Exhaust rattle, dealership won't cover under warranty

MJbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BB
Had the Bronco in the dealership for the recall work. Mentioned to them a rattle in the rear exhaust area that I could hear while I was outside the BS. They called and confirmed they heard as well, didn't find anything loose but stated it might be muffler baffling loose internally. Around that time I had mentioned some damage near the front driver side underside of BS that was due to hitting tree limb. I only brought it up because I wanted them to know it wasn't something I was worried about. Around this time he told me the exhaust/muffler replacement wouldn't be covered under warranty, since he believed I was staying that I think I caused the damage somehow. I never stated the the other damage was related to the muffler damage. I didn't argue it at the time, but the more I think about it, I don't see how they can deny the warranty work for this. Not sure how to proceed....any thoughts?!
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Take it back and have them correct the issue. They have the burden of proof to say it was due to your damaging the muffler, not you. If they continue to deny, ask for the phone number of the Ford regional service rep, and talk to them.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Well, you already walked. Now they think they are right. You’ll need to go to a different dealership.

OP
OP
MJbronco

MJbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BB
Well, you already walked. Now they think they are right. You’ll need to go to a different dealership.
But isn't dealership notes that can be seen by any dealership, wouldn't they just read the notes and deny warranty work?

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Did you actually get anything in writing that said they will deny warranty because they "believe" you caused the damage?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
They can say whatever they want, but again, if they are denying warranty work because they think you caused the damage, did they explain or point out what they said you did to cause the muffler damage? If they think the tree limb that caused the front damage caused this muffler rattle, ask them to prove it. If they can't (or won't), then ask for the regional service mangers phone number and explain to them what you have posted to us.

IMO, they are trying to bully you. Unless you are leaving something out of the story, then I would not accept their actions.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
The basic warranty should cover it. Now if the muffler has marks on it from a limb hit...

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Does the muffler have any visible marks/dents/scratches, etc?

If not, replacing the muffler should be covered -- assuming the tech's guess that the muffler baffling is loose is correct. They may want to confirm that before replacing it -- but if there is nothing obvious, like heat shielding too close to the exhaust, loose baffling is a good bet.

Last edited:

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Oh! I remember hearing a rattling one day when it was on and I was walking behind the rear.

I'll check it out maybe tomorrow and see how my process goes.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Had the Bronco in the dealership for the recall work. Mentioned to them a rattle in the rear exhaust area that I could hear while I was outside the BS. They called and confirmed they heard as well, didn't find anything loose but stated it might be muffler baffling loose internally. Around that time I had mentioned some damage near the front driver side underside of BS that was due to hitting tree limb. I only brought it up because I wanted them to know it wasn't something I was worried about. Around this time he told me the exhaust/muffler replacement wouldn't be covered under warranty, since he believed I was staying that I think I caused the damage somehow. I never stated the the other damage was related to the muffler damage. I didn't argue it at the time, but the more I think about it, I don't see how they can deny the warranty work for this. Not sure how to proceed....any thoughts?!
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Tina1106

Outer Banks
First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hi - I have had this problem as well. I just left Ford dealership and they told me that I have to replace the whole muffler and that due to mileage it is not covered under warranty. When I asked what the issue was, I was told it’s an internal failure - wondered if this was possibly a recall issue as others have had the same rattling? I have a 2022 ford bronco sport outerbanks.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Hi - I have had this problem as well. I just left Ford dealership and they told me that I have to replace the whole muffler and that due to mileage it is not covered under warranty. When I asked what the issue was, I was told it’s an internal failure - wondered if this was possibly a recall issue as others have had the same rattling? I have a 2022 ford bronco sport outerbanks.
Recalls won’t be happening for a failed muffler.

Tina1106

Outer Banks
First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you- just thought I’d ask. Am total newbie at the dealing with my own car issues.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
How many miles? Have you looked at the muffler yourself? If you are out of warranty consider getting a second opinion from an independent muffler shop.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you are mechanically inclined and can find a rental bay with a lift it would make checking the exhaust system much easier, you can move around underneath the vehicle and bang on the exhaust with the palm of your hand or fist and find where the rattle is coming from. I had to do this a few months ago with one of my other vehicles, in that case it was a couple of exhaust clamps were a bit loose as I had previously dropped the exhaust to change out the motor mounts.
Sponsored