AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
me personally, i would just keep the oem, and cut as needed.
aftermarket parts are not always the best fitting. they can be a PITA sometimes.
just take your time, make nice cuts, and done. did this for years when i was an autobody mechanic.
save you time, money and headaches. but that's just my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
vxarctic

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have you heard of Ford telling dealers they need to "cut the openings" out of the supposedly correct bumper?

I tried to order the bumper from a reliable Ford dealer but their notes are saying they have to "drill and cut" as appropriate to accommodate the trailer hitch even on the 'SC' bumper.
They're lazy. Whoever is checking their part numbers isn't making calls to check what the differences are and just assuming it's all the same thing because of the crap vendor diagrams.

Show them a picture of this:
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts s-l1600-

And tell them that the part number is M1PZ-17906-SC - Request to have them look up the part and call another dealership that has the part in stock and have that dealership send some photos.

I have this part sitting at my local body shop waitting for the hitch to arrive to install it all. Absolutely no cuts needed. With any luck I'll have the hitch around the end of the month if the vendors are right.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
That makes no sense. They don't have to drill and cut it at the factory. And why would they have different part numbers then for the bumper with the trailer package?
That's what I was told by at least three dealerships. Maybe a shortage of the correct bumper? Was told the actual 'correct' bumper would have been M1PZ17906SC but it was replaced by the one ending in 'SC.'

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
They're lazy. Whoever is checking their part numbers isn't making calls to check what the differences are and just assuming it's all the same thing because of the crap vendor diagrams.

Show them a picture of this:
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts s-l1600-

And tell them that the part number is M1PZ-17906-SC - Request to have them look up the part and call another dealership that has the part in stock and have that dealership send some photos.

I have this part sitting at my local body shop waitting for the hitch to arrive to install it all. Absolutely no cuts needed. With any luck I'll have the hitch around the end of the month if the vendors are right.
Dude, I contacted no less than three dealerships and they all said the same thing. It's not a conspiracy. They all said somewhere in their system Ford is telling them to cut/drill the bumper for the towing package even on the bumper ending in SC. I'm currently looking for the right bumper as I've got the wiring harness and OEM trailer hitch on order so why would I make up such a story?

They are all saying the bumper with the cutouts FROM THE FACTORY is M1PZ17906SBPTM , but maybe because a lack of supplies, is now going to M1PZ17906SC, which requires the hitch cutouts to be cut.

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
They are all saying the bumper with the cutouts FROM THE FACTORY is M1PZ17906SBPTM , but maybe because a lack of supplies, is now going to M1PZ17906SC, which requires the hitch cutouts to be cut.
I looked at a few places for the M1PZ-17906-SBPTM and it says that it is "No Longer Available" and that it has been replaced by M1PZ-17906-SC

• Genuine:
    Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts genuine-ford

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts lincol
    Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts mercury

• SKU: M1PZ17906SC
  • Replaces: M1PZ17906SBPTM
  • Sold In Quantity: 1

OP
OP
vxarctic

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Dude, I contacted no less than three dealerships and they all said the same thing. It's not a conspiracy. They all said somewhere in their system Ford is telling them to cut/drill the bumper for the towing package even on the bumper ending in SC. I'm currently looking for the right bumper as I've got the wiring harness and OEM trailer hitch on order so why would I make up such a story?

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20211207_143306

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20211207_142058

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20211207_142022

Please excuse the upside down image I was in a bit of a hurry. So I'll just say it again. The information in FMCdealer where they're pulling up the parts catalog information is wrong. It shows the same thing for all the bumper part numbers. And this step is key, they need to call a dealership with the part in stock and have them take a photo so your dealership can understand that there are no cuts needed.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20211207_143306

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20211207_142058

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20211207_142022

Please excuse the upside down image I was in a bit of a hurry. So I'll just say it again. The information in FMCdealer where they're pulling up the parts catalog information is wrong. It shows the same thing for all the bumper part numbers. And this step is key, they need to call a dealership with the part in stock and have them take a photo so your dealership can understand that there are no cuts needed.
Can I ask where you got yours? Also how long ago since you ordered it?

OP
OP
vxarctic

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Can I ask where you got yours? Also how long ago since you ordered it?
I got it through the dealership I work at. I believe I got it back in September. Been waiting on the hitch for a while. What I ended up doing was getting a VIN for a Badlands that came with the hitch and got the part number from there. Only the catalog didn't show any difference between the other bumpers. And of course the parts counter told me they all required cuts, which we both agreed didn't make sense. So I suggested they check and see if anyone else had the part in stock and have them send a photo. Somewhere mid-west had one, they sent some photos and yeah, the Ford parts catalog sucks. So believe me when I tell you they're just not doing any foot work.

Last edited:

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Here to revive an old-ish thread.

I replaced my non-trailer hitch bumper for one I ordered thanks to vxarctic along with the OEM trailer hitch. Not too hard but I definitely recommend putting aside at least a good three hours. I did it after work at 2 p.m. and was careful but wasn't taking my time as if I started at 9 a.m. on a Saturday. That's not including any time I need to devote to wiring up the 4-pin Ford kit.

For anyone thinking of doing it: YOU WILL BREAK THE GROMMETS FOR THE BLACK-TEXTURED FENDER 'FLARES'. Those things were on there as tight as can be and I only had 1500 miles so even when I pulled it to grab the sole screw some of the grommets broke. In the end, the remaining still hold pretty well but keep that in mind.

Hit me up with any questions.

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20220110_165919

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20220110_165913

haroldqjr

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Here to revive an old-ish thread.

I replaced my non-trailer hitch bumper for one I ordered thanks to vxarctic along with the OEM trailer hitch. Not too hard but I definitely recommend putting aside at least a good three hours. I did it after work at 2 p.m. and was careful but wasn't taking my time as if I started at 9 a.m. on a Saturday. That's not including any time I need to devote to wiring up the 4-pin Ford kit.

For anyone thinking of doing it: YOU WILL BREAK THE GROMMETS FOR THE BLACK-TEXTURED FENDER 'FLARES'. Those things were on there as tight as can be and I only had 1500 miles so even when I pulled it to grab the sole screw some of the grommets broke. In the end, the remaining still hold pretty well but keep that in mind.

Hit me up with any questions.

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20220110_165919

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts 20220110_165913
Total cost of the bumper and hitch?

wmhoneycutt

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
For anyone wondering. I just finished installing the Class II hitch from Ford Accessories. When you drop the bumper down, on the inside or back of the bumper, there is actually a faint line of where to cut! I just used a coping saw to get relatively close to the line, sanding bit on dremel to get to the line, and finally a razor knife to clean up the edges and viola! Whole install took maybe 2 hours, only because the wheel arch trim moulding was an absolute pain to figure out

Ford Bronco Sport Factory Bumper With OEM Trailer Hitch Cuts hitch

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
For anyone wondering. I just finished installing the Class II hitch from Ford Accessories. When you drop the bumper down, on the inside or back of the bumper, there is actually a faint line of where to cut! I just used a coping saw to get relatively close to the line, sanding bit on dremel to get to the line, and finally a razor knife to clean up the edges and viola! Whole install took maybe 2 hours, only because the wheel arch trim moulding was an absolute pain to figure out

We weren't wondering...

Seriously, how many arch trim molding clips/retainer did you break? I must've broken like 6 total. Enough to where I reordered new arch trim molding for each side.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V

Where is the tail light plug? I had my dealer install mine and it looks like the plug is in the factory location but they cut a hole in the bumper so I can access it.
Sponsored