Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
OK thank you for your opinion. That has been a help to me and others in the forum. Please do research on intelligent 4WD. My post was not patronizing. It was just to the point of people doing research and not trying to be sarcastic to catch someone to see if they know the difference. The picture you even posted is telling you what system we have which kind of contradicts your opinion.
Apologies for misinterpreting your intent.

my opinion was that the difference between AWD and 4WD is as simple as a manufacturers choice, despite it saying 4WD because people like you don’t want a subaru, it’s behaviour is more like an AWD.

My point was it was more to do with marketing than the actual performance of the vehicle.

what model do you have? I can only speak for the outer banks I have, I believe I have every extra available on an OB OB package, the OP had a big bend.

If you had the badlands that is an entirely different beast I know it’s has more rugged features like the transmission cooler and additional goat modes so I can see an more comprehensive argument for it being more 4wd but other than that I know very little about it due to the lack of availability in my area.

this comes from my experience working for jeep for several years.

also Carmax is a sales company they neither make or fix any vehicle and I wouldn’t consider them a good source for vehicle specifications.
Sponsored

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Apologies for misinterpreting your intent.

my opinion was that the difference between AWD and 4WD is as simple as a manufacturers choice, despite it saying 4WD because people like you don’t want a subaru, it’s behaviour is more like an AWD.

My point was it was more to do with marketing than the actual performance of the vehicle.

what model do you have? I can only speak for the outer banks I have, I believe I have every extra available on an OB OB package, the OP had a big bend.

If you had the badlands that is an entirely different beast I know it’s has more rugged features like the transmission cooler and additional goat modes so I can see an more comprehensive argument for it being more 4wd but other than that I know very little about it due to the lack of availability in my area.

this comes from my experience working for jeep for several years.

also Carmax is a sales company they neither make or fix any vehicle and I wouldn’t consider them a good source for vehicle specifications.
My apologies also. I have an OB.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27630736/awd-vs-4wd/

https://www.subaru.com.au/articles/car-advice/awd-vs-4wd

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/2wd-awd-or-4wd-how-much-traction-do-you-need/index.htm

https://www.stevenscreekchryslerjeepdodge.net/4x4-vs-awd.htm

Links are in there from both Subaru and Jeep. I am sure CarMax did not create that article but I hope the other ones I sited can be found more Reputable. Eitherway... I am going with what the car manufacturer says it is. I did not mean or want to cause any commotion

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I've been trying to do some research on what the 5 standard GOAT modes actually do in technical terms.... Without much luck.

-Normal mode is a front wheel primary, part-time AWD. The same as an Edge or Escape.
-Eco mode... whatever.
-Slippery mode takes power away from the front tires, reduces throttle response, lowers shift points, softens the steering and maybe makes braking more even and controled.
-Sport is pretty much the opposite while giving more resistance and feedback through the steering wheel.
*However, there is a rumor that sport switches the primary drive to the rear wheels.

And then the mysterious,
-Sand mode. I know it turns off traction control...
All I hear is that it shouldn't be used unless you are in soft sand or snow. But why? Wouldn't it be good for trails too? In sand you would want high revs, all wheels, soft acceleration, no ABS... The only time its bad to have all the wheels spinning 100% is on pavment. But the base, BB and OB don't have locking diff's... so...

Still looking for the best off road settings. Right now: normal mode in "L" with traction control off. If sport does use the rear wheels for primary, that's cool, but I think it would to jumpy for trails.
But what is SAND!

If anyone has more information please let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've been trying to do some research on what the 5 standard GOAT modes actually in do technical terms.... Without much luck.

-Normal mode is a front wheel primary, part-time AWD. The same as an Edge or Escape.
-Eco mode... whatever.
-Slippery mode takes power away from the front tires, reduces throttle response, lowers shift points, softens the steering and maybe makes braking more even and controled.
-Sport is pretty much the opposite while giving more resistance and feedback through the steering wheel.
*However, there is a rumor that sport switches the primary drive to the rear wheels.

And then the mysterious,
-Sand mode. I know it turns off traction control...
All I hear is that it shouldn't be used unless you are in soft sand or snow. But why? Wouldn't it be good for trails too? In sand you would want high revs, all wheels, soft acceleration, no ABS... The only time its bad to have all the wheels spinning 100% is on pavment. But the base, BB and OB don't have locking diff's... so...

Still looking for the best off road settings. Right now: normal mode in "L" with traction control off. If sport does use the rear wheels for primary, that's cool, but I think it would to jumpy for trails.
But what is SAND!

If anyone has more information please let me know.

This is some sweet info. Thank you for all of this. I was just talking to a buddy on how it's difficult to find detailed info on my Bronco Sport, even on Fords website. The owners manual just has very surface level info. He explained it's probably because people don't care too much about that stuff. Clearly a lot of people do, including myself, so your research is a service and I thank you.

With that being said, Do you know more about L? I haven't used it and I've only been off roading a handful of times in which I never put the vehicle in anything other than just normal. I haven't had any issues but if you would be able to expand on the normal mode, L engaged, and traction control off, it would be really helpful for a dummy like myself.

I really enjoy your info on the slippery and sport. Makes sense and is very helpful for me to understand when to engage them.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
This is some sweet info. Thank you for all of this. I was just talking to a buddy on how it's difficult to find detailed info on my Bronco Sport, even on Fords website. The owners manual just has very surface level info. He explained it's probably because people don't care too much about that stuff. Clearly a lot of people do, including myself, so your research is a service and I thank you.

With that being said, Do you know more about L? I haven't used it and I've only been off roading a handful of times in which I never put the vehicle in anything other than just normal. I haven't had any issues but if you would be able to expand on the normal mode, L engaged, and traction control off, it would be really helpful for a dummy like myself.

I really enjoy your info on the slippery and sport. Makes sense and is very helpful for me to understand when to engage them.
Ya, normal mode is just that, normal. But the computer only sends power to the rear wheels if needed or with over half throttle depending on speed, gear, slipage...etc.
Turning the traction control off prevents the computer from stopping a spinning tire. But the "slide?" control stays on. I always turn it off in snow at any depth. That way I know it won't kill the throttle if I mash the gas and start spinning tires. But if it starts to slide/fishtail around a corner the ABS brings it right back. That is something Fords excel at. While fishtailing is fun, that has saved my ass more than once.
"L" is kind of wierd. If your in any gear and press it, it will down shift early raising RPM's to 3-4,000. If you continue to slow it will keep doing that down to 1st. Good if you are towing a heavy load going down hill, coming to a stop sign.
But it prevents up shifting... unless you redline at like 6k, I believe it does then thinking that the driver is an idiot.
Its no "4-Low" ratio but will keep it in first while going slow over obstacles

Last edited:

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Update,
Sport mode doesn't make the rear wheels primary but it does keep them active with any amount of throttle. Still at a lower ratio than the front unless you really get on it.
I still think it would be to tourqey for the trail but definitely gonna give it a try.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
The lower trims have the L button and on the Badlands/FE it is replaced with a M button because those trims have paddle shifters on the wheel. It's detailed on page 166 about the shifter.

Drive (D)
Drive (D) is the normal driving position for
the best fuel economy.
Manual (M) (If Equipped)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the
manual (M) button to activate manual
mode.
In manual (M), you can upshift or
downshift using the paddle shifters.
Low(L)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the low
(L) button to activate low mode.
•Provides maximum engine braking.
•You can shift the transmission into low
(L) at any vehicle speed.
•Is not for use under extended or normal
driving conditions and results in lower
fuel economy.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update,
Sport mode doesn't make the rear wheels primary but it does keep them active with any amount of throttle. Still at a lower ratio than the front unless you really get on it.
I still think it would be to tourqey for the trail but definitely gonna give it a try.
Awesome thank you for this great info. It's much appreciated.

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
The lower trims have the L button and on the Badlands/FE it is replaced with a M button because those trims have paddle shifters on the wheel. It's detailed on page 166 about the shifter.

Drive (D)
Drive (D) is the normal driving position for
the best fuel economy.
Manual (M) (If Equipped)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the
manual (M) button to activate manual
mode.
In manual (M), you can upshift or
downshift using the paddle shifters.
Low(L)
With your vehicle in drive (D), press the low
(L) button to activate low mode.
•Provides maximum engine braking.
•You can shift the transmission into low
(L) at any vehicle speed.
•Is not for use under extended or normal
driving conditions and results in lower
fuel economy.
I think L is the equivalent of toyot overdrive in older models..if youre crusing at 8th gear and about to hit uphill and then press L, will it downshift? Yes? To what gear? In my other car i can limit to 4th gear to help the engine uphill extensively...i want that in the BS

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
L does sound a bit like an electric overdrive.

I have an M. I struggle to find a use for the M and paddle shifters. The most useful thing I found so far is that it will let me start in 2nd so if I was on a slippery surface I could lower the wheel power a bit. It's more work to use the paddle than just press the gas. This thing really goes when you want it to, and it's two or three clicks to dial Sport up for an uphill pass.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I think L is the equivalent of toyot overdrive in older models..if youre crusing at 8th gear and about to hit uphill and then press L, will it downshift? Yes? To what gear? In my other car i can limit to 4th gear to help the engine uphill extensively...i want that in the BS
Ya, like I said "L" is kinda wierd. Whatever gear your in it will jump the RPMs high, down shift one and continue to do that as you slow down. Kind of like an overactive tow mode.
But once its on you can't speed up because it won't up shift unless you redline. I wouldn't use it unless I wanted to stay in first on the trail or really needed it while towing a heavy load and slowing to a stop, or on a very steep hill that I underestimated.
If I'm towing I would just leave it in sport.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ya, like I said "L" is kinda wierd. Whatever gear your in it will jump the RPMs high, down shift one and continue to do that as you slow down. Kind of like an overactive tow mode.
But once its on you can't speed up because it won't up shift unless you redline. I wouldn't use it unless I wanted to stay in first on the trail or really needed it while towing a heavy load and slowing to a stop, or on a very steep hill that I underestimated.
If I'm towing I would just leave it in sport.
Great info. So, in your opinion, what would be a good scenario to use L on a trail? When would you choose to use L on a trail? Are there certain conditions that you are looking out for?

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Great info. So, in your opinion, what would be a good scenario to use L on a trail? When would you choose to use L on a trail? Are there certain conditions that you are looking out for?
Any kind of crawling or navigating around obsticals. Slow and steady.
But it would be off as soon as I saw any mud, snow or sand and needed to pick up the pace.
I had a Jeep CJ7 that I could put in 4-low, first gear and not touch the gas. Just idle down rocky terrain until I needed a little power
Off road here is a somewhat different than the mud of the southeast or the sand and gravel of the southwest.
Sponsored

Last edited: