Auto Stop / Start not working

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Hi there! If you are still experiencing these concerns, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information. I can look into things on my end.
It’s from driving too many trips of only a mile or two. We have the same issue with our Explorer. No big deal.
Sponsored

pkmed

Outer Banks
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I had the same issue when I had my 2019 Escape Titanium. It turns out that if the battery is defective and doesn't hold the proper charge the first thing to be disabled is the auto start/stop. When the dealership replaced the battery under warranty the issue went away and everything worked as it was designed. This will NOT give a "Check Engine" light since it is a battery issue and not a mechanical issue. Also just so you know, mt 2021 Badlands was in for going into sleep mode constantly. Defective battery from the factory. Battery also replaced under warranty and no issues since. A lot of Bronco and Maverick owners have reported battery issues from the factory which were fixed by replacing the battery with a new one. Seems like Ford received a bad batch of batteries from their supplier. Make sure the dealership does a battery charge state test to verify the battery state. If the battery is defective it WILL fail this test.
This and the others that mentioned battery. Had the same issue in my '17 Escape, dealership said battery was fine and didn't know what the issue was. I let it go and ended up replacing the battery a couple months later, the problem was fixed.

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I am having the same issue? as you and didn't think too much of it. I stopped running AC as it is getting colder here and figured it was due to that. If it's the battery, nothing else is affected yet for me so I won't mind as the AS/S feature wasn't a pain like it is to others. I just learned to not fully press the brakes down past a certain threshold (slightly past not actually stopping). If i wanted it to engage I would just press further and it would kick on when I wanted it on.

Hooligan88

Outer Banks
First Name
Holli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
I just got my vehicle 3 weeks ago and my auto stop has not worked yet. I shut off radio, fan and everything and the a with line through it comes on.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I just got my vehicle 3 weeks ago and my auto stop has not worked yet. I shut off radio, fan and everything and the a with line through it comes on.
I'll tell you the same thing as the other people that ask this. Charge the battery. Even "new" it's been sitting for a good while between warehouses and shipping yards. Of course, not everyone has a charger and they aren't the cheapest piece of equipment, but it is a good investment towards self-maintenance.

The symbol with the line means the ASS is off due to one or more vehicle conditions. Somewhere someone posted that page of the owner guide.

I don't know what you're expecting the Ford CS to actually help with, but if you want to contact them, you'll need to send a "message", not a "reply" or "quote". You can do that by clicking on the user (hovering on desktop) and choosing "start conversation". I really, really wish they'd actually put those instructions on their signature or on the repeated, canned messages they drop. :rolleyes:

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Is there and stop/start message on any screen? I also have a '22 Escape. It has the 13" dash. I can scroll through for the status of the AS/S. As posted above, it doesn't kick in if I just drive around town a lot.

If I get the gray A with a line through it, the message may say something like "... vehicle charging."

The BS owner's manual, page 160, lists conditions for AS/S to be operational. Things like high altitude will defeat it.

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My 2022 OBX is 8 months old, 4200 miles. No issues until 2 weeks ago. Auto stop/start stopped working.
When I stop with my foot on the brake, the grey A on the dash lights up.
Car is warmed up, no air, no heat, nothing on. Outside temp @ 65F.
Information message for S/S shows " Engine on, working normally," or something like that. Battery cables tight. Battery voltage 12.49.
Anyone have any idea why this stopped working? Am I missing something ?.
Dealer seems uninterested in looking at it because the " Check engine " light is not on.
Foghorn
Just had the same problem ... btw. - I like that feature ... nothing wrong with engine shutting off at wait times.
So, I measured the battery voltage .. just over 12 V parked. Every function other than Auto Start/Stop working fine and following all the recommendation list.
Went to the dealership ... got a brand-new battery!! Works just fine now.
So - it should be 12.6 or so volts ... otherwise it won't work. Also - the radio shut off early, after a minute or so, without anything else on. It should run forever.
But you'll get the message "Shut off to save battery" (something like that)
That is the indicator the dealer needs to check the battery and replace it.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The problem will get worse in the winter. I found with my truck that making a 4 mile trip to work and back every day in the winter would eventually run the battery down. Highway driving will recharge the battery if battery and alternator are in good condition. I have a stop light a few hundred yards from my house. Auto stop never works at that light. The battery hasn't recovered enough from starting the car.

I put a trickle charger on my truck overnight a few times during the winter since I'm not driving my diesel Superduty much because of the price of diesel.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I am stopping into my Ford dealer today with a proposition they may or may not take.
I’m still under warranty and need a new battery. I’m getting that ‘To conserve’ message.
My proposal:
Deduct the cost of a new OEM battery, that will be paid anyway by my warranty, from the BEST you got AGM Battery and I’ll pay the difference…..
Penny for your thoughts?
Will Ford bite ?
I dunno,

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am stopping into my Ford dealer today with a proposition they may or may not take.
I’m still under warranty and need a new battery. I’m getting that ‘To conserve’ message.
My proposal:
Deduct the cost of a new OEM battery, that will be paid anyway by my warranty, from the BEST you got AGM Battery and I’ll pay the difference…..
Penny for your thoughts?
Will Ford bite ?
I dunno,
They might, but if you are getting the ‘To conserve…’ message I think it’s because you simply aren’t driving enough for it to recover. The AGM might last longer, but it still needs amps-in >= amps-out.

I guess you could have a bum battery, but when I added 3 days of driving 12 miles per week my problem cleared right up. Now that my seasonal job is over and I’m back to many short trips, I expect I’ll soon start receiving the ‘To conserve…’ message.

Nw_adventure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-Maverick
Maverick owner here- A/S/S - Stopped working a couple weeks ago. 5/23 Build date- Battery already toast in 4 months - Dealer exchanged with a 760/AGM- Now its not working again @ elevation with temps around 40... weird

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick owner here- A/S/S - Stopped working a couple weeks ago. 5/23 Build date- Battery already toast in 4 months - Dealer exchanged with a 760/AGM- Now its not working again @ elevation with temps around 40... weird
So how many miles do you drive per day/week?