SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I tow 2K with no problems. I wouldn't tow in the mountains with it though. The transmission/cooling is the limitation along with the 220# limit hitch weight (suspension). Neither is made for towing more than the Sport 1.5/2k or 2.0/2.2K rating with the Factory 53B tow package.
Sponsored

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Towing figures are oddly conservative in US. The Ford Kuga is rated for 3300lbs with the 1.5 engine. If you got trailer brakes and stay off the interstate, what's the problem?

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
The main problem is the transmission overheating. I have a temp gauge to keep an eye on mine. Secondary is the tongue weight as it should typically be at least 10% of the trailer weight to avoid sway. So a 220 pound tongue limit puts you at 2,200 pounds. At a minimum of 10%, more tongue weight would put you over the max for the suspension.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Holy :curse: you guys. I wouldn’t tow more than a jet ski with this! I can’t believe what I’m reading! This is a sub-compact crossover unibody. It’s really not a SUV. Marketing calls it that. It sure looks like one and goes where real SUVs go using a different approach. But it’s a car. a small one at that. The ratings are so low because it was never designed for towing.

I can tow my boat with my lawnmower….it’ll do it. up the hills, no problem! lol does great !

structure, propulsion, thermal, handling, and braking

the weakest category sets the limit. I don’t know what the weakest one is but the BS simply does not have enough bulk to control a trailer. I’m not talking about pulling. Power is 1/5th of the equation.

That said. I see a lot of wild stuff on the roads. Sub compact crossovers pulling over 2K is not something Ive seen. I’m hoping there’s more out there with common sense than not.

Last edited:

Wild Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
LARRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I am assuming all you trailer towers are using premium fuel in your engines.

raiderbrit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I've used my Badlands to tow my small 18' Airstream, and it tows just fine. The weight is right at the towing limit. The trailer has electric brakes, and I have a brake controller. Manufacturers are always conservative with their ratings, so I wouldn't worry as long as you don't go much over it.

For some reason, the BL with the 2.0 liter engine has the same tow rating as the smaller-engine models, even though the Maverick with essentially the same drive train is rated to tow up to 4,000 lbs. It must be the short wheelbase rather than any drive train limitations.
The Maverick has a 4 k tow rating only if you have the 4K tow package with the 2.0 l engine. The package includes bigger transmission and oil cooler and has a different gear ratio. The 4k package is not available on the Bronco Sport as it has the 4 wheel drive upgrade.

GJarrett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport, 2017 EcoBoost Mustang
I wonder how strong our transmissions are and how long they (won't) last if they are tasked/stressed to tow over-limit weights a lot?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I wonder how strong our transmissions are and how long they (won't) last if they are tasked/stressed to tow over-limit weights a lot?
Your owner's manual recommends shorter service intervals on transmission fluid if you tow frequently.

Slewis95407

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Sylvansport Go, 2012 Focus
Sylvansport Go utility trailer & tent camper. 860 lbs. top (tent) can be removed or raised to use as utility, bed is 4x7, tilts to load quad or motor cycles.

Ford Bronco Sport Does anyone actually pull a trailer 0607211335a

Ford Bronco Sport Does anyone actually pull a trailer 1123

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
My Sport with the tow package towed my 2K camper... just. The transmission heated up too much on long grades. I put in a gauge to watch it. Switched to the Maverick with 4K towing, beefier suspension, lower gearing, larger tranny cooler, radiator, and fans. Measuring at the wheel well, my Sport squatted 2+" with 200 lbs. on the hitch and the back loaded with gear. The maverick barely squats .5" with 245 lbs. on the hitch and loaded with the same gear. The temp gauge hardly moves on the hills. There's no way I'd tow 2k+ in the mountains with a Sport.
Ford Bronco Sport Does anyone actually pull a trailer Sport-Tab-Mav

Ford Bronco Sport Does anyone actually pull a trailer scangauge

Ford Bronco Sport Does anyone actually pull a trailer Scangauge II

Last edited:

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
Just got done pulling a 5x9 Uhaul Motorcycle trailer loaded with a 400lb Honda Helix from Charlotte back home (450 miles). I estimate it was 1300 lbs total. My 22 OBX with the 1.5 performed flawlessly. A little sway here and there from the wind plus no way to put the Helix in Backwards. The engine is over the rear wheel so the normal rule of putting most of the weight in front of the trailer axle was impossible. If I would have loaded the bike backwards it would have ripped the windshield off.

I can see it towing 1500 lbs easy. If I was doing hard grades like mountains, (think Black Mountain just east of Asheville, or Afton just east of Waynesboro), then I would only be comfortable with 1,000 or so. Just enough for a nice Teardrop I would think.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Sylvansport Go utility trailer & tent camper. 860 lbs. top (tent) can be removed or raised to use as utility, bed is 4x7, tilts to load quad or motor cycles.

Very, very cool. If I did not already have an RV, I'd have this!