bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
There are a lot of misconceptions about Ford's sound systems here. Let's clear a few up.

The symposer was a mechanical device that piped induction noises into the cabin on the Focus ST and (I believe) the Mustang GT. Deleting it was a fairly involved process of removing the device and plugging the hole it left in the induction system.

Active Sound Management is a Bose product. It incorporates a vehicle's sound system to eliminate unwanted engine sounds AND enhance desirable ones. To reduce overall cabin noise the system uses the same active noise cancelling technology used in Bose's line of consumer headphones. In addition, it generates noises for EV's to give drivers more traditional audio cues.

Ford uses a modified version of Bose's system in many of its vehicles. It incorporates active noise cancelling (ANC) and engine sound enhancement (ESE). Both of these features use the speakers in the car. The ANC "listens" to the cabin noise with a series of microphones, then broadcasts via the speakers sound at specific frequencies 180 degrees out of phase to the sounds picked up by the microphones. The ESE is a programmed sound broadcast through the speakers to enhance the engine noises. Implementation is different for each vehicle. For the Mustang EcoBoost, designers claimed it was never meant to make the four-pot sound like a V8, it used recordings of the four-pot noises and amplified specific frequencies to make it sound "better."

ESE is a feature many automakers are using. The reason? Cool engine noises in the cabin typically mean a vehicle will not pass DOT noise restrictions. The solution is to make the noise inside the cabin with the speakers instead of outside the cabin with actual loud engine noises.

Now that you know all that, what about the Bronco Sport? I don't believe anyone has definitively determined if Ford implemented either of these systems for the BS, but given how quiet my car is on the highway I'm inclined to believe it at least uses ANC. If Ford has implemented these systems for the BS then it will likely have both ANC and ESE, and the two systems are integrated into the sound system. To disable ESE will require computer code modification using FORSCAN. The problem is I do not believe you can disable ESE without ALSO disabling ANC, at least I couldn't on my Mustang EcoBoost.

So you have a choice: Disable ESE and ANC and give up your quiet cabin on the highway, or keep ESE and live with the "fake engine sounds" in Sport mode. I don't use Sport mode, so I know the right answer for me.
Very well elaborated, but it sounds like what I said just explained. It's introducing engine bay noise you would normally not hear in the cabin via the audio speakers. In essence, it's real in the engine bay but 'fake' in the cabin.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I think I read someplace that only the upgraded B&O system does the fake noise so maybe that's why some hear it and some don't. It's absolutely there.

I wouldn't hate an Eco default, but I probably wouldn't set that. I find I get the same/better mileage in Normal if I am doing lots of short, slow trips through town and stoplights. Eco really shines when it's flat or open road. I used Sport for a purpose exactly one time. The Bronco is fast, but there are still a lot of faster cars and racing is just pointless.
Your take is interesting. I assumed Eco would provide the most benefit in stop and go traffic versus open road. On an open road your car will naturally sit in 7/8th gear, negating Eco's 'economical' shift points and starting in 2nd gear versus 1st.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I think I read someplace that only the upgraded B&O system does the fake noise so maybe that's why some hear it and some don't. It's absolutely there.

I wouldn't hate an Eco default, but I probably wouldn't set that. I find I get the same/better mileage in Normal if I am doing lots of short, slow trips through town and stoplights. Eco really shines when it's flat or open road. I used Sport for a purpose exactly one time. The Bronco is fast, but there are still a lot of faster cars and racing is just pointless.
I don’t have the B&O sound system so perhaps that’s my excuse. In any case, I spent another hour on the road herding my goats this morning. Definitely like sport better than ECO, but normal is just fine for me “normally”.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Your take is interesting. I assumed Eco would provide the most benefit in stop and go traffic versus open road. On an open road your car will naturally sit in 7/8th gear, negating Eco's 'economical' shift points and starting in 2nd gear versus 1st.
I didn't do a scientific study, I just watch the instant economy bar. With the extra lug and pedal it takes to get going from a complete stop in Eco, the bar stays down in the teens longer than in Normal on a series of lights. Or maybe I need to drive differently to take advantage of it. I get 28-30mpg on my all-highway driving trips. I get about 24 with minimal highway driving. I always disable the auto-stop right away or after one shutdown.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
BL with B&O speakers here and I also hear the fake engine noise clear as day.

I would appreciate being able to set my default to eco because it's one of the first things I do every time I drive. Occasionally I forget to switch but I realize it before I make it to my first stop sign. The difference in acceleration is pretty noticable.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Mark, do you hear a V8 in Sport mode? I know you say you don’t use it and I don’t as well but I can’t hear a V8 when I stomp on it in Sport mode.
I cannot hear the ESE in my Badlands. I do not have the B&O system. Interestingly, I checked the wife's Escape, which DOES have the B&O. I can clearly hear the ESE in SPORT mode in her car. So, either ESE is limited to cars with the B&O system, or the base sound system isn't capable enough to produce ESE at audible levels—at least for me.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Only Badlands and First Edition, when equipped with B&O audio, have the fake engine sounds.

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
2022 Badlands here with B&O sound system... can not hear this!

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
I like the idea of choosing a default mode. I'd probably choose Eco because of the times we're in. What would be even better though is being able to lock out other modes in case someone else is taking the BS out. Sport mode on the Badlands is sporty enough to get a speed happy teenage driver in trouble really fast. It would also be a bummer to find out that the significant other was driving on the highway in Sand Mode and didn't realize it. A lockout could prevent unnecessary trips to the service dept., police station, hospital and funeral home.

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I like the idea of choosing a default mode. I'd probably choose Eco because of the times we're in. What would be even better though is being able to lock out other modes in case someone else is taking the BS out. Sport mode on the Badlands is sporty enough to get a speed happy teenage driver in trouble really fast. It would also be a bummer to find out that the significant other was driving on the highway in Sand Mode and didn't realize it. A lockout could prevent unnecessary trips to the service dept., police station, hospital and funeral home.
Doesn't MyKey sort of solve some of those issues?

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
Doesn't MyKey sort of solve some of those issues?
Oh it does? I never looked into it. This is such a great place to learn:like: I’ll have to check it out. Thanks

GaryCN

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
Seattle (basically) to Los Angeles in Normal Mode - 30+ mpg
Los Angeles to Seattle in Eco Mode - 27-28 mpg
Both ways on 87 octane.

Last fill up at 1/2 a tank, I put in 92 octane. Averaging 24-26 in mixed (City and highway) driving.
I’d be interested in what thekingprawn is getting. We both live about the same distance from Silverdale and Bremerton. Dustin?

I think I’ll stick with Normal for long drives, but will definitely try out Eco in city on my next trip, as I was getting crappy mileage in CA.

I have the B&O sound system, so will check out Sport mode the next time I go out.
Sponsored