CactusJack

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I didn't like it in my QX30 that I previously had. It was rough and didn't save much on mpgs. Right now I'm not using on my Bronco Sport, to get a baseline idea of what the gas mileage is without it. Once I feel like I have a good gauge on that, I'll probably turn it on. The bronco sport system is a lot smoother than what I had expected so wouldn't mind using it as much
Sponsored

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
I rarely drive with a/s stop on. I push the disconnect button after I start up. I also turn the auto lights mode off as well. As before, the a/s stop now goes completely off when I engage the off button. I have no idea why it didn't completely disengage before, but like the first time, it only lasted for a few days. I named her Spooky, and she sure is! Lol!
As mentioned above though there is the auto stop/start which is the green light that comes on, as far as the taking you foot off the brake and not moving that's the brake hold which is a separate button on the mid console and is easy to accidently hit on and off as well. Just clarifying that there is two different features

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Jeep Gladiator, '99 SLK230
I try to turn it off whenever I can because I find it really annoying, especially the little jerk in the steering wheel as the power steering shuts down. I have a hard enough time putting on miles to just keep my battery charged and the annoying "Remote features disabled" message off my Ford Pass app and having the engine constantly shutting down doesn't help.

Before I started driving an extra 30 miles a week, which seems to be enough to recharge the battery, the low battery warnings would also disable autostart. Now that I don't get the warnings I have to remember to hit the button.
Low battery? Something is wrong if a new vehicle keeps discharging the battery due to non-use or short miles. Should be able to sit for weeks with no problem. Even with just a few minutes running on occasional short trips. I'd have the dealer look at that.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
Thanks Warpious, I did not know about that button. I don't have a button for brake hold on the console. Maybe Big Bend's don't have that feature. I see you have a Badlands model. Perhaps you have it as standard equipment. I do have the tow package, though. I believe I have to press the brake pedal hard to activate brake hold. I have to read the darn owners manual to be sure!

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I've used it for the first couple of days I've had my BS. I may turn it off when I'm in line at the gate going to work. That's just too much 1 car length at a time stopping. The only other issue I may have with it is the timing of lights that turn green even while the tac needle is dropping from having just stopped the engine. I'll need to experiment with it, but for the most part it's not been too annoying, and I have enough control issues I know pretty much when lights will turn green and I can preemptively have it restarted.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Low battery? Something is wrong if a new vehicle keeps discharging the battery due to non-use or short miles. Should be able to sit for weeks with no problem. Even with just a few minutes running on occasional short trips. I'd have the dealer look at that.
No offense, but Iā€™ll take real world experience over opinion any day. Even the FordPass app tells me I need to drive longer trips to keep the battery charged :crackup:.

This is a common problem (along with needing tires with half the tread still left) where I live because almost everyone that lives here drives an average of a mile or two a day with the rest of the miles in one or two long trips to the mainland. Newer vehicles simply need more recovery time from startup, which is why I turn auto start off.

It isnā€™t not driving that takes the battery down, it is the starting of the vehicle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Jeep Gladiator, '99 SLK230
No offense, but Iā€™ll take real world experience over opinion any day. Even the FordPass app tells me I need to drive longer trips to keep the battery charged :crackup:.

This is a common problem (along with needing tires with half the tread still left) where I live because almost everyone that lives here drives an average of a mile or two a day with the rest of the miles in one or two long trips to the mainland. Newer vehicles simply need more recovery time from startup, which is why I turn auto start off.

It isnā€™t not driving that takes the battery down, it is the starting of the vehicle
It's not my "opinion" it's my real world experience which believe it or not can vary from yours :crackup: (also an infrequent short-distance driver - so just sounded odd since I don't seem to have this problem). But yes, another reason to disable it! Wish it would stay disabled. Thx government.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I drive my BS every day, or nearly every day and average about 800 miles a month. I have no issues with the battery, I'm at nearly 4k miles, and knock wood, no issues whatsoever, well, other than the mysterious auto start/stop quirk. The first tank of gas, I ran it with a/s/s off. The second tank I ran with it on. I saw +1 mpg diff. 2 other vehicles I owned with this feature ('18 Escape, '19 Ecosport) I seldom used the a/s/s. I'm from the old school, I just believe the wear and tear of constantly turning the motor off and on, especially in hot weather when the ac is running, the off position turns the compressor off as well and that can't be doing that system any good either. I have to figure the trade off of 1 mpg in savings versus keeping the motor running isn't harming the environment that much. However, I do shut it off when stopped for extended periods, I also turn off the ac if it's on. Windows work and get through it!

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Re starter wear and tear, Iā€™m under the impression that it doesnā€™t use the starter to restart. Instead it fires whatever cylinder is in the best position to turn the engine over fairly instantly.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Re starter wear and tear, Iā€™m under the impression that it doesnā€™t use the starter to restart. Instead it fires whatever cylinder is in the best position to turn the engine over fairly instantly.
Apparently Mazda tried something close to what you described in 2011 but from Ford.com

Notes:

• Auto Start-Stop may not shut your engine off if your vehicle battery is charging, the engine is still warming up, or if youā€™re using heat or air conditioning.
  • Your vehicle is equipped with a heavy-duty starter and battery to help compensate for a high number of starts and stops

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hmmm...I thought the original question was about a FordPass scheduled remote start...? Everyone 'uses' auto start/stop unless or until you switch it off with the dash button (or have it otherwise disabled). I tried a scheduled remote start 1x and it worked perfectly, but, I'm just not sure why I'd need this. Except, there was a time when mine was really new and I was forgetting to remote start it myself when I was getting ready to go -- now it's habit, I pocket my comb, wallet, keys, phone, then pick up the fob and start 'er up before I'm ready to head out the door.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hmmm...I thought the original question was about a FordPass scheduled remote start...? Everyone 'uses' auto start/stop unless or until you switch it off with the dash button (or have it otherwise disabled). I tried a scheduled remote start 1x and it worked perfectly, but, I'm just not sure why I'd need this. Except, there was a time when mine was really new and I was forgetting to remote start it myself when I was getting ready to go -- now it's habit, I pocket my comb, wallet, keys, phone, then pick up the fob and start 'er up before I'm ready to head out the door.
I sometimes work 3:30 AM to 3:30 PM. I can imagine the vehicle being warmed up and ready to go on cold winter mornings would be excellent. That early in the morning all the prep is very streamlined (lunch usually packed the night before, clothes stages, etc.) so anything I wouldn't have to think about/do would be a benefit.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I sometimes work 3:30 AM to 3:30 PM. I can imagine the vehicle being warmed up and ready to go on cold winter mornings would be excellent. That early in the morning all the prep is very streamlined (lunch usually packed the night before, clothes stages, etc.) so anything I wouldn't have to think about/do would be a benefit.
Kind of what I was thinking when I tried it; but remembering to do it myself is almost as easy. My fear is that scheduled remote starts occur when not wanted (ex. every weekday but it's a holiday and am not going anywhere; or worse it's in the garage and I didn't cancel the schedule...?).

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
I've used it for the first couple of days I've had my BS. I may turn it off when I'm in line at the gate going to work. That's just too much 1 car length at a time stopping. The only other issue I may have with it is the timing of lights that turn green even while the tac needle is dropping from having just stopped the engine. I'll need to experiment with it, but for the most part it's not been too annoying, and I have enough control issues I know pretty much when lights will turn green and I can preemptively have it restarted.
You will find that the auto stop does not engage unless you get the vehicle above 3 mph. This keeps it from shutting down in line at the gate and also at drive through restaurants. šŸ˜†
Sponsored