PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Hey as usual looks like everyone here is between 1 and 100.
My pug will be 14 on Monday the 15th of May

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Everything > Star Wars
(especially Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation)

Not to derail the thread but two things:
1) Star Wars sucks
2) don’t correct your elders!
I liked you. Now I don't know.

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Everything > Star Wars
(especially Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation)

Not to derail the thread but two things:
1) Star Wars sucks
2) don’t correct your elders!
I have to admit....I saw all three original Star Wars movies...in the theatre...on their first run. I also watched he original Star Trek TV Show in the 60's before there were re-runs.......

So I am in one of the last categories.....:(

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
They are marketing to younger people with active lifestyles but most of us don't have money to buy cars. Majority of new car buyers are in their 50s.
It's the same problem with new houses. No one makes cheap cars anymore, and no one makes cheap houses--there just isn't any money to be made with them.

Many youngsters complain--rightly so--about the explosion in the cost of a house. "How is it my Dad could afford a house and I can't?" Well...

In 1970 the average new house size was something like 1500'. Today it's over 2500'. Average lot sizes have grown as well. Back then you could build just about anywhere. Sure, there were SOME zoning laws, but nothing like today. Zoning restrictions have driven up the cost of just an empty lot WAY beyond true market demand. And building codes are a lot different too, further adding to the costs. Between government-imposed zoning restrictions, building codes, and consumer demand for bigger and bigger houses fueled by cheap credit, a new house is pretty much unobtanium for the average bear.

Same goes for cars. Ford stopped making sedans because it was selling them at a loss. Its F-series trucks and SUVs were essentially subsidizing sedan sales. Why keep making something you can't sell for a profit? Once it stopped making sedans it realized that people who can afford to buy a truck or SUV can afford one with all the bells and whistles, especially since lending institutions caved and started allowing 72+ month terms on loans. Government-mandated safety and emissions standards have also added to costs.

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I'm generation x

thanks for doing the age survey. it's more evenly spread out than I expected.

I'm also curious men vs women

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
As a nearly 60 year individual, I can tell you that since the beginning of cars, they always market the cars to younger people. You can sell a younger image car to an older person, but you can't sell an older image car to a younger person (or many older people either) ;)
Tell that to the Buick division of GM!

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It's the same problem with new houses. No one makes cheap cars anymore, and no one makes cheap houses--there just isn't any money to be made with them.

Many youngsters complain--rightly so--about the explosion in the cost of a house. "How is it my Dad could afford a house and I can't?" Well...

In 1970 the average new house size was something like 1500'. Today it's over 2500'. Average lot sizes have grown as well. Back then you could build just about anywhere. Sure, there were SOME zoning laws, but nothing like today. Zoning restrictions have driven up the cost of just an empty lot WAY beyond true market demand. And building codes are a lot different too, further adding to the costs. Between government-imposed zoning restrictions, building codes, and consumer demand for bigger and bigger houses fueled by cheap credit, a new house is pretty much unobtanium for the average bear.

Same goes for cars. Ford stopped making sedans because it was selling them at a loss. Its F-series trucks and SUVs were essentially subsidizing sedan sales. Why keep making something you can't sell for a profit? Once it stopped making sedans it realized that people who can afford to buy a truck or SUV can afford one with all the bells and whistles, especially since lending institutions caved and started allowing 72+ month terms on loans. Government-mandated safety and emissions standards have also added to costs.
The 72month car loan option nearly floored me when I was buying the BS last year. I couldn't believe anyone would want to do that; that is just a waste of your hard earned money. I passed on that option, took a 36month loan instead. Takes me back to old school training - if you can't afford it, don't overextend yourself trying to buy it.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51

Wife and I got married right out of college. Bought a new construction 2 bedroom, one bath house. 970 square feet of living space. We were happy that we did not have to rent. Paid $32,000.00 for the house at 17% interest. That was during the Ronald Reagan days. It took a whopping $2,000.00 down to buy.

Move to two years ago, my son and his wife tried to buy a home on their own. To qualify, they needed $14,000.00 for first year taxes, first payment, and closing costs in their bank account. Mom and dad had to pay that.

Yes, it's hard for young folks to buy a house today.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
“I just realized I am as old as dirt now” Hope I get my Bronco Sport soon.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Wife and I got married right out of college. Bought a new construction 2 bedroom, one bath house. 970 square feet of living space. We were happy that we did not have to rent. Paid $32,000.00 for the house at 17% interest. That was during the Ronald Reagan days. It took a whopping $2,000.00 down to buy.

Move to two years ago, my son and his wife tried to buy a home on their own. To qualify, they needed $14,000.00 for first year taxes, first payment, and closing costs in their bank account. Mom and dad had to pay that.

Yes, it's hard for young folks to buy a house today.
I don’t know how kids do it nowadays. I bought my first house 20 years ago now. Initially I’d thought I could do something modest for $150K. I quickly realized I needed to increase my budget by 10%. Negotiations got me a nice starter bungalow at $168K. All the money in the world at the time here. 3rd house now moving up the property ladder & while it’s by far the best, it still needs gutting. Yet in this market 6 years later I couldn’t afford to replace it if I had to now. I really don’t know what young people do nowadays. Glad you could help! I wasn’t without help. But. My generation hasn’t had the opportunities to be able to help the next one maybe to the same extent.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“I just realized I am as old as dirt now” Hope I get my Bronco Sport soon.
Looks like the pug is tired of waiting too.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
27, and worked my absolute tail off to be in a place where I could order a Badlands with all the bells and whistles.

I grew up in a financially challenged household since my dad passed when I was young. First in my family to go to college, moved away from home at 17. Worked full time during undergrad and took three unpaid research internships too. Got a full ride to graduate school. Earned the most competitive government fellowship in the country in 2021 and fast-tracked to a leadership position with the Forest Service straight after getting my master's. Bought my Sport in October and my first home in March! Hard work pays off. đź’Ş
Yes, A fine young person working hard. I for one am appreciative of this. Gives me faith that things will be just fine.
Sponsored