EVAP Leak

kman779

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
by the way these fabric ones on the lower trims are garbage.
I know the Badlands has some skid plates up front, but does it also have a different type of material for the underbody shield near the canister? Is the Badlands the only one that doesn't use a fabric shield under there?
Sponsored

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
I know the Badlands has some skid plates up front, but does it also have a different type of material for the underbody shield near the canister? Is the Badlands the only one that doesn't use a fabric shield under there?
I have early Dec badlands sport and it has a metal plate (thinner than forward plate), but it stops just short of where this canister seems to be. At that point the fabric cover (same material as wheel wells) starts and continues to rear along drivers side. Really a shame that fabric section was not metal or the canister was not located higher up. About all the fabric does is reduce the chance something snags the tubing connecting to the canister - it's low too.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I assume your reference to canister , is the Fuel Tank ?

Every off road (stated & or advertised ) should have Skid plates over the Fuel Tank , Engine & running gear , period . I can see they are trying to save weight on most models , except the Bad lands & I think the FE , but you advertise them as off road & people are breaking things , what did they expect ?

I want them on ours & don't plan on off roading except the Beach .

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
I assume your reference to canister , is the Fuel Tank ?

Every off road (stated & or advertised ) should have Skid plates over the Fuel Tank , Engine & running gear , period . I can see they are trying to save weight on most models , except the Bad lands & I think the FE , but you advertise them as off road & people are breaking things , what did they expect ?

I want them on ours & don't plan on off roading except the Beach .
Not the fuel tank (fortunately !). There is a plastic tank that is part of the EVAP system for collecting gasoline vapors that get recycled into engine. I would guess someone will make a metal after market part to replace the fabric/composite cover the car comes with so there is at least a little impact protection. Lots of descriptions on line......

"The EVAP system totally eliminates fuel vapors as a source of air pollution by sealing off the fuel system from the atmosphere. ... When the engine is warm and the vehicle is going down the road, the PCM then opens a purge valve allowing the vapors to be siphoned from the storage canister into the intake manifold. "

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first read the Thread title , I actually thought it was about the EVAP as in the Air Conditioning system , EVAP is an abbreviation in my field for the Evaporator , which is the Coil that gets cold that air is blown across to blow cold air into the Cabin , lol

Learn something new every day, just how big is this canister?

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
looks like a solid hit, good place for a skid plate it seems
Nope, just some protective fabric for a marketed adventurous small SUV
When I first read the Thread title , I actually thought it was about the EVAP as in the Air Conditioning system , EVAP is an abbreviation in my field for the Evaporator , which is the Coil that gets cold that air is blown across to blow cold air into the Cabin , lol

Learn something new every day, just how big is this canister?
EVAP canisters that I have come across in the past on other vehicles are typically about the size of a US Army canteen.

Group_44

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Platinum,80 Triumph TR8, 69 Jag XKE 2+2
Seems like a pretty bogus set up for a vehicle Ford is advertising as off road ready, every ad I see shows the Bronco Sport blasting down some deep rutted trail loaded with big rock just waiting to rip something off the bottom. Wonder how many of those Bronco Sports in the commercials had to be put back together after the shoot?

Socalpickerguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
My check engine light came on the other day as well for small evap leak I don’t Ever remember hitting anything pulled the under body panel off and found this There was no damage to The underbody liner what I think happened Is the evap solenoid control valve shown in the picture came loose from it to mount and it put pressure on the fitting on the charcoal canister and broke it off my bronco only has 2500 miles on it bad design all the way around
Ford Bronco Sport EVAP Leak 4C8B5576-8705-4DAA-ABF0-E1E1C01C83CC
Ford Bronco Sport EVAP Leak 2C1179DA-E177-46AC-B9E9-ADAB8631B883
Ford Bronco Sport EVAP Leak 758BDA51-8AF3-4218-B910-BC7EEF83F53B
Ford Bronco Sport EVAP Leak 4C8B5576-8705-4DAA-ABF0-E1E1C01C83CC
Ford Bronco Sport EVAP Leak 2C1179DA-E177-46AC-B9E9-ADAB8631B883

MJbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BB
Just had something similar happen. Blind corner, dead tree across the road. Was on top of it before I knew it. Part of it kicked up and whacked the evaporator canister, putting a crack in it. Possibly more damage but haven't gotten around to taking the fabric panel off to look. 2 things, other than water/debris getting into that area, is there a major issue with not taking immediate action and still driving? Secondly, I figure this is is something I could replace, if any one has any experience doing this and has any info let me know. Sounds like OP had the canister and a hose replaced....obviously I have to remove the fabric panel and check for additional damage. I also agree that this should have more protection around it.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
The whole setup is cheap plastic on the evap. Is easy to replace at least. Just unplug all the connectors and then swap the evap and plug back in. Problem is there’s no place to move it since the bottoms all flat underneath. Unlike with solid rear axle vehicles where the pumpkin sits lower and evap can get tucked up higher to the tub. Even my badlands that has the evap skid still has all the lines exposed. Gonna be worse in winter with ford’s use of cheap brittle plastic as people go over snow berms etc. Seen quite a few people on here and other forums who’ve broken these.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I figure this is is something I could replace, if any one has any experience doing this and has any info let me know. Sounds like OP had the canister and a hose replaced....obviously I have to remove the fabric panel and check for additional damage. I also agree that this should have more protection around it.
Oh yeah. It looks like a lot, but they are really easy. If you can connect a refrigerator ice water line, you can replace an EVAP. Typically they are held in with just a few bolts and slide onto a frame piece. You have to work out the various connectors for the electric on the purge solenoid and the lines. Based on the picture above, you'd push or pull the retaining clip and then yank the connector off a plastic nipple. They have an O-ring to seal it. There are also specialty tools to help but I've never needed them. These are all vapor lines so it may smell of gasoline, but it is just vapor and not running from the tank. Be appropriately safe. You need to connect them fully and firmly to avoid any sort of vacuum leak or it will throw a code. Push hard till it clicks on.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Just had something similar happen. Blind corner, dead tree across the road. Was on top of it before I knew it. Part of it kicked up and whacked the evaporator canister, putting a crack in it. Possibly more damage but haven't gotten around to taking the fabric panel off to look. 2 things, other than water/debris getting into that area, is there a major issue with not taking immediate action and still driving? Secondly, I figure this is is something I could replace, if any one has any experience doing this and has any info let me know. Sounds like OP had the canister and a hose replaced....obviously I have to remove the fabric panel and check for additional damage. I also agree that this should have more protection around it.
if it's not a serious crack more of a simple fracture line try JB weld
as noted above by Glamdring70 a vacuum leak is to be avoided
I used this method on the subie almost 12 years ago
still leak free

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Take it down,
Paint the crack with super glue,
Wrap that sucker in duct tape.
Get on with your life.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me , it looks like something hit it & broke the line 's Fitting & its attachment point . You may or may not see any damage to that fabric cover . As said , it needs better protection over that area .

Slewis95407

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Sylvansport Go, 2012 Focus
Oh yeah. It looks like a lot, but they are really easy. If you can connect a refrigerator ice water line, you can replace an EVAP. Typically they are held in with just a few bolts and slide onto a frame piece. You have to work out the various connectors for the electric on the purge solenoid and the lines. Based on the picture above, you'd push or pull the retaining clip and then yank the connector off a plastic nipple. They have an O-ring to seal it. There are also specialty tools to help but I've never needed them. These are all vapor lines so it may smell of gasoline, but it is just vapor and not running from the tank. Be appropriately safe. You need to connect them fully and firmly to avoid any sort of vacuum leak or it will throw a code. Push hard till it clicks on.
I hit a rock and knocked the canister off of its mount and ripped the wires out of the connector. Canister is held in by 3 studs. The 2 front mounts are slotted and 1 rear is not slotted. The rear stud was ripped out. Installed a nutsert (riv nut) to replace the stud. Soldered the wires back on the connector. Used tyraps and rtv to stitch the cover back together. Reset check engine light. Back on the road. Rock Auto has the canister for less than $200.
Sponsored

Last edited: