Edmund's picks Subaru Forester over Bronco Sport

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
CVT on a gas engine only powertrain is an automatic disqualifier for me.

Subaru’s CVTs might not be crap like Nissan’s. But it still ruins the driving experience.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I will never own a CVT, did not like it one bit.
I am a FORD owner for life.
Why you ask ?
Let me not talk about the vehicles first.
Let me talk about the company and what it does for me.
I have a great FORD dealer close to me.
No Subaru dealers anywhere near me.
I've been treated fairly and have never been disappointed in any category of my dealers services.

Now the vehicles, I'll keep it simple.
Subarus look and perform like the herd. Nothing stands out.

As for FORD.
F-150XL and XLT,
MUSTANG,
Transit Connect XLT, (Surprisingly good),
And now my Bronco Sport BASE model.
ALL my Ford's, and I only named some of them.....
Ok ok a few more,
Ranger,
Falcon,
LTD,
1983 Ford Taunus GT, (only sold In Europe),, Google it.
Fairlane,
1972 Ford Ranchero

Yeah as a company Ford beats them all.
As for the cars the above list says it all.
I am not a Subaru driver, they are so In need of a major update.
Even then they are still just Subaru's...

Dcamp

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
A Forester is like Low Cal Gluten-Free Ice Cream. On paper a case can be made that it is better for you. Ill stick to my Baskin Robbins Jamoca Almond Fudge and spend a bit more time on the eliptical each week. Work hard, play harder. Life is short!

Bigbend410

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Edmund's is one of the most respected names in auto ratings and car value guides. They put the BS up against the Subaru Forester and picked the Forester as best for the average buyer. Guess I'm not the average buyer. Who wants to be average? I'm sure Ford is disappointed with this. Are you average?

Edmunds: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport vs the Subaru Forester (yahoo.com)
For me the Subaru back seats don’t fold flat. That is a deal breaker as I am a “car camper” and sleep in the back. Another possible issue is the Subaru CVT that has potential problems. The BS also has more head room which is very nice when you are trying to get dressed or just sit up. The BS fit my needs so I chose it over the Subaru, Toyota RAV, Mazda CX5.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
yep, but if you buy a sube you'll love puppy
A Forester is like Low Cal Gluten-Free Ice Cream. On paper a case can be made that it is better for you. Ill stick to my Baskin Robbins Jamoca Almond Fudge and spend a bit more time on the eliptical each week. Work hard, play harder. Life is short!
good lord man, why would gluten (a grain protein) be in anything called ice cream which is naturally gluten free, unless it has raw cookie dough. Barf.
Gluten is often used as a filler, sort of like all that added plastic on the Forester. :cwl:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR2, Ford Expedition
Subaru? I didn't even know Subaru exists...LOL! Bronco Sport for the win.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
We have both a late model turbo Forester and an Outer Banks. They are both nice vehicles, but the Bronco is better looking and more fun to drive.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
My sister has an Outback she loves so I looked into the Subarus. My husband was super embarrassed, but every time I saw a Forester driver, I asked what they thought of the vehicle. While up North especially, an overwhelming amount of drivers said the Forester was disappointing in the snow. One lady said she got it specifically for Michigan winters and it let her down immensely.
I don't know about the Forester, but I had a Crosstrek and it was excellent in the snow. Many other reasons I didn't like it, but it handled Traverse City snow like a champ.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
My sister has an Outback she loves so I looked into the Subarus. My husband was super embarrassed, but every time I saw a Forester driver, I asked what they thought of the vehicle. While up North especially, an overwhelming amount of drivers said the Forester was disappointing in the snow. One lady said she got it specifically for Michigan winters and it let her down immensely.

Every forum and group I have seen regarding the Bronco Sport and snow showed a vehicle that could handle it, pretty much with ease. That was the big reason I waited to get my baby Bronco. That and I agree with the earlier poster that said the Subaru looks like they stuck Tupperware on it.
I hit a patch of black ice not long after I got my Forester. She handled beautifully. Reading your comment, maybe it was more my driving ( and lots of luck) than the car. Most people I know that love their Subarus own either a Crosstrek or an Outback. I got my OB in January. She saw lots of PA snow. Handled perfectly.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I hear a lifted Sub Forester Wilderness model is coming soon with a possible 2.4L Turbo engine. The 2.4L has a timing chain as the 2.5L has a timing belt.
If they were serious about generating some excitement, they would lift it, add a manual tranny, and borrow a non-oil-burning engine from Toyota, since they're partnering with them these days.

debmc1958

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
in 2015, when my Escape was at 200,000+ miles, I was looking for a replacement. At that time, the Forester was available with a manual and was on my list as a manual transmission was a high priority for me. The oil consumption issues and whiny powertain kept me away and I ultimately purchased a 2016 CX-5 (manual) and moved on.
With a CVT, the Forester would completely be off my radar.
ah yes, I forgot about the way it burned through oil and always ran hot

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
If they were serious about generating some excitement, they would lift it, add a manual tranny, and borrow a non-oil-burning engine from Toyota, since they're partnering with them these days.
That combo might generate some excitement with a small crowd, but it wouldn’t generate profit. There’s no market for an SUV with a manual transmission. The soccer moms have spoken.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
That combo might generate some excitement with a small crowd, but it wouldn’t generate profit. There’s no market for an SUV with a manual transmission. The soccer moms have spoken.
Yeah, I know. You are correct, and that's why I've given up on that idea, having enjoyed a manual transmission in an Explorer, an Escape, and a CX-5, I know that ship has sailed for SUVs.

I read that Subaru is dropping the manual in the Crosstrek too. Not only have the soccer moms spoken, but I know a lot of "car enthusiasts" that adore all of the self-driving features too. If no one wants to steer, then they sure as hell don't want to shift.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Yeah, I know. You are correct, and that's why I've given up on that idea, having enjoyed a manual transmission in an Explorer, an Escape, and a CX-5, I know that ship has sailed for SUVs.

I read that Subaru is dropping the manual in the Crosstrek too. Not only have the soccer moms spoken, but I know a lot of "car enthusiasts" that adore all of the self-driving features too. If no one wants to steer, then they sure as hell don't want to shift.
True. There’s also the automatic emergency braking feature. I have yet to see a proper execution of that with a manual transmission. Automatics are now safer, quicker, and more fuel efficient than their manual counterparts. From a practical standpoint, there is no logical reason for a manual transmission.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
True. There’s also the automatic emergency braking feature. I have yet to see a proper execution of that with a manual transmission. Automatics are now safer, quicker, and more fuel efficient than their manual counterparts. From a practical standpoint, there is no logical reason for a manual transmission.
I agree with most of that. But I've made to to my mid-fifties without a moving accident. I attribute that to attentiveness, which I believe a manual forces additional attentiveness when driving. All of that automation is great as long as it doesn't breed complacency, which it apparently did with several former Tesla drivers.

But yeah, the additional cost to properly develop the mandated safety features for the ever-decreasing (almost non-existent) segment deems it unfeasible.
Sponsored