gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
As I've noted previously on this forum, I came from a tuned 2.3 Mustang that left me enamored with the possibilities of the Ecoboost platform ... which ended up pushing me down the road of looking into the Badlands 2.0 when I needed something with more "utility".

I'll be honest, and it very well could be that a tune would awaken this 2.0 up a bit, but its not even in the same playing field performance-wise as my Mustang. Just highlightin this because that had always left me slightly 'disappointed' in the vehicle's engine. But overall, I was always a fan.

HOWEVER ...

My fandom has now skyrocketed after I saw this bad boy perform over and back the BlueRidge Moutanins and Pisgah National Forest multiple times. My gosh, living in Miami for years and years on end, doesn't leave you much prepared for mountain driving, does it?? 😅

After staying in Asheville for a couple of nights, we made our way on the Blue Ridge Parkway on a wet, low vis day. The parkway was open, but boy was it hairy. It dind't matter to the Swamp Ape, though. Engaged slippery mode, and I could literally feel all fourpoints of contact on the road with a solid grip. Visibility was about 10-15 feet, but it didn't matter to the 30mph cruise control as the Badlands PERFORMED up and down and around hairpin turns.

Had a cabin in West Maggie Valley that was right next to the Parkway also, so it was a point to point drive just about. When we got to the cabin, we now realized why the host required that visitors have all wheel drive as the cabin was about 2.5 miles in through forked dirt roads barely wide enough for two vehicles, and up 8% switchback turns. Engaged Mud/Ruts, and not ONE slip did I ever feel.

After hardening my resolve through those first 3 days, I was better prepared to deal with cresting the Smokies on 441 en route to Cade's Cove, only to recrest the Smokies at near sunset heading in the opposite direction, so that on each hairpin turn near the top, I had the sun blasting right into my face and into the entire cabin. I don't know if any of you have experienced that, but it was harrowing. I also was not ready for it, as I had JUST put away my sunglasses, because in the valley we were coming out of, it was fairly dark, and felt I had no need for them at near 5pm. I'm positive my blood pressure was not good for those 10-15 minutes. LOL

On the long drive back home to Florida, encountered long torrential downpours with, again, low vis. Engaged slippery mode and I was able to safely navigate a treacherous and busy holiday traffic weekend. All in all, I can't thank the Badlands enough for being an extremely safe carriage for my family over some fairly formidable terrain THAT MY MUSTANG WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO.

I guess my point is, the BS now has a much more profound respect from me. I liked it before. It's family now.

Here are some pics. I'm not much of a picture taker. If I get my hands on my wifes or our friends' shots, I'll try and post.
Ford Bronco Sport First Trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. IMG_5197

Ford Bronco Sport First Trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. IMG_5193

Ford Bronco Sport First Trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. IMG_5147

Ford Bronco Sport First Trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. IMG_5171
Sponsored

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
Great writeup and pictures thanks for sharing. I think you would also love the mountains in Colorado.....recommend driving the million dollar highway between Silverton and Ouray. That road can definitely get one's BP up!

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ... I forgot to add the story about how when we were coming out of the park, and getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway to head back to the cabin in Maggie Valley, we saw a tourist van in distress, that had slid halfway off the road. It had one wheel off the road. It wasn't a severe drop off, so I could see some of the occupants getting out to try and push.

My heart swelled as I thought "WOW! I'm actually gonna get a chance to use my recovery gear!!"

LMAO!! No lie.

But just as that happened, there was a white truck in front of me that turned on its 'official emergency lights'. I was maybe 5 minutes too late. Not sure if maybe the tourist company had immediately called them in.

But yeah, I wasn't about to try and wrest control. The situation seemed to be in hand, and my wife's death stare to 'keep going' didn't help either. LOL.

Later on at the cabin, we were laughing like I should've stopped, gotten out of the car, and said "No worries ... all is under control ... I've watched Matt's Off Road Recovery like 25 times." 😅 😅😅

Last edited:
OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great writeup and pictures thanks for sharing. I think you would also love the mountains in Colorado.....recommend driving the million dollar highway between Silverton and Ouray. That road can definitely get one's BP up!
My thought is it would take more than a mere 3 days to steelen your resolve for a Rockies tour. We're talking much higher elevations over longer distances. Your commitment to remain steadfast and undistracted must be unwavering in those conditions. Most of my "mountain experience" stems from my years in the service in California and touring the Sierra Nevadas. But its been years. I've been a "flat earther" for some time now. 😅

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
I did a trip like that many years ago in a BMW. Traveled through the Smoky Mountains, through the Indian Reservation, and visited the Biltmore Estate. I would recommend that trip for everyone!

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a trip like that many years ago in a BMW. Traveled through the Smoky Mountains, through the Indian Reservation, and visited the Biltmore Estate. I would recommend that trip for everyone!
It definitely planted a seed in my head to search this out in the United States as much as I can. Eyeballing Shenandoah next maybe.

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
For the Shenandoah, go during the summer and combine with a camping/ white water river chartered trip.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
So glad you got such a beautiful view of my "office!" Working for the FS is one of the big reasons I have a Badlands - I wanted to be able to actually get to the trailheads I manage down rough FS roads. I was at Looking Glass Rock Overlook standing in that exact spot just a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the Shenandoah, go during the summer and combine with a camping/ white water river chartered trip.
Thank you for the tip. I will keep it in mind.

So glad you got such a beautiful view of my "office!" Working for the FS is one of the big reasons I have a Badlands - I wanted to be able to actually get to the trailheads I manage down rough FS roads. I was at Looking Glass Rock Overlook standing in that exact spot just a couple weeks ago.
Haha! That's right!! I do envy your "office"....very much so.

Not much of a view that day...but you have to appreciate the "smoke" to be appreciative of "the smokies".

Have you ever experienced what I was referring to in the OP? Cresting from Tenn to NC at near dusk on a cloudless day? I imagine an experienced local driver just avoids that time and route...maybe waits another half hour for the sun to set. Even complete darkness is better than the fire blindness tht engulfed the swamp ape on each turn.

Will definitely be back.

I mentioned to my wife and friends on multiple occasions. Give me 30 days during the most opportune time of the season, where I can roam, hike, and camp the Smokies without having to worry about checking in with a wife, boss, kid, parents, or the like..and I would be a changed man.

I feel very honest about that. I feel similar about Muir Woods, Yosemite, and other parts of the Sierra Nevadas. Haven't been to the great parks in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming or Washington, but I've heard good things and would probably feel the same.

Everglades National Park down here has much beauty but only maybe a 5-6 week window, where the weather is tolerable enough to be mildly pleasant. And you're not doing much "roaming", unless you're doing it in a canoe or full waders.

Last edited:

LBinWNC

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 BS
Thanks for playing in our yard.. We can get some pretty blinding light !!

Next time you come let us know and we can go play on the FS roads

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for playing in our yard.. We can get some pretty blinding light !!

Next time you come let us know and we can go play on the FS roads
Was really looking forward to taking Parsons Branch Rd from Cades Cove to Tail of the Dragon. Alas, I just missed the cutoff for closing of the secondary roads by a couple of weeks. Couldn't even do Heintooga, which is a very easy drive from what I've seen/read.

Most of the offroad fun we had were on the roads of the private mountain community where our rental was. Actually found that it connected into other off road areas. Didn't get too squirly though. I'm sure there is PLENTY I left on the table.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Matt's Off Road Recovery? (Total Entertainment + Awesome "How-To")

Yep, not a Bronco Sport but still a fun and interesting comparison:

Go BANANA! Oh Sorry. I do enjoy Matt's Off-Road Recovery YouTube channel.

Last edited:

TSO_NJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD Bronco Sport OBX
Aaah yesss! A true adventurer!

Possible to zero in on a few other places of interest on this YouTube Channel (overland):

Lifestyle Overland
Sponsored

Last edited: