'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
they report the 2.0L takes 6.5 seconds to get to 60. I’m cool with that. My 08 Tahoe was 8.9 seconds and it felt on the powerful side for an suv. Although I fit a queen size mattress in the back once and another time a large washer and dryer, the large size wasn’t necessary 99.9% of the time. Bronco sport is a nice downsize and a nice upgrade just about everywhere
Over the next few years, I'm going to miss the cavernous cargo space of the Honda Pilot 2 or 3 times. I'm OK with that.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
My test drive of the Outer Banks confirmed what I already suspected from the numbers, that the 1.5L is sufficiently powered. Another concern was any harmonics, boominess, or other oddities as reported by Escape owners. I didn't find anything that I couldn't live with, and it seemed on-par with normal Japanese 4-cylinder engines. So, I'm willing to give the 3-cylinder a try.

The 1.5L has a timing belt that runs in the engines crankcase engine oil, as opposed to traditional timing belts running dry.
The jury's out on the wet timing belt, only time will tell if it becomes problematic.
There was a time (1980's) when everyone thought timing belts were superior to timing chains just because the Japanese were doing it. The promise was that they were lighter, quieter, lower friction, the greatest. Over time, and due to reliability issues, most engines migrated to timing chains for durability, especially important in interference engines, which most modern overhead cam engines are.
Hopefully, these "wet timing belts" will prove reliable and all the material science has been worked out as oil has traditionally been an enemy of belts.

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Two questions - Does the 2.0 have a timing chain rather than a belt like the 1.5? And I understand that whether or not the engines are "non-interference" makes a great difference if the belt/chain fails - that the non-interference engines will suffer much less damage. Are the 1.5 & 2.0 engines non-interference?

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Two questions - Does the 2.0 have a timing chain rather than a belt like the 1.5? And I understand that whether or not the engines are "non-interference" makes a great difference if the belt/chain fails - that the non-interference engines will suffer much less damage. Are the 1.5 & 2.0 engines non-interference?
Both are interference engines. Most modern engines are.

The 2.0L utilizes a timing chain. Not a maintenance issue and will last the life of the engine.

The 1.5L utilizes a timing belt (in oil) with a 150,000 mile service life (per Ford).

No one has mentioned the cost for the 1.5's belt replacement. It will cost more than replacing a dry timing belt, at least that is the case in Europe, where Ford has used these previously.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Coming from a Flex with the 3.5 ecoboost, I suppose the 1.5 would disappoint me?
I came from a '17 Ford F-150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost and the 1.5L in my BS has not disappointed me. For one, the BS is lighter than the truck, so requires less "oomph" to get it moving. The BS is at least 1,000 lbs. ligther than both the Flex and F-150.

I think it is sufficiently powered.

Mgboyd

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Coming from a Flex with the 3.5 ecoboost, I suppose the 1.5 would disappoint me?
My wife drives a 2019 Flex 3.5 ecoboost AWD and I just got an Outer Banks. The Flex is more responsive, but I am not disappointed in the Bronco especially the improved gas mileage. I think it is a good tradeoff. If you have a lead foot and drag race everyone, you will be disappointed in the lower performance. Now if I could just get my wife to quit taking the Bronco Sport to work. She likes driving it too much :)

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
My wife drives a 2019 Flex 3.5 ecoboost AWD and I just got an Outer Banks. The Flex is more responsive, but I am not disappointed in the Bronco especially the improved gas mileage. I think it is a good tradeoff. If you have a lead foot and drag race everyone, you will be disappointed in the lower performance. Now if I could just get my wife to quit taking the Bronco Sport to work. She likes driving it too much :)
Maybe with the 1.5L --- I haven't driven one so I can't really say, but the 2.0L is not slow at all, especially in sport mode. If you need even more acceleration than the 2.0L offers in a compact SUV, you are probably cross-shopping for something in a completely different price bracket at that point.

I think I saw the 2.0L Bronco Sport ran 0-60 in 6.3 seconds somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Here is a link to the other thread where this was discussed.

Edit #2: Once I looked more at that source, it looks like an estimated time, not an actual timed run.

Edit #3: Here is an article saying 6.5 seconds 0-60 for a Badlands (2.0L), though it's buried in the middle of it. It's a nice OB review otherwise, but doesn't really mention where they got that data from or if they did a separate review of a Badlands model.

Last edited:

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
For those with a 2.0 litre how is the engine sound in the first couple of gears? I’ve noticed that when cold mine is quite buzzy and louder than expected. The noise settles down once it gets up to speed.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
For those with a 2.0 litre how is the engine sound in the first couple of gears? I’ve noticed that when cold mine is quite buzzy and louder than expected. The noise settles down once it gets up to speed.
There is artificial engine rumble added through the sound system in the 2.0L models -- maybe a greater amount in Sport mode. I have not pinpointed it to the sound system with my own ears -- but the sound is "suspicious" to my ears.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The BS BL+BL only weighs 138 lbs. more than my VW 2.0LT at 200 hp and 200 torque, and that car's pretty quick. 250 hp and 277 (280?) torque, 4WD, and 3.80 final drive gives it a run for its money. Aerodynamics being its true Achilles' heel. Depending upon weight, tune, setup, etc., going up against a 3.5L six may or may not be a "fair" contest -- but sometimes.
Sponsored

Last edited: