Edmund's picks Subaru Forester over Bronco Sport

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Edmund's is one of the most respected names in auto ratings and car value guides. They put the BS up against the Subaru Forester and picked the Forester as best for the average buyer. Guess I'm not the average buyer. Who wants to be average? I'm sure Ford is disappointed with this. Are you average?

Edmunds: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport vs the Subaru Forester (yahoo.com)
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
When I was deciding on a new car, the final showdown was between a Forester and Bronco Sport.

I initially looked at late model used Foresters because the 2019 redesign worsened an already-mediocre interior layout: crowded steering wheel, grab bag button panel to your left, three separate display screens for some reason, too much glossy plastic.

On the plus side: higher standard ground clearance, adaptive cruise control and heated seats standard, more rear leg room. I also like how the Forester is one of the few new cars in this segment that has a ton of headroom and glass.

Edmunds doesn't mention the CVT on the Forester; for all the 'concern' voiced about the 1.5L Dragon, a CVT is a bigger 'issue' than a 3-cylinder motor. And if you're comparing Badlands to the Forester Touring, the 2.0L paired with the 8-speed auto wins without trying.

'Driving experience' is subjective but the Subaru Forester is dreadfully boring. The Sport's 'mini-truck' experience might not be for everyone, but it's unique and fun, especially on country roads and in the mountains.

In short, I don't think I'd regret owning a Forester. But I doubt I'd look forward to driving it like I do the Bronco Sport.

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Edmunds says, "In many cases, the Bronco Sport meets or exceeds its own hype. Wherever this crossover goes, smiles are sure to follow. But when it comes to value and day-to-day livability, the Bronco Sport has room to improve. For those reasons we recommend the Subaru Forester for the average buyer. Its agreeable manner comes at the right price, and its respectable capability in the dirt seals the deal."

Style-wise, the Bronco Sport wins hands-down! In my opinion, the Forester has no character.

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Edmund's is one of the most respected names in auto ratings and car value guides. They put the BS up against the Subaru Forester and picked the Forester as best for the average buyer. Guess I'm not the average buyer. Who wants to be average? I'm sure Ford is disappointed with this. Are you average?

One thing I keep seeing in all these reviews are excessive wind noises, but I swear I never hear any wind noise driving my BS, anyone else? Maybe because I always have the radio on, but it’s not on very high...

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I got the 'nice, safe' Forester when it was time to say goodbye to my 2001 Escape. Subaru came highly recommended by friends. Yup, it was a nice, safe and boring car. Then it started to burn oil. Thankfully the oil burning ( and weird tranny noises) happened about the time the Sport was coming out. Knowing how much I loved my Escape, I got in line for a Sport immediately. My OB was delivered in January.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
So does this mean ppl will go buy all the Foresters off the car lots and maybe Ford dealers will have some BS in stock?

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Bronco Sport is a true off-road vehicle. The Subaru Forester is not. It is like comparing apples and oranges. My mechanic will not even work on a Subaru. He advised me not to buy any vehicle with CVT as they are seeing lots of problems with them. I have absolutely no wind noise with my Bronco Sport. Maybe if you have a moonroof you might get some. My last vehicle had a moonroof and did have wind noise. I would not like to be seen driving a Forester. Totally different demographic from the owners of Bronco Sports. The Forester is a dull vehicle while the Bronco Sport is exciting.

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
When I was deciding on a new car, the final showdown was between a Forester and Bronco Sport.

I initially looked at late model used Foresters because the 2019 redesign worsened an already-mediocre interior layout: crowded steering wheel, grab bag button panel to your left, three separate display screens for some reason, too much glossy plastic.

On the plus side: higher standard ground clearance, adaptive cruise control and heated seats standard, more rear leg room. I also like how the Forester is one of the few new cars in this segment that has a ton of headroom and glass.

Edmunds doesn't mention the CVT on the Forester; for all the 'concern' voiced about the 1.5L Dragon, a CVT is a bigger 'issue' than a 3-cylinder motor. And if you're comparing Badlands to the Forester Touring, the 2.0L paired with the 8-speed auto wins without trying.

'Driving experience' is subjective but the Subaru Forester is dreadfully boring. The Sport's 'mini-truck' experience might not be for everyone, but it's unique and fun, especially on country roads and in the mountains.

In short, I don't think I'd regret owning a Forester. But I doubt I'd look forward to driving it like I do the Bronco Sport.
Well said!

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I looked and drove both. No contest. The Forester was just another car. For that kind of money I'd expect better performance off road. Obviously the author never left the pavement and had a Bronco that still had over pressured tires from shipping. The Forster is just another boring crossover with a CVT transmission (big negative). And notice it's larger engine with about the same horsepower as the smaller 1.5 Bronco turbo which he says you should avoid. The author ignored a lot.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
Subaru makes a nice station wagon with off-roady Tupperware stuck to it.

DakotaBronco

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport

Yeah...I wasn't looking for a grocery getter when I bought my BS FE so...nope, I'm not "average".

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Thanks for posting. Doesn't mean squat to me. I respect Subaru, I wanted a Ford. I had an old Bronco, this was a no brainer purchase. Yeah the full Bronco is probably cooler, I am driving today. bronco sport with off-road capability is the winner in my garage. Edmunds can hand out certificates. That's the world we live in.