Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
My brother and I arrived at Uwharrie on 4/12, for a 3 day weekend camping trip. Our interest in this area reached a peak last year, after watching many video's, including Ben's, from @HRG Offroad and some others that covered the 2023 AWD Fest. After our initial plan fell through, which was a group ride, with a largely D.C. area off-road group, because they were uncomfortable with us joining them because my BS doesn't have a low Range or a traditional rear locker. We managed to hook up with another group through one of the Uwharrie off-road FB groups.

Day one had us stopping by the much talked about El Dorado Outpost, for our trail passes and to check out all their amenities. We then attempted to find our group contacts camping spot but as he wasn't to be found, at that time and my T-Mobile service was almost nonexistent, in that area, we hit one of the easier trails, before heading to our reserved camp site, at Arrowhead Campground. We then dropped by the Badin Lake Group Camp Ground, to meet up with the DC area group, as we were new to that group and as we had no previous experience with them, a meet up, was in order, if we were ever to do any trail rides with them. They are excellent planners and a friendly group, though I felt my BS was somewhat looked down on, as not one person showed any interest in my BS. They had a diverse group of vehicles but mostly Jeeps and Toyota's.

Day two, we managed to connect with our group, ostensibly a Suzuki Samurai group but due too their dwindling numbers, only one of them had a Samurai, for this trip, though we did encounter 2-3 more on the trails. We did most of the trails with them, including the well known Wolf Den and Dutch John trails. After they decided to head back to camp for a late lunch, at 3:30, we hit one or two more of the easier trails and headed back to camp, after checking out one of the other Campgrounds, Badin Lake.

Day three, as we were now comfortable with both the trails and the area we decided to head out on our own, doing many of the same, previous days, trails but in the reverse direction but adding a couple of new to us trails, as well, including the back side of Daniel. The front side is rated a 7-8 and there was no way I was going to try that, even though Ben from @HRG Offroad has a video of him doing it, in his BS. Speaking of Ben, we rand into him on the trails, leading a small group, in a white pickup truck. He flagged us down and started asking questions about my BS and as I immediately recognized him, I started talking to him, like he was an old friend. This was on Wolf Den and we had earlier run into a couple, at the trail head, that was there for their first ever trail ride. She was in a BS Badlands and had done the Off Roadeo, at some time and he was in a 6G Bronco. Thankfully she has the optional 235's and, with my brother spotting for her, she got through the trail, though there was some underbody contact in numerous places. I had my doubts she could get through and she was ready for some easier trails, after that but I had earlier told her about HRG, only to run into him, on the very same trail, as she is in the Charlotte N.C. area and HRG is just a little NNW, of there. After leaving them, we did some more exploring, including going up the back side of Daniel, which involved a lot of scouting ahead, in some fairly steep areas and some spotting.

We will be back and hope to make the 2024 AWD fest, which will probably be in September, again. We hope to meet some of you guys, on the trails.

PS, My new HRG Mid Skid plate held up perfectly, to several good hits.

Pics provided by our new Suzuki group friends.
Ford Bronco Sport Uwharrie N.F. Trail/Trip Report 1713454006783-1o
Ford Bronco Sport Uwharrie N.F. Trail/Trip Report 1713456873330-ys
Ford Bronco Sport Uwharrie N.F. Trail/Trip Report 1713453645057-5s
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

cdyrlg

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
It was great meeting you guys there at Kings Mt. Point while I was airing up! I live just an hour away from Uwharrie, and I try to get out there as often as I can. Glad to hear you're planning on going back!