonder if it will say Front, or Back, brakes? LOL.

Ford Bronco Sport Front or Rear Brakes Recall? E8DDF627-1716-44A2-9A76-D2D85DB93D52
I guess for once the early builds aren't the ones with all the recalls. My BS was built in Nov 20 and so far zero recalls or warranty issues. Now I jinxed myself ?

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What’s the difference between 2021s and 2022s in this regard? What are they doing differently for the 2022s that they didn’t do for the 2021s that led to the recall, and why can’t they just replicate that?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What’s the difference between 2021s and 2022s in this regard? What are they doing differently for the 2022s that they didn’t do for the 2021s that led to the recall, and why can’t they just replicate that?
There is so much information/misinformation floating around the interwebs about this issue there is no way to answer this question without speculation. The heart of the issue as I understand it is Ford's decision to stop installing vacuum sensors on cars with vacuum boosters. The sensors notified the computer in the event of a vacuum failure which meant the booster would be inop. (If you've ever tried to use the brakes in a car with a vacuum booster while the engine is off you know you have to step on the pedal very hard to get them to work.) Once notified the vacuum booster is inop the computer would then enlist the ABS module to provide additional pressure to the brake hydraulic system to aid in stopping the car. The recall applies to vehicles that do not have the required vacuum sensor. Without it, the computer is never notified the vacuum booster is inop, meaning the ABS system is never enlisted, and braking distance is increased.

If I had to guess, I would say Ford stopped installing the sensors when they became unavailable due to the supply chain problems. Now that it knows cars without the sensor do not meet NHTSA standards for stopping distance with a failed brake booster it has found another source for the sensors, it has found another way to notify the computer when the booster is inop, or it is using brake pads with higher friction so the car will stop shorter despite the lower hydraulic pressure when the booster is inop.

Last edited:

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Interesting development. The FordPass app, the NHTSA site, and the Ford website are no longer showing a recall for my VIN.

Anyone else?

Sbrink

Outer Banks
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport outer banks
Interesting development. The FordPass app, the NHTSA site, and the Ford website are no longer showing a recall for my VIN.

Anyone else?
Mine is no longer showing any recalls! Going to go get it off the dealers lot while I still can!

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just called the dealer and they will let me pick up my 2021 Big Bend tomorrow morning. Funny how that recall just disappeared.
Did they give an explanation? This seems really strange. Wonder if it’s some kind of database error, or if Ford reasoned with the NHTSA to allow the remaining 2021s to be taken off the lots since they didn’t issue a stop driving notice. Or if they just said “screw it we don’t know how to fix this”.

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Did they give an explanation? This seems really strange. Wonder if it’s some kind of database error, or if Ford reasoned with the NHTSA to allow the remaining 2021s to be taken off the lots since they didn’t issue a stop driving notice. Or if they just said “screw it we don’t know how to fix this”.
Same thing happened with the 2021 FDM recall last year. A lot of them were repaired at the factory but never entered into the computer. A month later recalls just started vanishing out of the computer systems. A message was sent to dealerships about the computer glitch and some got their vehicles delivered just before the brake recall hit.

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same thing happened with the 2021 FDM recall last year. A lot of them were repaired at the factory but never entered into the computer. A month later recalls just started vanishing out of the computer systems. A message was sent to dealerships about the computer glitch and some got their vehicles delivered just before the brake recall hit.
Interesting. I wonder if the recall is still showing for those whose units shipped before November.

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There is so much information/misinformation floating around the interwebs about this issue there is no way to answer this question without speculation. The heart of the issue as I understand it is Ford's decision to stop installing vacuum sensors on cars with vacuum boosters. The sensors notified the computer in the event of a vacuum failure which meant the booster would be inop. (If you've ever tried to use the brakes in a car with a vacuum booster while the engine is off you know you have to step on the pedal very hard to get them to work.) Once notified the vacuum booster is inop the computer would then enlist the ABS module to provide additional pressure to the brake hydraulic system to aid in stopping the car. The recall applies to vehicles that do not have the required vacuum sensor. Without it, the computer is never notified the vacuum booster is inop, meaning the ABS system is never enlisted, and braking distance is increased.

If I had to guess, I would say Ford stopped installing the sensors when they became unavailable due to the supply chain problems. Now that it knows cars without the sensor do not meet NHTSA standards for stopping distance with a failed brake booster it has found another source for the sensors, it has found another way to notify the computer when the booster is inop, or it is using brake pads with higher friction so the car will stop shorter despite the lower hydraulic pressure when the booster is inop.
Good post.
Does anyone know why 2022's built after the Nov date apparently do not have the problem?
> Did a supply of sensors arrive?
> Do 2022's have different rear brake pads?
> Was a workaround found for the missing sensor giving pressure info to the computer?
My 2022 is on a railcar somewhere near Chicago.

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hmmm.. I still have the recall on my FP. Plus I recieved the letter in the mail. The letter did not state "Front brakes". Nhtsa states rear. FP still saying front. Pretty sure nhtsa has it right since they issued the complaint/recall. Who knows.
Sponsored