Catalytic Converter Protection

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Catalytic Converter theft is a serious problem here in the Bay Area, as it is in many urban areas. Higher ground clearance vehicles are particularly targeted because they’re easy to crawl under.

One of my customers recently bought 2 brand new Fuso box trucks, and within a week had the cats stolen off both of them...to the tune of $20,000 (4 large converters plus labor).

Anyone found a way to deter cat thieves? We don’t have a garage.
Sponsored

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Ford Bronco Sport Catalytic Converter Protection 1621091157928

Ford Bronco Sport Catalytic Converter Protection 1621091002354

This sign and Smith & Wesson works for me. :cool:

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
New Ford Perimeter Plus Vehicle Security module adds an effective layer of anti-theft protection to your Ford vehicle. This new accessory contains features not available from the factory and is specifically designed to protect against the theft of contents and accessories in your vehicle.
  • No cut, no splice vehicle integration.
  • Adjustable, 2-stage shock/impact sensor.
  • Arms and disarms with the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the factory key, door-mounted keypad or with ignition key ON.
  • Upgrade to One-Way or Bi-Directional remote start.
  • Upgrade to Remote Access.
  • May qualify for insurance discounts.
$200

https://accessories.ford.com/electronic-module-10670.html

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is there a skid plate that could be installed to go over the cat?

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
I believe there’s an invisible paint that can be painted on and later traced? But you would need to acquire the stolen property first. So cameras are a good option, parking it in your driveway, any size dog that barks, motion sensor tied to a sprinkler system. I saw that on youtube. A Sting ? operation would also work.

Don’t park it on the street. Your driveway is a better option. outdoor cameras are a good deterrent, along with no trespassing signs posted On your windows. Also a fence around your property keeps things safe with a noisy Pit Bull ?. Thieves don’t want to get seen, get bitten or get caught. Once they have been notified in writing they know the downside. Prison is college for criminal, make no mistake. Also, you don’t know what their intentions are at the dead of night, other than ”not up to good.” A mechanics tool in hand at 2AM could look like a weapon?

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Where is the cat located? A lot of vehicles nowadays have it up in the engine bay. If it's tucked up there I wouldn't worry about it.

Group_44

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Platinum,80 Triumph TR8, 69 Jag XKE 2+2
Ford Bronco Sport Catalytic Converter Protection range

I like this method

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
It only takes 2-3 minutes to remove one, depending on if you need a jack. It's very difficult to catch them. It's mostly an issue in dense urban areas so they can hit a lot of cars at once.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
I just posted this in the sponsors marketplace, but I'll repeat it here as well:
Just received my JCR CAT skid yesterday (thank you!) and installed it today. A couple of minor issues to report. None of the Nut Tabs had the nuts captivated (which sort of defeats the purpose of them). I had to superglue the nuts to the tabs and luckily it held well enough during the installation. I also received eleven 5/16-18 nuts and one 1/4" nut, necessitating a trip to the hardware store for another 5/16" nut. I also didn't receive any washers for the bolts on the two front holes and two rear bracket holes. The bolt heads are smaller than the slot holes in those locations, so washers are required. It seems like there would be enough wiggle room to have those particular slots narrower with everything loose prior to tightening things down. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. Cheers!
Sponsored