Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Disable auto stop start,
The GOAT modes are as useful as tits on a boar,
Loose the GOAT completely,
Tune my buggy to shift halfway between normal and sport mode.
If I need more off road grunt I’ll toggle LOW and rev a little above 1800 rpm.
I wish that would have been the BASE model setup.
Economy and performance should ride in the drivers right foot like back in the day.
All these toys and crap are smoke and mirrors, just more stuff waiting to break.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Disable auto stop start,
Tune my buggy to shift halfway between normal and sport mode.
If I need more off road grunt I’ll toggle LOW and rev a little above 1800 rpm.
I wish that would have been the BASE model setup.
Economy and performance should ride in the drivers right foot like back in the day.
All these toys and crap are smoke and mirrors, just more stuff waiting to break.
"Harumph," said the growly bear... :crackup:

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
I've had my OB since February and never drive in Eco mode to get better MPG's. I didn't buy my BS OB for gas mileage but for those who did I hope that the Eco mode helps!

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I've had my OB since February and never drive in Eco mode to get better MPG's. I didn't buy my BS OB for gas mileage but for those who did I hope that the Eco mode helps!
It helps a bit in my BL. I wouldn't call it "game-changing" but with recent gas prices an increase is an increase is an increase.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I beg to differ. May sources have claimed that GOAT modes are very useful for those with less than stellar/or novice users. Even those more experienced can simply switch to a GOAT mode and let the vehicle do the 'thinking'. Obviously, you're far more experienced than many of us with off roading so you can dial in your own settings manually. For those, myself included, without that real-world experience, we use GOAT to help us and it seems to do ok.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/bronco-goat-modes-explained
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2022-ford-bronco-driving-modes-explained/
https://www.consumerreports.org/suvs/what-to-know-about-the-all-new-ford-bronco-a3790433538/

HotChicken

Big Bend
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm pretty disappointed overall with the BS MPG. I pay attention to driving smoothly and I'm still praising the heavens when I can get 24 MPG city. It's a little embarrassing that Ford has put such a weak emphasis on efficiency. I mean, mine's a 2021 and it's a 3 cylinder (edited!) - it shouldn't be this bad.

Both for my wallet and for a reasonable planet I want my kid to enjoy, I kick in to eco mode every time unless traffic is wild or I'm super late and it's sporty-sport time. It's a mild improvement, so tiny hooray for that, I suppose.

Last edited:

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I'm pretty disappointed overall with the BS MPG. I pay attention to driving smoothly and I'm still praising the heavens when I can get 24 MPG city. It's a little embarrassing that Ford has put such a weak emphasis on efficiency. I mean, mine's a 2021 and it's a 4 cylinder - it shouldn't be this bad.

Both for my wallet and for a reasonable planet I want my kid to enjoy, I kick in to eco mode every time unless traffic is wild or I'm super late and it's sporty-sport time. It's a mild improvement, so tiny hooray for that, I suppose.

Big Bend model has a 3 cylinder engine . Our OB gets 28mpg in city driving , have not went on a highway trip yet & m ay not , now that I have a MB Sprinter based 4x4 RV .

I believe "Normal " setting is is normal for most owners . The GOAT is a sales gimmick .Using ECO mode lowered our MPG , could be my wife's lead foot though LOL

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, mine's a 2021 and it's a 4 cylinder - it shouldn't be this bad.
I'm confused; your profile shows your model as Big Bend, which is equipped with the 3-cyl. Do you have two Bronco Sports?

Like all engineering exercises, the Bronco Sport is an exercise in tradeoffs. You want a taller vehicle with boxy lines? That's gonna impact fuel economy.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Using ECO mode lowered our MPG , could be my wife's lead foot though LOL
It could be her lead foot if she's mashing the gas to compensate for Eco mode's altered shift points.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm pretty disappointed overall with the BS MPG. I pay attention to driving smoothly and I'm still praising the heavens when I can get 24 MPG city.
My 2.0 doesn't struggle to get 24 city at all but I struggle to get over 30 highway. Are you constantly hauling a full vehicle? As I suggested further upthread, I get better city driving in Normal because of the long sluggish starts where I have to stay on the gas. The instant-mileage screen stays down in the teens until I let off and cruise.

The GOAT is a sales gimmick .Using ECO mode lowered our MPG , could be my wife's lead foot though LOL
It has to be a driver thing. My Eco seems to pay off on a highway drive with minimal speedups and slowdowns. It seems to hurt repeatedly going from 0-30 or 0-45 which is how most Oregon cities go. If I'm just going to do some stops downtown, I just leave it in Normal. If I'm getting on the highway or one of our expressway/parkway roads that are posted 45-55 and have a long space between lights, I will go to Eco.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2.0 doesn't struggle to get 24 city at all but I struggle to get over 30 highway.
Wind drag is by far the biggest factor affecting fuel economy on the highway. Tall, boxy designs don't do well at highway speeds.
If I'm getting on the highway or one of our expressway/parkway roads that are posted 45-55 and have a long space between lights, I will go to Eco.
ECO mode saves fuel by reducing throttle response and changing transmission shift points to keep the engine at the lowest possible RPM. These strategies result in slower (most would say sluggish) acceleration. On the highway you are cruising at a constant speed in the highest gear, so the fuel saving strategies employed by ECO mode are moot.

Independent testing has proven what you and Josh already know about ECO mode; it doesn't really provide any fuel savings if you must keep up with traffic. The driver simply steps harder on the pedal, which results in the same power demand and higher-RPM upshifts as you would get if you stayed in NORMAL mode.

My personal testing has demonstrated that for my use characteristics (60/40 highway/city) ECO mode makes no difference. I can see ECO mode improving mileage if you drive exclusively in town in light traffic and are willing to let traffic flow around you. Then again, you can accomplish the same thing by simply not stepping on the pedal as hard in NORMAL mode.

Last edited:

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
The noise from the sport mode is actually pretty good sounding. Doesn't sound to synthetic. Also, if the stereo is playing it doesn't get louder when you turn up the volume. To me it kind of sounds like a inline 4/6 cylinder engine, to be frank quite realistic. Doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like the sound.

No way would I want it to default to ecomode. The car is way to lethargic. After driving BMW X3s around and how snappy the auto is in those things. I wish I could put it in Sport mode upon startup and don't have to deal with that silly start/stop.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
My 2.0 doesn't struggle to get 24 city at all but I struggle to get over 30 highway. Are you constantly hauling a full vehicle? As I suggested further upthread, I get better city driving in Normal because of the long sluggish starts where I have to stay on the gas. The instant-mileage screen stays down in the teens until I let off and cruise.

It has to be a driver thing. My Eco seems to pay off on a highway drive with minimal speedups and slowdowns. It seems to hurt repeatedly going from 0-30 or 0-45 which is how most Oregon cities go. If I'm just going to do some stops downtown, I just leave it in Normal. If I'm getting on the highway or one of our expressway/parkway roads that are posted 45-55 and have a long space between lights, I will go to Eco.

Agreed on the hwy mileage. I just did a trip to San Diego and averaged 26.6mpg round trip and that included tooling around San Diego. I got almost 30mpg on the hwy on the trip down there.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
I agree with everyone’s thoughts. I have used eco mode on my transit connect, F250 and BS. All are sluggish when accelerating on the freeway. Not good.Especially the F250.
Best to switch back to normal. For the TC…it’s a button on the dash…just click it OFF and it stays off.
The F250 will ask me once a day if I want to stay in ECO….then after every stop it automatically does ECO.

ECO mode works best when doing our routes in neighborhoods.

We gas up with 91 and that gives us 2 MPG more than 87 would. That works out to 1 or 2 days extra before need to refill. We are under load all the time.
Not the BS though..just people….although sometimes I take on small repair jobs…much to my wife’s chagrin.
Sponsored