Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
exactly.. I wasted my time when I brought it in. They said “no noise as customer states” I was like IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME I REVERSE. I figured I was SOL as they are saying my model isn’t in the recall even though it’s in the build date range of the recall and my brakes squell like it’s a 1960 bronco not a 2021…

all I can say is just FORD being FORD …
If it wasn't for the electric parking brake, I would put new pads on it myself. The electric parking brake makes it more difficult since you can't just pull of the caliper, replace the pads, and throw it back on. There is a whole procedure for disabling the parking brake system and I'm just not going to screw around with it.
Sponsored

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not following. How are they blowing it off if they've asked you to bring it in for diagnosis?
The service writer stated that he heard it but if it was just the pads squealing then it's not a warranty issue since my Badlands isn't "directly" affected by the recall but rather it's a maintenance item and I would have to pay to have them replaced.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
There is a whole procedure for disabling the parking brake system and I'm just not going to screw around with it.
Yes you have to know what you doing or could end up like guys on F150 forum caliper pistons pop out and then huge debacle.

I am at 1,600 miles and brakes quiet. Rear wheels spin free and easy when up on my lift no brake drag at all. Was kind of surprised how easy rear wheels spun most cars have a little drag from brake pads but not mine.

I wonder if folks with noise are rear brakes dragging not disengaging like maybe caliper pins need grease or something? Cause videos of noise I have heard posted up I don't know how brakes could make that much noise unless they are binding not letting go of their squeeze? I don't think that much noise is considered normal from what I heard on videos posted nope.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The service writer stated that he heard it but if it was just the pads squealing then it's not a warranty issue since my Badlands isn't "directly" affected by the recall but rather it's a maintenance item and I would have to pay to have them replaced.
I guess I must have missed something in reading through this thread. Did you take your car in to have the brakes serviced because of the noise they were making, or because you thought the recall might apply? The noisy brake issue many are reporting has never been associated with the recall. Ford's proposed solution for vehicles affected by the recall is to replace the rear brake pads with higher-friction pads to increase stopping power in the event of a brake booster failure. If your car is not subject to the recall that means you do not need higher-friction pads.

The kind of brake noise reported in this thread (and in other threads on this site) does not indicate a problem that will affect the brake's ability to stop the vehicle. It is definitely annoying, you absolutely should take the vehicle in to have it diagnosed, and it absolutely should NOT BE HAPPENING with a new vehicle under warranty. But there is no way a dealership is going to let you drive the car if there is any hint of a safety issue with the brakes.

Cangulo08

Outer Banks
First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this on my end.
No help what so ever. Basically telling me to do everything I've already gone and done. First Ford and will never go with Ford again.

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I must have missed something in reading through this thread. Did you take your car in to have the brakes serviced because of the noise they were making, or because you thought the recall might apply? The noisy brake issue many are reporting has never been associated with the recall. Ford's proposed solution for vehicles affected by the recall is to replace the rear brake pads with higher-friction pads to increase stopping power in the event of a brake booster failure. If your car is not subject to the recall that means you do not need higher-friction pads.

The kind of brake noise reported in this thread (and in other threads on this site) does not indicate a problem that will affect the brake's ability to stop the vehicle. It is definitely annoying, you absolutely should take the vehicle in to have it diagnosed, and it absolutely should NOT BE HAPPENING with a new vehicle under warranty. But there is no way a dealership is going to let you drive the car if there is any hint of a safety issue with the brakes.
I had it in for other reasons and asked them to look at the brake squeal also. Since it wasn't there for the brakes I was told to make another appointment. As I said before, they heard it making the noise but didn't want to touch it then. They also acknowledged that mine was built during the affected period of the recalled brakes and even though my brake pads are the exact same ones as the vehicles being recalled, I am not affected by the recall because of the type of brake booster. So what it comes down to is - if you have a vacuum brake booster you will get new brake pads for free and if you have an electronic brake booster you will have to pay. ????

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
No help what so ever. Basically telling me to do everything I've already gone and done. First Ford and will never go with Ford again.
Ford Bronco Sport Brake Squeal (in Reverse) 1644358382637

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what it comes down to is - if you have a vacuum brake booster you will get new brake pads for free and if you have an electronic brake booster you will have to pay. ????
I think you are conflating two different issues and making a premature assumption. First, your car is not affected by the recall, so Ford is not obligated to replace your brake pads pursuant to the recall. Second, Ford is not obligated to replace your noisy brake pads IF they are making noise because they are worn out. To make that determination it must inspect them. I get that it's frustrating they couldn't look at them while the car was in the shop, but that's not what you had it in there for, and they have other customers who expect their cars back on time.

If the inspection determines the pads are NOT worn out then the noise is abnormal and the repair--which may not require replacing the pads--should be covered by your warranty. If I were you I would pull a rear wheel off and take some photos of the brake pads before you take it back to the shop so the techs can't claim the pads are worn out.

Please let us know what Ford decides on this. A lot of people are interested.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
If I were you I would pull a rear wheel off and take some photos of the brake pads before you take it back to the shop so the techs can't claim the pads are worn out.
He took delivery Dec 9 2021 if those pads are worn on a car bought two months back I would be surprised.

We all know if moisture gets on rotors they flash rust and yes some noise normal. But sounding like a loud boat horn in a harbor causing ppl in area to turn and look does not seem normal to me. Sounds like excessive drag then they loosen up and noise goes away. I do not believe you are going to get a noise like that just by a little flash rust on rotors.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm convinced the parking brake is stuck until you drive it for a few seconds then it releases itself. I ONLY get that noise when reversing and after the car has been sitting for a long while. I think I read in the manual that my bronco has a electric parking brake that automatically engages on its own when I park the car.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He took delivery Dec 9 2021 if those pads are worn on a car bought two months back I would be surprised.
Me too. But if I were running the shop I wouldn't promise anything until I looked at the brakes. My ex-wife burned through a set of brakes on a brand new car in under 5000 miles, because she refused to drive without a foot on the brake pedal. Some owners do really stupid things to their cars, and Ford should not be responsible to fix damage when they do. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case, I'm just saying Ford has every right to inspect the components before agreeing to make repairs under warranty.

Assuming there is nothing else wrong with the brakes, I'm fairly confident that Ford will at least make SOME effort at dealing with this abnormal noise, and they'll do it under warranty. Hell, Ford fixes (or at least tries to fix) little rattles in the interior under warranty, so loud, honking brake noises should absolutely be covered as well.

The primary reason I posted on this particular case is to make clear that these abnormal brake noises people are reporting have nothing whatsoever to do with the pending recall. These are two separate problems that are related only because Ford's proposed resolution for the recall--which has yet to be approved as far as I know--involves replacing the rear brake pads with higher friction alternatives. It could very well turn out that the replacement pads will reduce or eliminate the noise, but that is not the intent of the recall, and cars with noisy brakes will not get new pads under this recall.

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you are conflating two different issues and making a premature assumption. First, your car is not affected by the recall, so Ford is not obligated to replace your brake pads pursuant to the recall.
First, if you read the post correctly you would have seen that everyone agrees that it is not affected by the recall because of the difference in the brake boosters. What was agreed upon by all - INCLUDING FORD - is that the brake pads on my vehicle are the EXACT SAME ONES that are on the vehicles that ARE affected by the recall. Again - only difference is the brake booster.

Second, Ford is not obligated to replace your noisy brake pads IF they are making noise because they are worn out. To make that determination it must inspect them. I get that it's frustrating they couldn't look at them while the car was in the shop, but that's not what you had it in there for, and they have other customers who expect there cars back on time.
Second, the brake pads are NOT worn out they are brand F**g new! They have less than 1,800 miles on them and are only 1-1/2 months old.

If the inspection determines the pads are NOT worn out then the noise is abnormal and the repair--which may not require replacing the pads--should be covered by your warranty. If I were you I would pull a rear wheel off and take some photos of the brake pads before you take it back to the shop so the techs can't claim the pads are worn out.
I already received notification from FORD in Dearborn, MI that they would NOT replace the brake pads just because of the squeal since it is a "Maintenance Item" and is NOT COVERED under the vehicle warranty. That is from Ford itself and not the dealership, and I seriously doubt that the dealership is going to eat the cost of the repair that Ford won't reimburse them for.

Please let us know what Ford decides on this. A lot of people are interested.
I think I have already let everyone know what Ford has decided, now I have to change the mindset at the dealership and get them to fight with Ford to get them replaced. Since everyone involved agrees that they are the same brake pads that are involved in the recall (again, even though I have a different brake booster) and Ford is replacing those pads, then I should be able to have my pads replaced due to the ABNOMAL noise from the brakes. The only difference that Ford is saying is that my brake booster could compensate for the bad pads so I can continue to use the vehicle. The main issue here is that the NHTSA did not say that Ford had to replace the defective brake pads on all the vehicles with BOTH types of boosters.

What it comes down to in the end is that all the brake pads during the affected time period are sub-standard.

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
First, if you read the post correctly you would have seen that everyone agrees that it is not affected by the recall because of the difference in the brake boosters. What was agreed upon by all - INCLUDING FORD - is that the brake pads on my vehicle are the EXACT SAME ONES that are on the vehicles that ARE affected by the recall. Again - only difference is the brake booster.

Second, the brake pads are NOT worn out they are brand F**g new! They have less than 1,800 miles on them and are only 1-1/2 months old.

I already received notification from FORD in Dearborn, MI that they would NOT replace the brake pads just because of the squeal since it is a "Maintenance Item" and is NOT COVERED under the vehicle warranty. That is from Ford itself and not the dealership, and I seriously doubt that the dealership is going to eat the cost of the repair that Ford won't reimburse them for.

I think I have already let everyone know what Ford has decided, now I have to change the mindset at the dealership and get them to fight with Ford to get them replaced. Since everyone involved agrees that they are the same brake pads that are involved in the recall (again, even though I have a different brake booster) and Ford is replacing those pads, then I should be able to have my pads replaced due to the ABNOMAL noise from the brakes. The only difference that Ford is saying is that my brake booster could compensate for the bad pads so I can continue to use the vehicle. The main issue here is that the NHTSA did not say that Ford had to replace the defective brake pads on all the vehicles with BOTH types of boosters.

What it comes down to in the end is that all the brake pads during the affected time period are sub-standard.
The brake pads are not bad, they are being replaced because of the booster fails a higher friction pad could help in stopping the vehicle quicker. Mine squeaks a little also and so does my sons jeep does the same down our driveway. My dealer told me bring it in and have it looked at. I’m doing that but he mentioned the parking brake on these vehicles are computer controlled and it’s more than likely the issue on backing out of a driveway.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL

Look, dude. It's an issue that has a lot of possible choices, and obviously you've chosen to fight it, including fight with everyone here telling you the same thing. Noise isn't a sign of failure or a recall or directly a warranty issue. The pads aren't "sub-standard" or "defective". Even on the recalled vehicles, the issue is that those exact pads used in that exact system took 30 extra feet to stop at 60mph with a brake failure. You can get all sorts of different quality brake pads. Maybe Ford did use something cheaper. They obviously are cheaping out on a great many things. But they were tested when the design was submitted for approval, and tested as adequate. Then Ford cheaped out on something. Sort of. They cheaped out on the vacuum sensor that was in short supply. Because the option was to quit building and quit selling, or take out what was seen as a non-vital part and keep building. Everyone knows what the corporate choice would be in that situation. Everyone. So the NHTSA retested the design without that part.... and didn't like the result. It's possible the recall repair doesn't even touch the wheels. They might just be adding the vacuum sensor back on and leaving the rest alone. In fact, that makes a lot more sense why there is an extended wait for parts, because parts stores and shops are totally flush with Bronco Sport brake pads RN. So, can't say for sure that recalled vehicles will be refitted with new pads. They might even get the recall work (June) and drive off with the same ol' honkers on the car.

Is the noise annoying? Yeah, I bet. I've seen the videos. My old truck did something similar, but it was in forward. Real embarrassing at the drive-thru! Have you done anything to try and remedy it? Have you parked in a warm garage instead of outside? Do they still make the noise? Even tried to clean off the rotors with a $5 can of spray cleaner? My Bronco has only ever done that once, and it was when I parked outside in the cold and reversed out. Then it got the foghorn sound when I braked. It's even possible that the pads do this when new and will de-glaze and bed in over time and improve.

On my Chevy truck, I once worked the brake shoes three times in 6 months due to noise and vibration issues. Did them myself. Then paid a shop to redo it. Then went somewhere else to have another shop fix it. A guy at a local tire shop was able to get them in juuuuust right so they quieted down. So noise isn't unique to Ford or the Bronco Sport. There's possibly/likely something more that could be done. Maybe the tech can sand the pad a bit and bed it in better (that's what the tire-guy did). Or maybe there is a rotor that is out of round. OR maybe they can put some anti-squeal on it and help. Or maybe the parking brake can be adjusted or lubed somehow? But you have to take it there for a diagnosis. They have to look into it, and that takes time and takes the car away from you for a day.

New pads may or may not solve it. A brake job is what, $150? Like you said, you can't possibly need new rotors. See what the Ford dealership will replace the pads for. Halfsies/$75? If not one dealership, try another. But if you go into experiment territory, it's on your dime. I think the dealer would want to throw a bone to a new car buyer though. Tell your salesperson and let him advocate to the SM for you. Heck, if you're so convinced a new set of pads fixes it, then spend $75 at a cheap Jiffy Lube and be done with it. Or you can fight with Jiffy Lube if they still make the noise.

TheDude

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2019 Mustang GT
Some noise is normal due to the type of pads and rotors used, but not ones that sound like a ship is arriving at a port. The sad part is unless your vehicle throws a code Ford and the dealerships tell you its operating as intended. They don't want to do anything.
Sponsored