Flaky CarPlay Connection

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
For a month or so I've been unable to use CarPlay with my iPhone 12 because the connection is very intermittent. Charging is flaky as well.

I believe the issue is with the Bronco's electronics. I have tried 5 different cables including using both the USB and USB-C connections on the dash. Both my and my wife's iPhones have the same issue. When I connect my phone to the Pioneer head unit in my Transit, CarPlay works flawlessly. Yes, I've picked the lint out of my phone's lightning connector as well.

Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Have you tried a system and/or master reset?

I am having a weird Android Auto issue in my Escape. The Ford audio turns on sometimes when the vehicle switches to AA. My wife doesn't have the issue in her BS BL.

I tried a system reset, and the issue is still there.

Mentioned it to my dealer on Saturday, and they suggested I try a master reset. Undo the battery ground for a half hour. Haven't tried it yet.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I've had this issue twice. I did a reset on the head unit (power and next buttons, I think). It works fine after that, at least for a few weeks. I'm not sure if there's an update or not. Maybe that would help.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
For a month or so I've been unable to use CarPlay with my iPhone 12 because the connection is very intermittent. Charging is flaky as well.

I believe the issue is with the Bronco's electronics. I have tried 5 different cables including using both the USB and USB-C connections on the dash. Both my and my wife's iPhones have the same issue. When I connect my phone to the Pioneer head unit in my Transit, CarPlay works flawlessly. Yes, I've picked the lint out of my phone's lightning connector as well.

Anyone else experience this?
Havenā€™t experienced that but 5 different cables including USB-C (which is what I use) and 2 different iPhones and even charging is flaky sure sounds like the USB Module or the cables that connect to that Module is bad - others have reported getting the dealership to replace solved their issues with their phone.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Iā€™ve experienced similar issues. For months it worked flawlessly but Iā€™ve been having trouble lately as well. Iā€˜ll add that Iā€™ve had issues will all the vehicles.
21 Silverado, 22 Expedition & and a Toyota Highlander (rental).

not connecting
connect but no play
connect in the morning but wonā€™t reconnect later
charging but no connect
not charging
BT connects to carplay on some vehicle, sometimes

same as you Iā€™ve swapped cables, USB, USB-C
different charge points
different phones

then came the resets. Phones and vehicles systems

Im on to the phones right now. Allowed apps, privacy settings ā€¦..etc. I was in the Chevy last night and it worked. Iā€™m going to spend some time in the Bronco Sport today and see what happens.

I feel, right now, that itā€™s was a phone update or something weā€™ve done with the devices thatā€™s causing the inconsistencies.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel, right now, that itā€™s was a phone update or something weā€™ve done with the devices thatā€™s causing the inconsistencies.
Thatā€™s possible but then seems like thousands of Owners would be having the same issue or just that you are unlucky to have selected a phone update or selected specific phone settings that caused all the situations you described.

I cannot comment on all your experiences of many vehicles, phones and cables but I suggest you try this Apple MFi Certified cable:

Actually you didnā€™t state if your phones are androids or iPhones so my response is geared to iPhones only!!

3 Pack Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Charger Cable,[Apple MFi Certified] USB C to Lightning Cable, Type C iPhone Fast Charger for Apple iPhone 13 12 Pro max 11 Pro XR XS Max X 8 Plus iPad AirPods Pro - 3ft https://a.co/d/fAyBZyX

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
We've been using Android Auto with SYNC 3-equipped vehicles for nearly seven years now. Connection issues occasionally pop up. We've found the quickest way to fix seemingly intractable connection issues with AA and SYNC is to first, use the highest quality cable, and second, perform a master reset SYNC and ALSO a complete wipe and reinstall of AA on the phone.

To wipe/reinstall AA on your phone:
  1. Go to Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Storage.
  2. Touch "Clear cache" AND "Clear data."
  3. Touch "Disable."
  4. You may be asked if you want to delete the latest updates for the app: Yes you do.
  5. Clear the cache partition on your phone (different phones require different procedures; search Google to find yours), then restart it.
  6. Reinstall Android Auto, make sure you get all the updates, then reconnect to SYNC.
This has fixed every connection issue we've ever experienced with AA and SYNC. I don't know specifically how IOS works, but I suspect there is a similar procedure to fully delete an app and all of the associated data and settings it installs on your phone. Google is your friend here.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Thatā€™s possible but then seems like thousands of Owners would be having the same issue or just that you are unlucky to have selected a phone update or selected specific phone settings that caused all the situations you described.

I cannot comment on all your experiences of many vehicles, phones and cables but I suggest you try this Apple MFi Certified cable:

Actually you didnā€™t state if your phones are androids or iPhones so my response is geared to iPhones only!!

3 Pack Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Charger Cable,[Apple MFi Certified] USB C to Lightning Cable, Type C iPhone Fast Charger for Apple iPhone 13 12 Pro max 11 Pro XR XS Max X 8 Plus iPad AirPods Pro - 3ft https://a.co/d/fAyBZyX
both

i will concede that apple has had more issues

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
both
i will concede that apple has had more issues
My iPhone 13 Pro with up-to-date IOS, the latest Sync Build version installed on the Bronco Sport, a good Apple MFi Certified USB-C to Lightning cable (and a case that doesnā€™t interfere with the cable, as well as a clean iPhone Lightning port) in the span of 14 months has had a couple disconnects while using CarPlay that only required unplugging and plugging the iPhone cable back in to correct.

CarPlay to Sync interface is not robust. Even a tiny millisecond or less glitch will cause disconnects. It is what it is.

I read that Android Auto has a more robust interface with Sync but AA has many more software issues (thus Mark S extensive reply in his AA experience).

I have also used my iPhone in dozens of rental cars with not one issue using CarPlay.

I have done extensive reading on CarPlay and AA to Sync 3.4 and unfortunately havenā€™t read anything yet that explains the extensive issues you are having with multiple phones, vehicles and cables.

I hope you find a workable solution.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve experienced similar issues. For months it worked flawlessly but Iā€™ve been having trouble lately as well. Iā€˜ll add that Iā€™ve had issues will all the vehicles.
21 Silverado, 22 Expedition & and a Toyota Highlander (rental).

not connecting
connect but no play
connect in the morning but wonā€™t reconnect later
charging but no connect
not charging
BT connects to carplay on some vehicle, sometimes

same as you Iā€™ve swapped cables, USB, USB-C
different charge points
different phones

then came the resets. Phones and vehicles systems

Im on to the phones right now. Allowed apps, privacy settings ā€¦..etc. I was in the Chevy last night and it worked. Iā€™m going to spend some time in the Bronco Sport today and see what happens.

@BravoAlpha .. some of this is duplicate info from what @Mark S. posted for Android but there is some new info here:

Android Auto issues with Bluetooth
Obvious things to try first..
1. Update Android software and Android Auto App to latest versions. Update SYNC software to latest version.
2. Purchase a high quality certified cable (or switch to Wireless like the Motorola MA-1).
3. Try a different Android phone with AA.

4. Unpair SYNC from the phone.
5. Clear the Android Auto cache and storage.
6. Perform a Master Reset on SYNC.
This will ensure that all data relating to SYNC is deleted from your phone and all data related to your phone is deleted from SYNC. Following the above, re-pair your phone with SYNC.

Android Auto with Google Maps glitch #1:
Tries to use the vehicleā€™s WiFi even if you don't have hotspot enabled. Solution: change maps/phone settings to Turn OFF Data Saver for Maps even when connected then no pauses or disconnects will occur. Even if your Data Saver is turned off, you have to allow Maps.

Android Auto with Google Maps glitch #2:
Google Maps in satellite mode can cause Google Maps to freeze when navigation is enabled on Android Auto. Disabling satellite view prevents the freeze.

Android Auto with Google Maps glitch #3:
https://9to5google.com/2023/03/13/android-auto-gps/

If none of the obvious things work itā€™s probably time to schedule a dealership visit. There could be hardware issues like with the USB Port etc.

OP
OP

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the master reset. No luck. Will need to get it fixed before the warranty expires in 3500 miles.

ML3Z-19A387-D appears to be the part number for the USB "Module Interface". If I had some assurance that this part was bad, I'd rather spend the $70 and replace it myself and save the hassle of going to the dealer.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I did the master reset. No luck. Will need to get it fixed before the warranty expires in 3500 miles.

ML3Z-19A387-D appears to be the part number for the USB "Module Interface". If I had some assurance that this part was bad, I'd rather spend the $70 and replace it myself and save the hassle of going to the dealer.
Did you go to the dealer or replace the part? I'm still having the same issue and sometimes my iPhone won't even connect.

OP
OP

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, not yet. I cancelled an appointment because my backup car is torn apart for modifications right now. I got a new iPhone last week and it has the same issue.

jason202

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2009 Volvo C30 T5
I've had this issue twice. I did a reset on the head unit (power and next buttons, I think). It works fine after that, at least for a few weeks. I'm not sure if there's an update or not. Maybe that would help.
Same here. Both times the USB port wouldn't even charge the phone until I went through the reset.

OP
OP

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got the car in to the dealer, with only 1,000 miles left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

They confirmed the issue and replaced the "media hub". Works fine now.
Sponsored