Bronco Sport or Maverick?

CletusVanDam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
As some people have mentioned, the choice for me would be between Bronco Sport and Ranger if looking to upgrade to a truck from small SUV, crossover type vehicle.

Though, getting what I want in a Ranger would be pretty pricey compared to Bronco Sport.

If you want an entertaining sidetrack, check out the foreign versions of Rangers. If we could get a Ranger Wildtrak in the US, I'd probably do it.

South African Ford site, fun to "build and price" stuff: https://www.ford.co.za/
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The more I see the Maverick the more I like it. To me it seems to be a much more useful everyday vehicle to do things with.

Cjdicesare

Outer Banks
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks and Lincoln MKC
How about a third choice?

Ranger.

We have a BS BL and a Ranger XLT Tremor. For us, the perfect combo. For a number of reasons, never even considered the Maverick. Your Outback paired with a Ranger might be worth considering.
Isnā€™t the ranger selling for something like $25,000 above msrp right now? My dealer had one midrange ranger and they were asking $60,000 for it,

Sojourner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Isnā€™t the ranger selling for something like $25,000 above msrp right now? My dealer had one midrange ranger and they were asking $60,000 for it,
Maybe 2024s? Don't know. But I do know I paid a little below MSRP for my 2023 last Summer.

hellb0y

Big Bend
First Name
Hellish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
The Tremer Maverick is comparable to the Badlands in capability and drive feel. I too am a truck man so see the appeal. I would say that if your doing more off-road the badlands being shorter is a little more...maneuverable and doesn't get hung up, but if your smart it can go anyplace the Badlands goes. I think visually the front of the Maverick is a lot to be desired...if they put the front of the bronco onto the maverick and they'd have a visually stunning truck where they would have to beat buyers off with a stick.

Now I love our Bronco Sports, they are fun to drive, but my personal choice would be the Tremor Lariat Maverick. However I would add some extras to it, like a hard cover and tailgate lock. Also I'm a sucker for a moon roof. My build out came to $42,000. So actually was cheaper then the BS Badlands buildout with the same features. You can of course get cheaper, but hey go big or go home on the maverick I feel. The problem was the wait time for me. But driving my friends and the test drive and the little off road I got to try was awesome. When I decided the timing is right I will likely be jumping ship. Unless of course they can figure out how to merge the badlands and Maverick into a bronco small truck, that's the dream
Sorry but itā€™s not really comparable - we can start talking about ground clearance, the Maverick Tremor has almost a full inch more than the Badlandsā€¦

OP - I have both, and a Bronco Saq + F150 limitedā€¦

the BS is just a highly equipped BB, and the Maverick is a Tremorā€¦.

Iā€™d go with the Maverick Tremor, your money will also hold more value there than in the BS. Also consider a Ranger, maybe XLT? That 2.3 engine is very reliable.

I would also wait a few more months since both are getting a refreshā€¦

Cjdicesare

Outer Banks
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks and Lincoln MKC
Sorry but itā€™s not really comparable - we can start talking about ground clearance, the Maverick Tremor has almost a full inch more than the Badlandsā€¦

OP - I have both, and a Bronco Saq + F150 limitedā€¦

Iā€™d go with the Maverick Tremor, your money will also hold more value there than in the BS. Also consider a Ranger, maybe XLT? That 2.3 engine is very reliable.

I would also wait a few more months since both are getting a refreshā€¦
Really, your big smoking gun was ground clearance? Wowā€¦ yeah driving down the turnpike that inch is going to really change the feel! It must feel like driving a smart car vs 18 wheeler.

hellb0y

Big Bend
First Name
Hellish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Really, your big smoking gun was ground clearance? Wowā€¦ yeah driving down the turnpike that inch is going to really change the feel! It must feel like driving a smart car vs 18 wheeler.
oh many othersā€¦some other examples: interior is better designed; seats have much better thigh support than the BS, etcā€¦

honestly the only downfall for the current Maverick is that stupid screen design with the cubbie - but that will be fixed for 25!

OP
OP
Magnato1

Magnato1

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks, everyone, for your replies and insight.

I think I also forgot to mention that I test drove a 2024 Badlands and a 2024 Maverick Lariat this weekend. I really liked both and I was particularly surprised by how much more power the 2.0L has over the 1.5L. It's night and day. The Maverick cabin definitely felt smaller, but when you look at the dimensions on Ford's website, I think it must have to do with the fact that there isn't a storage space behind the rear seats and that makes the cabin feel smaller.

@hellb0y, @TNFurb @Jumbo1953 @MAGPLM, do you eventually get used to the fact that you cannot see the bed in your rearview mirror? I found this really strange. I have had Toyota, Chevy, and Ford pickups and you can always see the bed easily in the rearview mirror, so you know where the back of the vehicle is.

I test drove a Ranger a few weeks back and I liked it, but they're pricey (out of my price range) and the MPG really drops from a Maverick to a Ranger. My mom tagged along with me and she said the back seat of the Ranger was really uncomfortable compared to my BS. If I could get a Ranger Raptor for $50k, I might consider it. They don't offer a Tremor for 2024.

I have been leaning toward the Maverick so we have one SUV and one truck. I've been going back and forth between the Tremor and FX4. I like that the FX4 has the towing package, but I don't really tow anything. I like that the Tremor has more clearance and the advanced 4wd system that the the Badlands has, but then, if I am going to be offroading, I should just get the Badlands because the shorter wheelbase and better angles will be better.

Still struggling with this one, šŸ˜¬

TNFurb

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport

I think I also forgot to mention that I test drove a 2024 Badlands and a 2024 Maverick Lariat this weekend. I really liked both and I was particularly surprised by how much more power the 2.0L has over the 1.5L. It's night and day. The Maverick cabin definitely felt smaller, but when you look at the dimensions on Ford's website, I think it must have to do with the fact that there isn't a storage space behind the rear seats and that makes the cabin feel smaller.

@hellb0y, @TNFurb @Jumbo1953 @MAGPLM, do you eventually get used to the fact that you cannot see the bed in your rearview mirror? I found this really strange. I have had Toyota, Chevy, and Ford pickups and you can always see the bed easily in the rearview mirror, so you know where the back of the vehicle is.

I test drove a Ranger a few weeks back and I liked it, but they're pricey (out of my price range) and the MPG really drops from a Maverick to a Ranger. My mom tagged along with me and she said the back seat of the Ranger was really uncomfortable compared to my BS. If I could get a Ranger Raptor for $50k, I might consider it. They don't offer a Tremor for 2024.

I have been leaning toward the Maverick so we have one SUV and one truck. I've been going back and forth between the Tremor and FX4. I like that the FX4 has the towing package, but I don't really tow anything. I like that the Tremor has more clearance and the advanced 4wd system that the the Badlands has, but then, if I am going to be offroading, I should just get the Badlands because the shorter wheelbase and better angles will be better.

I have a soft tonneau installed so I donā€™t see inside the bed anyway. But I can see the tonneau in my rearview mirror. Iā€™ve not noticed that itā€™s any different from my previous two trucks which were a Ridgeline and a Canyon before that. And yes the 2.0L has more power for sure. I can say though that in my hybrid lariat Mav, Iā€™ve never felt like I needed more power. I can merge onto interstates easily even in eco mode. Putting it in sport gives it a little more oomph. Good luck with your decision. Itā€™s a tough one. I think it will come down to how much you want a pickup bed, and then how important gas mileage is.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport

I seen a Ford Raptor Ranger at a Ford Dealership yesterday very nice truck but the MSRP was $60K.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
If your plans for a truck involve towing keep in mind the Maverick Tremor can tow less than the Badlands. Additionally, if your plans involve off road driving be sure to compare the approach, departure, and breakover angles between the Maverick and Bronco Sport.
Good points Mark. I drive an F-150, so that handles my haul/tow needs.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It's .6 inches, but that's only one of several important numbers. The Maverick Tremor has 30.7Ā° approach, 22.2Ā° departure, and 19.9Ā° breakover angles. The Badlands has 30.4Ā° approach, 33.1Ā° departure, and 20.4Ā° breakover angles. Further, the Maverick is 83.5" wide, while the Badlands is 82.2.

I think it's safe to say a skilled driver could overcome the small differences between these two vehicles in most off-road situations.

I don't get the significance of this statement. It seems to me the Maverick Tremor is just a highly equipped Maverick. From what I've read the Maverick Tremor has much the same suspension and driveline components as the Badlands. What am I missing?

For my money, if I were going to buy a truck I would not consider the Maverick Tremor. One of the primary benefits of truck ownership is towing capability. In this area the Badlands bests the Maverick Tremor by 200 lbs. The only small truck I would consider would be the Ranger; I agree with your assessment of the 2.3L EcoBoost. It's a little jewel of an engine.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I like that the Tremor has more clearance and the advanced 4wd system that the the Badlands has, but then, if I am going to be offroading, I should just get the Badlands because the shorter wheelbase and better angles will be better.
See my post above regarding angles. I really don't think there's enough of a difference between the two to say one is more off-road capable than the other. You can say the Badlands will get into and out of tighter spaces than the Maverick, but most of the time in situations like that you can simply go around obstacles you can't go over.

One thing I haven't checked is dynamic load limit for the Maverick Tremor's roof. You may be able to carry more weight up top, making the Maverick a better choice for overlanding.

hellb0y

Big Bend
First Name
Hellish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS

oh yeah!! 100% - use the rear view camera and sensors, I donā€™t care if I can see the ā€œendā€ of the bed or not anymore, thanks to sensorsā€¦
Sponsored