Auto Stop / Start not working

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My 2022 OBX is 8 months old, 4200 miles. No issues until 2 weeks ago. Auto stop/start stopped working.
When I stop with my foot on the brake, the grey A on the dash lights up.
Car is warmed up, no air, no heat, nothing on. Outside temp @ 65F.
Information message for S/S shows " Engine on, working normally," or something like that. Battery cables tight. Battery voltage 12.49.
Anyone have any idea why this stopped working? Am I missing something ?.
Dealer seems uninterested in looking at it because the " Check engine " light is not on.
Foghorn
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yeah be happy and Don’t tell Ford or there will be another recall. :,P
But seriously, guys,, and gals, :
With the engine off, the fully charged car battery voltage will measure 12.6 volts. This is known as “resting voltage.” When the engine is running, battery voltage will typically rise to 13.5 to 14.5 volts. The battery is boosted to these higher levels by the alternator.
Op, err as you were,
Houston, we may have a problem. Take it in.
Warranty Remember ?

Last edited:

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
My 2022 OBX is 8 months old, 4200 miles. No issues until 2 weeks ago. Auto stop/start stopped working.
Information message for S/S shows " Engine on, working normally," or something like that. Battery cables tight. Battery voltage 12.49.
Dealer seems uninterested in looking at it because the " Check engine " light is not on.
Foghorn
My assumption is that one or more of the conditions is not met and is not activating like normal.

Ford Bronco Sport Auto Stop / Start  not working Screenshot_20221024_181547

I would assume as the season turns colder and colder into winter for me, my Auto Start Stop will not turn on as much depending on temps.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Charge your battery. Seriously. I know you measured the voltage. I never liked the factory supplied battery. Whenever I charge mine, the ASS engages like crazy. Even 1 second stops at signs. When I haven't juiced it up, the system seems to be more reluctant to engage.

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Foghorn
I had the same issue when I had my 2019 Escape Titanium. It turns out that if the battery is defective and doesn't hold the proper charge the first thing to be disabled is the auto start/stop. When the dealership replaced the battery under warranty the issue went away and everything worked as it was designed. This will NOT give a "Check Engine" light since it is a battery issue and not a mechanical issue. Also just so you know, my 2021 Badlands was in for going into sleep mode constantly. Defective battery from the factory. Battery also replaced under warranty and no issues since. A lot of Bronco and Maverick owners have reported battery issues from the factory which were fixed by replacing the battery with a new one. Seems like Ford received a bad batch of batteries from their supplier. Make sure the dealership does a battery charge state test to verify the battery state. If the battery is defective it WILL fail this test.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
The original battery on my Escape had an issue. It affected the stop/start function. Ford kept telling me the battery was fine. I replaced it before the car reached 4 years old and everything electronic seemed to work better, including the stop/start.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes. Like others I agree it is the battery. My 2016 F-150 stop doing auto/stop about 6 months before my battery needed to be replaced. Auto/stop resumed as soon as the battery was changed.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Foghorn
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

OP
OP

Foghorn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had done all the suggestions, except for replacing the battery.
Called the dealer, again, and just said I was having a problem, did not mention what it was, and asked if they could do a battery state of charge test. The service advisor immediately asked me if I was having a start problem. That seems positive, he made the connection right away.
Will make appointment.
Foghorn

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Do you have the FordPass app? If you had a battery issue the app would have notified you that “Remote features have been disabled “. I get this when I drive many short trips. The best part is that the low battery disables the auto stop/start “feature”!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Do you have the FordPass app? If you had a battery issue the app would have notified you that “Remote features have been disabled “. I get this when I drive many short trips. The best part is that the low battery disables the auto stop/start “feature”!
Hi there! If you are still experiencing these concerns, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information. I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored