Brake Squeal (in Reverse)

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Someone mentioned a rumor that Ford had issued a Tech Service Bulletin, but it's not been published online anywhere that I'm aware of. As much of a hassle as it is, about the only way to get your dealership service techs to properly diagnose a noise is for you to be there. That way when your car starts the blue whale mating calls they can't say they didn't hear it.
I asked my service tech and he didn't see anything under that TSB number.

Not to say it's not there or doesn't exist, just he didn't initially locate it.
Sponsored

UgeneM

Big Bend
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
All the dealer suggested is record the noise and show them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
All the dealer suggested is record the noise and show them.
That's what you should do. You know better than anyone else when your car is likely to make that noise, so have you phone recording with the window down, or have someone else outside the car recording.

Americornv2

Big Bend
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Here is a tsb I found on prodemand for this issues. Scheduled our appointment for the warranty of this is feb(soonest we could get). Sorry for low quality photo. It was a quick lookup and grab off the computer.

Ford Bronco Sport Brake Squeal (in Reverse) B97F1BC8-4DFF-4611-820B-63A4CD0CA6B8

Cwong

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Try again or go to a different dealer. I had mine fixed using the same TSB number. They had trouble finding it at first but I was very firm. Took 3 weeks for the part to get in freight train sound is now gone. Took them 5 hours to replace.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Try again or go to a different dealer. I had mine fixed using the same TSB number. They had trouble finding it at first but I was very firm. Took 3 weeks for the part to get in freight train sound is now gone. Took them 5 hours to replace.
5 hours? I would think a competent experienced mechanic with the car on a lift and a shop full of high dollar tools could knock it out in one hour or so?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
5 hours? I would think a competent experienced mechanic with the car on a lift and a shop full of high dollar tools could knock it out in one hour or so?
It doesn’t mean they were working on it for 5 hours, just that it took that long before the vehicle was returned. I could do it in my garage in about an hour. I am making an assumption about the previous post in regards to the time. Since it is a warranty job, there would be no incentive for the shop to take longer to complete the work. In reality, shops make more money by doing jobs faster because they charge the customer by the book rate. Both the shop and the mechanic make more money when they do things faster, and hopefully do them right.

Suckydog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone just given up trying to get Ford to take care of it and gotten them fixed at a repair shop? Is that even possible? Do you need special parts or would it just take replacing the rotors and pads?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Has anyone just given up trying to get Ford to take care of it and gotten them fixed at a repair shop? Is that even possible? Do you need special parts or would it just take replacing the rotors and pads?
You shouldn't need new pads/rotors. The noise is a high-frequency vibration caused by a resonance between the pads and rotors. Most Some people think the brake pads do not touch the rotor unless you step on the brakes, but that's not the case; the pads are always touching the rotor. The noise occurs when the pads and/or rotor vibrates as the pads glide over the rotor. Think of how a violin works.

The solution to prevent the noise is to prevent the resonance. The kit supplied by Ford includes cleaning products and new guide pins, bushings, and grease. The guide pins and bushings are what keep the brake pads in the correct position as the caliper squeezes them, and Ford has apparently determined replacing them can prevent the resonance.

It's possible that replacing the pads and/or rotors will change the resonant qualities between the components enough to prevent the noise, but there's no guarantee. If you go down that path you'll be buying/replacing components until you find something that works. Obviously, Ford has already done this, and it has determined the least expensive route is replacing the components listed in the tech service bulletin.

For those wondering, driving your car when it makes that noise is not dangerous and does not cause any damage; it's just annoying. That's the primary reason this is being handled with a tech service bulletin instead of a recall.

Last edited:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
(IMO) New pads without new rotors will also lead to a slew of noise and handling issues. Tolerances are just too tight to machine them, even with an on-car lathe. If you care about the brake noise, I would either get the work done asap, or wait and get it when the car needs rotors anyhow. I also expect the noise to return when the pad gets re-worn down. The new pins and grease would even help the stock parts quiet down... for a while. It is a lousy single-piston caliper so the pad tends to wear more on one end than the other. This means the contact with the rotor is more /| than | |. There's your noisemaker.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I did it preemptively when my BS was delivered. I replaced the pads with ceramic pads with less than 150 miles. I replaced the rubber guide boots and greased the pins and back of the pads. I have not heard the noise since replacing the pads. I did hear it once in the short time before replacing.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
(IMO) New pads without new rotors will also lead to a slew of noise and handling issues.
If rotors arent warped and not groved you can rough them up with 180 grit sand paper and new pads will seat fine. But rotors have to be in good shape for that to work. I have done it a couple of times no noise brakes work fine.

Cwong

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
They did not prioritize my recall work. Typical dealership. Glad it came back same day. They stated they were backed up 🙄.

mmazz71

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Gray
I had the TSB performed on my 2021 OBX and it still moans. Service clerk told me there are many Ford vehicles the have that problem. I believe changing out the rotors and pads will eliminate this. Will Ford do that? Probably not.

bclarke68

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the TSB performed on my 2021 OBX and it still moans. Service clerk told me there are many Ford vehicles the have that problem. I believe changing out the rotors and pads will eliminate this. Will Ford do that? Probably not.
Our dealer replaced the pads and rotors, free of charge, lasted about 6 months, then the noise came back. Probably just as the perfect amount of wear on the rotor /pads creates this noise.
We rented a brand new one last week with 1200 miles on it, no noises in wet humid cold weather

Perhaps as they continue to wear down another 6 mo from now it will wear enough to stop.
Sponsored