Badlands Lemon? Any advice will be helpful.

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
So I purchased a brand new 2021 BS Badlands Nov 2021. My Bronco has been in service 5 times already with brake issues just like the recall on the BS with 1.5 liter but mine is a 2.O L Ecoboost. This has been going on for over a year now. I've also have had a burning smell anytime the vehicle goes over 55 which has been ignored when I've repeatedly have mentioned. Just recently with the bad weather conditions, my Bronco would not start saying it could not detect my key fob which was right by the ignition nor would doors unlock and interior lights come on by them self. I have addressed my concerns and also my safety which tend to be ignored. I have an appt with a different dealership and basically having to wait a month and waiting to be seen Jan 9th. I've filed a case with Ford Corp. which I don't feel is helping much but the lady working my case is nice but nice isn't resolving the problem. She did mention a purchase buy back but feel either way I lose. The dealership where I purchased my vehicle said that when my parts come in which is supposed to be now on Dec 30th (not holding my breath) that they can not get my Bronco in till Jan 23rd. Is anyone else with a BS Badlands having to deal with all this?
Sponsored

mmazz71

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Gray
Had many many issues with my Ford Outerbanks. Brakes suck. Moaning and they did replace the front's under recall. My Keyfob did the same thing. They say it could have the signal blocked.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
No burning smell issue with my Badlands.

I've had a few issues, they came up after 1 1/2 years of ownership.
1. Turn signal hyper flash due to burned out brake light bulb. (Replaced bulb)
2. Random no start situation (Battery issue)
3. Auto start stop intermitent (Battery issue)
It did take me 2 separate dealer visits to get the battery replaced.
1st time dealer said everything checks out normal.
2nd time I said I don't want the vehicle back until its fixed. Dealer replaced battery.
Now everything DOES work as it should.
I did mention the rear brake moan when cold, dealer said they haven't received the TSB repair kits yet.
I will ask again when I go in for my next scheduled service.

As for your dealer service experience, you need to be persistant, the dealers don't seem to want to perform warranty work.

OP
OP
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

2nd time I said I don't want the vehicle back until its fixed. Dealer replaced battery.
I did mention the rear brake moan when cold, dealer said they haven't received the TSB repair kits yet.

As for your dealer service experience, you need to be persistant, the dealers don't seem to want to perform warranty work.
Wow! Hoping this gets resolved because dealing with this over a year now is frustrating and I've been very persistent & documenting everything which they seem to forget. I just don't understand why my vehicle is having the same issues as the basic 1.5L models and I haven't noticed anyone else with the Badlands having the same issue and if they are than why hasn't a recall been announced?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Wow! Hoping this gets resolved because dealing with this over a year now is frustrating and I've been very persistent & documenting everything which they seem to forget. I just don't understand why my vehicle is having the same issues as the basic 1.5L models and I haven't noticed anyone else with the Badlands having the same issue and if they are than why hasn't a recall been announced?
The rear brake moaning issue hasn't been a deal breaker. The moan mostly happens in the morning when backing out of the driveway, once things are warmed up it doesn't make any noise.

A number of people have had problems which are battery related, both 1.5 and 2.0 models are affected. Newer vehicles are showing to be extra sensitive to voltages and grounds, voltage needs to be within certain limits and grounds need to be good.
There currently isn't a recall or TSB that I know of for this.
The Battery is covered under the 3 year 36000 mile warranty.

After my battery was replaced, the random no start was cured and auto start stop works like it should, invisible.

Besides your key fob issue, what are the other problems?
What parts are supposed to come in?
I assume the dealer hasn't made any repairs because of waiting for parts

The rear brake moan issue is a TSB not a recall.

There are 8 recalls for the 2021 model year on the NHTSA. gov site:

1. Cracked fuel injectors 1.5 models
2. Engine oil leak 1.5 models
3. Reduced braking performance
4. Inadequate bonding on moonroof glass panel
5. Fuel delivery module may leak
6. Missing or loose rear suspension bolts
7. Incorrect front lower control arms
8. Inadequate lubrication in rear drive unit

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
No issues with mine at all other than the moaning of the brakes in the morning which really doesn’t bother me. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I’ve only had mine 9 months so there is that as well.

OP
OP
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No issues with mine at all other than the moaning of the brakes in the morning which really doesn’t bother me. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I’ve only had mine 9 months so there is that as well.
Glad to hear you're not having any issues! Mine has gotten worse. It just makes me wonder more why mine has all these issues. Mine started the 2nd day I had it home. It only had 17 miles on it. It has also been my front & back brakes. I truly hope no one else has all these problems and really wish it would get resolved. My other concern is how much the vehicle value depreciates.

OP
OP
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear brake moaning issue hasn't been a deal breaker. The moan mostly happens in the morning when backing out of the driveway, once things are warmed up it doesn't make any noise.

A number of people have had problems which are battery related, both 1.5 and 2.0 models are affected. Newer vehicles are showing to be extra sensitive to voltages and grounds, voltage needs to be within certain limits and grounds need to be good.
There currently isn't a recall or TSB that I know of for this.
The Battery is covered under the 3 year 36000 mile warranty.

After my battery was replaced, the random no start was cured and auto start stop works like it should, invisible.

Besides your key fob issue, what are the other problems?
What parts are supposed to come in?
I assume the dealer hasn't made any repairs because of waiting for parts

The rear brake moan issue is a TSB not a recall.

There are 8 recalls for the 2021 model year on the NHTSA. gov site:

1. Cracked fuel injectors 1.5 models
2. Engine oil leak 1.5 models
3. Reduced braking performance
4. Inadequate bonding on moonroof glass panel
5. Fuel delivery module may leak
6. Missing or loose rear suspension bolts
7. Incorrect front lower control arms
8. Inadequate lubrication in rear drive unit
I'm still waiting on brake parts which has been delayed a few times. Have front & back brake issues since I purchased it over a year ago. Burning smell if I drive over 55 mph, Interior lights come on by them self when not in vehicle, head lights stay on sometimes when parked and won't go off unless I hit the key fob a few times, Car wouldn't start in cold weather conditions. I couldn't detect my key fob which was right by key ignition. The sensor on door handles sometimes don't work when I try to open. I have to then use the key fob. When I finally do get my parts and go back to dealership for the 6th time, I'm not leaving until the whole vehicle is completely inspected.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Mine is front and back brakes also. Front brakes will go full air horn and vibrate the wheel terrible for a min before it goes away. I have 7k ish in miles. Same as op. Vehicle was good until I put like 50 miles on it. Basically drive home from dealer before I started to have issues. Mine doesn’t smell of burning at least.
I had two speakers blown. Passenger door from factory and then blew again after it was replaced about a month later. My bypass valve went leaving me stranded for a week. The roof panel between the windscreen and the moonroof separating from vehicle. Had rattle in moonroof before I bought it that took two dealers and multiple visits to fix. DRLs stay on anytime you use the headlights and go to lock it afterwards. You have to fiddle with the fob or disconnect battery. Is crap shoot. The head unit screen goes black but still plays sound. You lose rear sensors, hvac and all screen functions. Even the hard buttons don’t work. Or screen will stay on and become unresponsive and have to disconnect battery so it doesn’t kill my battery. Took over 6 months to get roof panel in and installed. Always drives weird. Pulls some way or another. Been aligned 3-4 times and best it’s been but still not right even though in spec. Was off when I bought it and had it aligned before delivery. Panels on rear quarters to the rear bumper were misaligned and not properly seated. Was able to pop in and fix myself. Also paint chips from hella overspray. Also the constant rattles, And buzzing of interior panels. I’ve filed case with Ford and dealer. I’m still months out on parts. Be it, the brakes tsb, the headlight switch, the head unit, the replacement parts are still months out with no ETA. And then the two month wait to get into the dealer after the part is in. Plus they can only fix one issue per visit. Only thing I get is sorry about your luck. Its so unusual you’re having these issues. FU Ford. Is sad. Because vehicle is really good when it all works together.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Good morning! Are you still experiencing braking noise concerns with your Bronco? If you send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info, I'd be happy to look into things on my end.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Does anything ever come of this "Ford looking into this for you" post? I feel like they are just vin tracking to see if they can pinpoint build dates with related issues. Not actually helping a specific individual with their issues.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Good morning! Are you still experiencing braking noise concerns with your Bronco? If you send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info, I'd be happy to look into things on my end.
Thanks for your response.

Rear brake moan is not a big issue in my case.
Dealer is supposed to notify me when the TSB kit hardware comes in.
If I don't get any traction by the time my next service is due, I'll reach out.

Thanks again.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm still waiting on brake parts which has been delayed a few times. Have front & back brake issues since I purchased it over a year ago. Burning smell if I drive over 55 mph, Interior lights come on by them self when not in vehicle, head lights stay on sometimes when parked and won't go off unless I hit the key fob a few times, Car wouldn't start in cold weather conditions. I couldn't detect my key fob which was right by key ignition. The sensor on door handles sometimes don't work when I try to open. I have to then use the key fob. When I finally do get my parts and go back to dealership for the 6th time, I'm not leaving until the whole vehicle is completely inspected.
In addition to your brake problems which are concerning, you could also be having battery voltage issues.
Low voltage can cause strange behaviors.
You can have the battery checked at most any chain auto parts store for free.
If found to be a problem, you can add that to your warranty claim.
The BMC (Battery management) software can turn off various electrically controled features to protect the battery from discharge. Which for example could make the door handle sensors inoperable.

Has the dealer actually verified your concerns?
Did the dealer service writer or tech take an actual test drive with you to observe your brake problem and or the burning smell?
Obviously brake problems can be a huge safety issue, what is their response?
Does the dealer say the vehicle is safe and is just making a noise.

Just doesn't make sense having to go to the dealer 5 times without any resolution other than waiting for parts.

I see you were going to try another dealer, has that happened?

Has the Ford rep that follows this board responded to any of your posts?

OP
OP
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is front and back brakes also. Front brakes will go full air horn and vibrate the wheel terrible for a min before it goes away. I have 7k ish in miles. Same as op. Vehicle was good until I put like 50 miles on it. Basically drive home from dealer before I started to have issues. Mine doesn’t smell of burning at least.
I had two speakers blown. Passenger door from factory and then blew again after it was replaced about a month later. My bypass valve went leaving me stranded for a week. The roof panel between the windscreen and the moonroof separating from vehicle. Had rattle in moonroof before I bought it that took two dealers and multiple visits to fix. DRLs stay on anytime you use the headlights and go to lock it afterwards. You have to fiddle with the fob or disconnect battery. Is crap shoot. The head unit screen goes black but still plays sound. You lose rear sensors, hvac and all screen functions. Even the hard buttons don’t work. Or screen will stay on and become unresponsive and have to disconnect battery so it doesn’t kill my battery. Took over 6 months to get roof panel in and installed. Always drives weird. Pulls some way or another. Been aligned 3-4 times and best it’s been but still not right even though in spec. Was off when I bought it and had it aligned before delivery. Panels on rear quarters to the rear bumper were misaligned and not properly seated. Was able to pop in and fix myself. Also paint chips from hella overspray. Also the constant rattles, And buzzing of interior panels. I’ve filed case with Ford and dealer. I’m still months out on parts. Be it, the brakes tsb, the headlight switch, the head unit, the replacement parts are still months out with no ETA. And then the two month wait to get into the dealer after the part is in. Plus they can only fix one issue per visit. Only thing I get is sorry about your luck. Its so unusual you’re having these issues. FU Ford. Is sad. Because vehicle is really good when it all works together.
Mine rattles like crazy too but that was completely ignored. The burning smell I get is not from brakes but when I go over 55mph. I can't begin to tell you what I've dealt with but it seems you have lots of issues as well. And agreed that Ford doesn't seem to care.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Mine rattles like crazy too but that was completely ignored. The burning smell I get is not from brakes but when I go over 55mph. I can't begin to tell you what I've dealt with but it seems you have lots of issues as well. And agreed that Ford doesn't seem to care.
The majority of Ford dealers are incapable of fixing anything nor do they care. Most just want you to go away and don't come back unless its to buy another vehicle.

I recommend you get online look at dealer's service reviews to find a good dealer. The good ones are out there. Also Lincoln dealers will do warranty work on Fords and they have better coffee too.

If that does not work out I would sell it to Carmax or trade it in go buy another brand.

Sorry you are suffering this grief from the incompetent dealer service.
Sponsored