Difference between lane keeping and lane centering

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
Firstly, I just want to check to make sure I understand this correctly, because my car doesn't seem to be reacting as I expected.

Lane CENTERING - Available only when adaptive cruise control is on. Lane markings on screen turn green. Car will actively follow the lane. Really cool.

Lane KEEPING - Active all the time (above 40mph per the manual). Lane markings turn white on the screen. Car will push you back into the lane if you drift. Ping Pong effect.

I'm asking because my Lane KEEPING seems to be a POS. Lane markings are turning white, but i can easily drift out of a lane. Up to the point where i feel unsafe and have to bring my car back in manually. I see the offending lane marking turn yellow. But i do not feel a vibration in the wheel, and I feel no noticeable torque on the wheel. Are there supposed to be an audio alert as well?

I travel for work so i've driven a lot of rental cars, so sometimes i get my features mixed up (some cars beep, some don't, etc.). It seems weird to me that Lane CENTERING is one of the best cruise controls I've used, actually wowed me. It handles things like widening exit lanes and rainy seattle days, where other cars have suffered (autopilot, cough). However, the lane KEEPING which is doing a very similar function, is one of the worst features i've used.
Sponsored

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
There are 3 modes for lane keep. alert, aid, alert + aid. There are also 3 sensitivity settings for 2 settings that have alert. low medium and high levels of vibration on the steering wheel.

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Really, Iā€™m shocked when any of this tech works at allā€¦the highway markings here in CA are so bad, even I sometimes have trouble seeing where the lanes are.

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Firstly, I just want to check to make sure I understand this correctly, because my car doesn't seem to be reacting as I expected.

Lane CENTERING - Available only when adaptive cruise control is on. Lane markings on screen turn green. Car will actively follow the lane. Really cool.

Lane KEEPING - Active all the time (above 40mph per the manual). Lane markings turn white on the screen. Car will push you back into the lane if you drift. Ping Pong effect.

I'm asking because my Lane KEEPING seems to be a POS. Lane markings are turning white, but i can easily drift out of a lane. Up to the point where i feel unsafe and have to bring my car back in manually. I see the offending lane marking turn yellow. But i do not feel a vibration in the wheel, and I feel no noticeable torque on the wheel. Are there supposed to be an audio alert as well?

I travel for work so i've driven a lot of rental cars, so sometimes i get my features mixed up (some cars beep, some don't, etc.). It seems weird to me that Lane CENTERING is one of the best cruise controls I've used, actually wowed me. It handles things like widening exit lanes and rainy seattle days, where other cars have suffered (autopilot, cough). However, the lane KEEPING which is doing a very similar function, is one of the worst features i've used.
There are many factors that effect the performance of the lane keeping including the condition of the road, how the line markings are, the speed limit on the road etc. It is very well explained in the Ownerā€™s Manual.
Really, Iā€™m shocked when any of this tech works at allā€¦the highway markings here in CA are so bad, even I sometimes have trouble seeing where the lanes are.
There are many factors that can effect the performance of the Lane Keeping Aid. This is from the Canadian Owner Manual:

Ford Bronco Sport Difference between lane keeping and lane centering BE23A9D4-31A7-4824-BCF0-A6FD32017404

OP
OP

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
There are many factors that effect the performance of the lane keeping including the condition of the road, how the line markings are, the speed limit on the road etc. It is very well explained in the Ownerā€™s Manual.

There are many factors that can effect the performance of the Lane Keeping Aid. This is from the Canadian Owner Manual:

Ford Bronco Sport Difference between lane keeping and lane centering BE23A9D4-31A7-4824-BCF0-A6FD32017404
Yeah I have read the manual. That's why I noted the 40mph min speed for lane keeping. I'm bringing this up because on the same highway I can lane center and it works great, but i turn cruise control off and I don't feel any vibration or torque. I have checked that it is set to alert + aid and the lines are white (meaning lane keeping conditions are met). Obviously the steering wheel works since lane centering works really well.
The question is mostly, how haptic is the vibration? Should it be really easy to feel? Maybe i'm not sensitive enough. Also is the performance drastically different with keeping the car centered in the lane between lane centering and lane keeping system. I don't understand why the behavior isn't more similar between the two systems..

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My lane keeping definitely works most of the time, (where it turns yellow and redirects with the wheel)

Lane centering...do we have that? I'm a BL+BL. 360, everything. It may have been just too hot a day at work that I don't recall seeing GREEN on the lanes on the display.

OP
OP

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
My lane keeping definitely works most of the time, (where it turns yellow and redirects with the wheel)

Lane centering...do we have that? I'm a BL+BL. 360, everything. It may have been just too hot a day at work that I don't recall seeing GREEN on the lanes on the display.
Lane centering works with cruise control. The button to toggle it is on the left half of the steering wheel with the other cruise control settings.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
my only experience with lane keeping is "her" 2020 Escape. to me it lets you get too close to the line before reacting to be of much use to me.

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Lane centering works with cruise control. The button to toggle it is on the left half of the steering wheel with the other cruise control settings.
Sooooo after I replied to your post it was right at quittin' time and I looked it up cause I knew I hadn't seen that GREEN lane on my display...Holy crap that's cool. I used it all the way home and it worked like a dream. I did have the lane keeping assist on at the same time. I DID notice two things. First that with the Centering on, my BL never gave the keeping assist the opportunity to engage. Now twice when I felt like the centering wasn't PERFECTLY centered I turned the wheel back a little too hard and in yellow CANCELLED came across the display and then my keeping did it's normal job. So is that what you're experiencing? That the keeping never engages cause the car does a great job staying centered? I couldn't recreate the issue cause like I said, it would cancel the centering if I pulled the wheel and keeping picked right up.

OP
OP

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
ok I ran some tests and it seems as though everything is active.
just the lane keeping is REALLY gentle. and the vibration only activates when your car is about halfway out the lane.

I can quite easily drift out of a lane even with lane keeping active, but i do feel it torque a little if I pay close attention.

Just writing this to see if this matches with other people's experience. I wish the lane keeping was more sensitive, at least to bring it closer to the lane centering system when cruise control is active because that system is great.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
One of the very best features that the Sport has over over vehicles similar to it is the lane centering, unlike everything Jeep except the Grand Cherokee. Lane keeping is hot garbage in every car I've used it on.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
Iā€™ve found that the lane centering is ok for interstate type highways but on curvy country roads it sucks. Just another feature that I think is unneeded, as I feel the more features a car has to make you a ā€œsaferā€ driver, in reality makes you a worse driver as you tend to rely on the car to drive for you. Maybe Iā€™m just old school ?ā€ā™‚

T-81 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Just writing this to see if this matches with other people's experience. I wish the lane keeping was more sensitive, at least to bring it closer to the lane centering system when cruise control is active because that system is great.
Matches my experience exactly. Lane centering with the cruise works great. It's not overly intrusive and doesn't fight you like some cars I've driven. I like to use the whole lane when I drive (ie. drive on the left side of the lane when I'm in the left lane, drive to the right side of the lane in the right lane, follow Nascar lane position on curves, etc). Lane centering doesn't overly fight me and lets me move as long as I'm in control. Lane keep (above 40) does nothing. It shuts itself off and cancels all the time as I drive to the point where it's not useful at all. I just have it turned off.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Iā€™ve found that the lane centering is ok for interstate type highways but on curvy country roads it sucks. Just another feature that I think is unneeded, as I feel the more features a car has to make you a ā€œsaferā€ driver, in reality makes you a worse driver as you tend to rely on the car to drive for you. Maybe Iā€™m just old school ?ā€ā™‚
hey I'm old school too but sure enjoy the adaptive cruise. what were the lane centering issues on your Bronco Sport?

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
hey I'm old school too but sure enjoy the adaptive cruise. what were the lane centering issues on your Bronco Sport?
Iā€™m bad to steer into the apex of the curve so itā€™s a constant fight with the lane centering aid. the steering wheel is constantly vibrating on the narrow windy roads we have in the country around here lol. But I will admit the adaptive cc is nice. our sport doesnā€™t have it but we had an escape with it. itā€™s great until youre on the interstate and look down and youā€™re going 60 because of the slowpoke in front of you ?
Sponsored