First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Reminds me when my '88 5.0 had a warp in front rotors when new. No noise but vibration when brakes applied. Instead of spending countless never ending hours with incompetent dealer idiots who mess up your car anyway I took rotors off had shop true them up put on new pads been good for decades now.

Same with '09 Honda Pilot I bought brand new.
Rotors warped 20k miles and it was common on those vehicles. I bought upgraded rotors pads replaced myself never had problem again.

There is brake noise and there is brake noise. What is considered normal is subjective. Sounding like a tug boat horn in a harbor not normal in my opinion but what do I know. I have seen post where some dealers fix the noise. But majority of dealers say go away we are not lifting a finger we do not care one bit.

And yeah ppl all over the internet over and over and over again my brakes make noise brake recall should fix noise. You can say what you want those posts are not going anywhere. So get ready to keep hearing it over and over and over again. Brake noise recall fix my noise go to dealer talk about recall dealer won't fix ect ect ect ect....rinse and repeat.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Brake Squeal (in Reverse) received_457453879404793

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The recall fixed it for me.

Also, pro tip: if you are selling the car like I did because Carmax offered me stupid money, set it up so they do not have to back up when they take a test drive.

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Look, dude. It's an issue that has a lot of possible choices, and obviously you've chosen to fight it, including fight with everyone here telling you the same thing. Noise isn't a sign of failure or a recall or directly a warranty issue. The pads aren't "sub-standard" or "defective".
Obviously dude, you haven't read the NHTSA and Ford summary about the recall. To refresh:

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021-2022 Bronco Sport and Escape vehicles.
The rear brake linings may have been manufactured incorrectly, which can affect braking
performance. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor
Vehicle Safety Standard number 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems."

This means that they are indeed sub-standard and defective.

Is the noise annoying? Yeah, I bet. I've seen the videos. My old truck did something similar, but it was in forward. Real embarrassing at the drive-thru! Have you done anything to try and remedy it? Have you parked in a warm garage instead of outside? Do they still make the noise? Even tried to clean off the rotors with a $5 can of spray cleaner? My Bronco has only ever done that once, and it was when I parked outside in the cold and reversed out. Then it got the foghorn sound when I braked. It's even possible that the pads do this when new and will de-glaze and bed in over time and improve.
Does it both in Forward and Reverse although much more noticeable in reverse. Service department heard it while it was in their shop so temperature was not an issue.

On my Chevy truck, I once worked the brake shoes three times in 6 months due to noise and vibration issues. Did them myself. Then paid a shop to redo it. Then went somewhere else to have another shop fix it. A guy at a local tire shop was able to get them in juuuuust right so they quieted down.
Well this isn't a GM piece of crap, now is it!

New pads may or may not solve it. A brake job is what, $150? Like you said, you can't possibly need new rotors. See what the Ford dealership will replace the pads for. Halfsies/$75? If not one dealership, try another. But if you go into experiment territory, it's on your dime. I think the dealer would want to throw a bone to a new car buyer though. Tell your salesperson and let him advocate to the SM for you. Heck, if you're so convinced a new set of pads fixes it, then spend $75 at a cheap Jiffy Lube and be done with it. Or you can fight with Jiffy Lube if they still make the noise.
There are people in here bitching about "missing engine covers" and in all the years and amount of NEW Ford vehicles that I have owned this is the first that I am being given a hard time about covering something under the new car warranty. If you want to just throw your money around that is your decision.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
First, if you read the post correctly you would have seen that everyone agrees that it is not affected by the recall because of the difference in the brake boosters. What was agreed upon by all - INCLUDING FORD - is that the brake pads on my vehicle are the EXACT SAME ONES that are on the vehicles that ARE affected by the recall. Again - only difference is the brake booster.
It's not the booster type that determines recall applicability, it's whether or not the car is equipped with a vacuum sensor. My car has a vacuum brake booster and is not affected by the recall.

Second, the brake pads are NOT worn out they are brand F**g new!
I didn't say they are, I said Ford has a right to inspect them and make sure they are not worn out or otherwise damaged by something you did.

I already received notification from FORD in Dearborn, MI that they would NOT replace the brake pads just because of the squeal since it is a "Maintenance Item" and is NOT COVERED under the vehicle warranty.
Did you get this in writing? If so, can you please share a copy? I suspect there was a miscommunication. If Ford has already decided not to deal with the noise issue then why would your dealership tell you to bring it back in? A brake squeal CAN be an indication of worn out pads, and in that case Ford would be under no obligation to replace them. The only way to determine that would be an inspection.

Since everyone involved agrees that they are the same brake pads that are involved in the recall (again, even though I have a different brake booster) and Ford is replacing those pads, then I should be able to have my pads replaced due to the ABNOMAL noise from the brakes.
Again, these are two separate issues--one has nothing to do with the other. Further, the noise says nothing about the quality of the pads. Neither does the recall for that matter. BTW, there is a resolution process to follow (I posted a link earlier) if you believe Ford has reneged on it's warranty obligation, and it doesn't involve your dealership.

What it comes down to in the end is that all the brake pads during the affected time period are sub-standard.
This is patently false. I'm not going to explain the reason (published by both Ford and the NHTSA) for the recall again because it's been covered ad nauseum here. Suffice it to say if you believe your brake pads are inferior because of the pending recall then you simply haven't done enough research.

I'm going to make a prediction that when you take your car back to have the brakes inspected Ford will honor its warranty obligation. This noise is absolutely abnormal, and Ford should fix it. This is assuming, of course, that the inspection doesn't turn up some kind of damage or tampering with the brakes.

Please let us know how it turns out. A lot of people here are interested.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
So Whitenight gonna take it back to dealer again to see if they fix under warranty? Even though they already said they not fixing after first visit and Ford said not fixing? Do I have that right?

And Tigger says his brake noise was fixed by the recall? But Ford says parts for recall not available until end of Q2 and recall has nothing to do with noise? How does that happen?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Obviously dude, you haven't read the NHTSA and Ford summary about the recall. To refresh:
Everything I wrote is accurate and I refuse to be drawn in by a guy that just wants to argue with everything and everyone. Good luck getting it solved with that attitude.

OP
OP

Black Horse

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2009 F250, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Update: I finally was able to take the Bronco in for the front brake/oil seperator recall. At first they didnt want to warranty the rear brakes, but they are covered under the 1 year/18k mile. Luckily is was a chilly, wet day - the mechanic immediately heard the racket ( as did the service manager 3 bays away). Ford procedures had him turn the rotors and resurface the pads (I have no faith this will fix it long term). So far, no more noise. I'm hoping that as the pads bed it doesnt return as I will be well out of the warranty period. Fingers crossed.

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Update: I finally was able to take the Bronco in for the front brake/oil seperator recall. At first they didnt want to warranty the rear brakes, but they are covered under the 1 year/18k mile. Luckily is was a chilly, wet day - the mechanic immediately heard the racket ( as did the service manager 3 bays away). Ford procedures had him turn the rotors and resurface the pads (I have no faith this will fix it long term). So far, no more noise. I'm hoping that as the pads bed it doesnt return as I will be well out of the warranty period. Fingers crossed.
This is the exact same problem with the EcoSport I had, they turned the rotors but after a few days the problem came back.

That squeal would wake the dead when the humidity was high!

Anyhoo, traded for my BS, so far so good....... No noise in reverse, guess I got a Unicorn.. šŸ¦„

Lovin' my šŸ“ :thumbsup:

RyanB

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Just bought a 2022 Outer Banks less than a month ago (600 miles on it) and getting the ship fog horn noise every morning while backing up. I understand brakes making noise but I have never heard anything this loud. It's frankly quite embarrassing.

Took it into the dealer with multiple Ring camera videos that captured it and agreed it sounded abnormal. They had the car for days and said they couldn't replicate it and accused me of being a two footed driver (which I am not) and that is what is causing it. I don't know if Ford looks at these forums but there is definitely an issue and they need to address it with a recall.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Just bought a 2022 Outer Banks less than a month ago (600 miles on it) and getting the ship fog horn noise every morning while backing up. I understand brakes making noise but I have never heard anything this loud. It's frankly quite embarrassing.

Took it into the dealer with multiple Ring camera videos that captured it and agreed it sounded abnormal. They had the car for days and said they couldn't replicate it and accused me of being a two footed driver (which I am not) and that is what is causing it. I don't know if Ford looks at these forums but there is definitely an issue and they need to address it with a recall.

Hello! I'd like to take a closer look at your brake concerns. To get started, could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer?

Johnh

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport ob 10 flhtk
Same problem with mine ford could not find a problem itā€™s going in for 5k service will tell them again to check on that šŸ˜‚ I said others had the same problem just got dumb looks Oh weā€™ll have a good day

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
Same problem with mine ford could not find a problem itā€™s going in for 5k service will tell them again to check on that šŸ˜‚ I said others had the same problem just got dumb looks Oh weā€™ll have a good day
Same thing is happening to my momā€™s 2021 BSBB, she has taken it to local Ford deal twice and they even heard the noise (seems to only happen after it rains, and only one timeā€¦THE FIRST REVERSE IS THE LOUDEST **in Rod Stewart voice**) and canā€™t figure out how to fix itā€¦ā€¦ā€¦no answers

UgeneM

Big Bend
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My daughter and I both have 2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend editions and the brakes are noisy when backing up. It sounds like a blue whale. Of course the dealer stated they cannot replicate the issue even with multiple visits and leaving it over night. Has Ford created a technical article on this yet?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My daughter and I both have 2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend editions and the brakes are noisy when backing up. It sounds like a blue whale. Of course the dealer stated they cannot replicate the issue even with multiple visits and leaving it over night. Has Ford created a technical article on this yet?
Someone mentioned a rumor that Ford had issued a Tech Service Bulletin, but it's not been published online anywhere that I'm aware of. As much of a hassle as it is, about the only way to get your dealership service techs to properly diagnose a noise is for you to be there. That way when your car starts the blue whale mating calls they can't say they didn't hear it.
Sponsored